Sponsored

Stock Rubicon JT MPG--What are you getting?

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Question for you all and please keep the scope in this thread limited to a stock Rubicon trim (4.10 gears with 33" tires, no lift, no significant exterior mods) - what kind of mileage are you seeing?

My LE (with automatic 8 speed) has about 1200 miles on it. Most of my driving has been city driving, with one longer road trip we took last month to the Great Sand Dunes. On that highway trip, I was just about 16 MPG but there were some fierce winds both ways.

Otherwise around town I've yet to maintain 14.0 mpg consistently. This week it is showing closer to 12 since I reset on my last tank. I drive pretty relaxed and don't get too sporty with the gas pedal like I used to when I was tougher. I'm seeing people reporting MUCH higher (16-19 in city driving) online but it is a mix of different trims.

I'm in Colorado Springs where the elevation is over 6000' - does that make that much of a difference?

So again, what does your stock rubicon do for MPGs?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Question for you all and please keep the scope in this thread limited to a stock Rubicon trim (4.10 gears with 33" tires, no lift, no significant exterior mods) - what kind of mileage are you seeing?

My LE has about 1200 miles on it. Most of my driving has been city driving, with one longer road trip we took last month to the Great Sand Dunes. On that highway trip, I was just about 16 MPG but there were some fierce winds both ways.

Otherwise around town I've yet to maintain 14.0 mpg consistently. This week it is showing closer to 12 since I reset on my last tank. I drive pretty relaxed and don't get too sporty with the gas pedal like I used to when I was tougher. I'm seeing people reporting MUCH higher (16-19 in city driving) online but it is a mix of different trims.

I'm in Colorado Springs where the elevation is over 6000' - does that make that much of a difference?

So again, what does your stock rubicon do for MPGs?
Hi Mike,

We're here in COS averaging 16 in town and 20+ on the freeway and running 30 PSI at the corners with a 2" Mopar lift.

Wait until 4k miles on the clock for the best results.

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Mike,

We're here in COS averaging 16 in town and 20+ on the freeway and running 30 PSI at the corners with a 2" Mopar lift.

Wait until 4k miles on the clock for the best results.
That is amazing! How much difference did you see from the beginning? I was strongly considering a lift and bumper, etc but not sure that is a great idea if something is up with my engine/drivetrain. Interesting you're getting that WITH a lift!

I also was running around 30PSI for a while since the tire pyrometer I had gave a flatter readout on the tires (more techy chalk test I suppose!). However I got tired of the warning on the dash so pushed them back to 34 for now...

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is amazing! How much difference did you see from the beginning? I was strongly considering a lift and bumper, etc but not sure that is a great idea if something is up with my engine/drivetrain. Interesting you're getting that WITH a lift!
We have a 12k winch on the bumper too.

With only 1.2k on the odometer, you've got some breaking in to do. As for example, our 2018 2DR JLR manual was only getting 13MPG in the beginning. With 13k miles now it is averaging 19MPG in all city driving. I've also seen 24MPG on the freeway. Give it time and you will get better results.

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
I’m getting an average of 13.6MPG on a stock Rubicon with 8Spd. I have 250 miles on it. 50/50 town/highway driving

I expect this to plummet once I add a lift and tires.
What happens at 4K miles specifically?

Sponsored

Bipolarbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE on order
At 1400 miles stock LE averaging 13.5. Mostly around 4000 elevation on rural roads. Was hoping for much better after seeing others reports.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting an average of 13.6MPG on a stock Rubicon with 8Spd. I have 250 miles on it. 50/50 town/highway driving

At 4k mileage gets better.

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At 1400 miles stock LE averaging 13.5. Mostly around 4000 elevation on rural roads. Was hoping for much better after seeing others reports.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Seeing it in the 12s and 13s is making me a little concerned as well...

We have a 12k winch on the bumper too.

With only 1.2k on the odometer, you've got some breaking in to do. As for example, our 2018 2DR JLR manual was only getting 13MPG in the beginning. With 13k miles now it is averaging 19MPG in all city driving. I've also seen 24MPG on the freeway. Give it time and you will get better results.
OK you're giving me hope! Thank you!

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

From what I can tell this is the mileage at which point most of the engine/drivetrain break in has been accomplished. The metal on metal parts, bearings, sleeves, etc have worn enough that they stay within their new boundaries with a lower level friction than when assembled. Guess I need some more road trips soon ;)

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have a stock (so far!) Rubicon with the 8 speed and 2300 miles.
I have been averaging about 18.8 mpg in mixed driving.

Sponsored

sad85XD

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker Red 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon "Azazel"
Occupation
Auditor
Stock 8 speed Rubi at around 12,000 miles. I drive 90% highway at 80mph for work each day and im at around 15mpg. But anything under 60mph I get closer to 20mpg. I also grew up driving near Chicago so I drive quite aggressively.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From what I can tell this is the mileage at which point most of the engine/drivetrain break in has been accomplished. The metal on metal parts, bearings, sleeves, etc have worn enough that they stay within their new boundaries with a lower level friction than when assembled. Guess I need some more road trips soon ;)
One more thing to know is winter blend fuel is less efficient than summer blend which also causes poor fuel mileage.

https://www.quora.com/Does-winter-blend-gasoline-have-lower-energy-content-than-summer-blend

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had no idea. I knew from when I was a kid that was an issue for diesel but not gasoline!
Plus our 85 octanes "regular" gas also hampers fuel efficiency but paying .20+ more for 87 is just so wrong!

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Averaging about 17.5 at effectively sea level with ~1200 miles on mine.
Sponsored