Sponsored

Stock height JTR - factory shock valving is WAY off, replacements options?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The rebound damping on the factory Fox shocks seems drastically off on our JTR (2/20 build month). Dropping the OEM AT tires down to 38 lb helped a tiny bit, the dealer left them at 42/43, but this is intended for towing, so I'd expect 37 lb to be the norm. The new BFG AT KO's we put on haven't helped, but they are inflated to 37/38 as well. Regardless of tire pressure, this kind of uncontrolled motion is unexpected and unwelcome.

By drastically off, I mean the wiggle-wobble on the freeway and bounding up and down - heck, we named it Tigger! I have replaced shocks for 'better' options on pretty much every 4x4 I've ever owned, except an H2. This isn't one of those "wait until one starts leaking" and find something better, it's MUCH worse! It's so bad with these Fox shocks I am almost wondering if one isn't blown - seriously.

I'm getting an alignment done at a suspension specialty shop because of the wandering / lack of caster, and will ask them if they have any diagnoses. I've no faith in the dealer service departments, obviously.

Finding replacement shocks for a stock height JTR is tough, I think because these Fox 2.0 SHOULD be quite good - so any replacements seem to assume lifted dimensions.

Does anyone else find the tuning atrocious?
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of the wandering I got was minimized by adding a fox steering stabilizer. I am also going to have the Synergy sector shaft brace installed which is also supposed to help. The steering box bolts not being torqued properly has been coming up as a correction to multiple peoples steering woes as of late as well.

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I love the Falcon adjustable shocks. I will be throwing those and their stabilizer on my JTU when it gets here.

highoctane

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I still have the oem JTR Fox shocks on my truck with the Evo 2.5” suspension kit and shock extension brackets. That bounce is gone in my truck with the Evo springs. The oem springs and Fox shocks don’t seem to pair together well.

Edit: Wanted add; the inability to set a good caster angle on the JL/JT front axles are one of it's negatives. There just isn't enough positive caster built into the axle housing. You start to rotate the pinion way too far out of limits before getting a good caster angle. When I had my alignment done I was hoping to get 5-6 degrees of caster out of it to firm up the steering and make it a bit less flighty, but I just wasn't able to without rotating the pinion too far down. An aftermarket axle housing like the Dynatrac PR44 or XD60 has the axle end forgings/Cs rotated a bit more which allows you to get more caster while maintaining a good pinion angle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Well, good to know I'm not the only one thinking the suspension isn't fully baked.

Between towing and the stature of my fiance', I don't think a lift is in the recipe right now. Maybe when she gets her Cybertruck I'll rethink that.

I took the truck to my favorite suspension shop - they're the retail storefront for Hellwigs, among other things. The factory alignment has too much toe in as far as Larry is concerned, which by implication is trying to compensate for inadequate caster. He told me to live with it. We had a good laugh when I said that's why I brought it to you, if the dealer told me that there would have been a fight!

I had a 97 Ranger 4x4 with cut and turned beams, I guess I'll wait for a serious lift to fix the issue on the JTR with Dynatracs. Can't understand why the factory geometry is buggered like that.

Thanks for the insight, @highoctane !

I still have the oem JTR Fox shocks on my truck with the Evo 2.5” suspension kit and shock extension brackets. That bounce is gone in my truck with the Evo springs. The oem springs and Fox shocks don’t seem to pair together well.

Edit: Wanted add; the inability to set a good caster angle on the JL/JT front axles are one of it's negatives. There just isn't enough positive caster built into the axle housing. You start to rotate the pinion way too far out of limits before getting a good caster angle. When I had my alignment done I was hoping to get 5-6 degrees of caster out of it to firm up the steering and make it a bit less flighty, but I just wasn't able to without rotating the pinion too far down. An aftermarket axle housing like the Dynatrac PR44 or XD60 has the axle end forgings/Cs rotated a bit more which allows you to get more caster while maintaining a good pinion angle.
Sponsored