Stock wheels and 35’s

Komato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Seen several posts here with guys/gals running 35/12.5’s or 315/70’s on stock wheels but what I’ve seen, those size tires have a minimum rim size of at least 8“ and the stockers are only 7.5”. Am I missing something? I’d like to go with one of these 2 sizes but also want to be within spec?
Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Plenty of people do it.
I haven't but I've read concerns of tires wearing unevenly and prematurely.

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
My 315's are on factory 7.5s and are really Ok but I'll be getting some method 8.5s soon.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming your referencing the Overland wheel since you didn’t give a lot of details….(but it is typically narrower at a 7.5 width)……people do those sizes but I personally don’t recommend it.

In keeping my stock wheels I did heavy research on this topic. There’s several threads on it here too if you search.

I have 295/70s and they are that sweet spot for the narrow wheel. Basically a 35 equivalent. I’ll be finally getting rid of the stock wheels soon. But couldn’t justify buying new rims right away when the Overland wheel is arguably the best stock wheel of any trim

Jeep Gladiator Stock wheels and 35’s 84BACEEC-F227-4DE4-B431-79BBAEA6A688

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
35x11.50r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers fit on the 7.5 rim and in spec with no worries of premature tire wear. Same with the Toyo Open Country AT3’s. I’ve had nothing but love for Toyo RT’s so whenever mine need changed I’ll probably try to find a set of those.

FF6D446F-3310-4ED7-9A25-55087D120308.png

F5C508B3-2107-45A0-8D96-8FB42FAAA1A3.png

Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
People push the envelope all the time. Personally I wouldn't risk going with anything over an 11.5" wide tire on a 7.5" wheel.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
the Overland wheel is arguably the best stock wheel of any trim
1. Assuming he's talking about overland because of the width doesn't make sense. All wheels other than high Altitude are 7.5 width.
2. That "arguably" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence. Sure I've seen people who love the overland wheels, but to say something is arguably the best implies there's a reasonable proportion of support for either side, and I don't think there is. I see a LOT more people not liking the overland wheel than I see people liking it. I see the Willys wheels getting a lot more love than the Overland. My personal preference is the Mojave stock, but that's not what I would argue is a popular position.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Seen several posts here with guys/gals running 35/12.5’s or 315/70’s on stock wheels but what I’ve seen, those size tires have a minimum rim size of at least 8“ and the stockers are only 7.5”. Am I missing something? I’d like to go with one of these 2 sizes but also want to be within spec?
Tire mnfr specs usually say 8 or 8.5 minimum for 315/70s and 35x12.5s. Mnfr spec is not the minimum safe spec, it's the minimum recommended spec. Minimum safe is 7.5.

Now whether you're comfortable with minimum safe spec is a personal decision. I've never heard of someone having a failure from 12.5s on 7.5s, and I doubt I ever will (probably extremely rare AND anyone it might happen to woyld never admit it in public), but when you run wides that skinny you're going to need to run lower air pressures to get full width contact, and running that low will generate heat in the sidewall from flexing at highway speeds.

My personal take: if this is a daily driver, don't do it. The cost of proper width rims will pay themselves off over time from not prematurely wearing expensive tires.

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
I use Toyo 35x11.5 all terrain tires on stock wheels, mostly because they fit under my fenders.

Jeep Gladiator Stock wheels and 35’s i-JshGDQ3-X3
How high do those measure if you use a tape measure? 34.5?

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
How high do those measure if you use a tape measure? 34.5?
pretty much every 35 is a 34.5. Which means 34.5 is the no-load mnfr measurement. Throw a load on them and they will measure smaller. "35s" measuring 34 under load would be expected. Imperial tires measure out like TVs, your "35 inch class television" has a 34.5 screen.

It does get weird with metric-imperial though (for example if you've ever heard the term "metric 35s") because that can be all over the place. 255/75r17s are 'true' 32s, whereas metrics 33s on 17s measure 32.7 and metric 35s on 17s measure 34.4 (all not under load)

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Tire mnfr specs usually say 8 or 8.5 minimum for 315/70s and 35x12.5s. Mnfr spec is not the minimum safe spec, it's the minimum recommended spec. Minimum safe is 7.5.

Now whether you're comfortable with minimum safe spec is a personal decision. I've never heard of someone having a failure from 12.5s on 7.5s, and I doubt I ever will (probably extremely rare AND anyone it might happen to woyld never admit it in public), but when you run wides that skinny you're going to need to run lower air pressures to get full width contact, and running that low will generate heat in the sidewall from flexing at highway speeds.

My personal take: if this is a daily driver, don't do it. The cost of proper width rims will pay themselves off over time from not prematurely wearing expensive tires.
What is your reference for minimum safe? I have never seen that term used before. Manufacturer’s list the minimum as 8” or 8.5” where does lower number come from?

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
What is your reference for minimum safe? I have never seen that term used before. Manufacturer’s list the minimum as 8” or 8.5” where does lower number come from?
It's a self maintained chart from discount tire. based on the sizes the chain is willing to warranty the installation for.

Like anything else, it's not a function of what's 100% true or false, but rather who you trust. I trust discount tire, but I also wouldn't personally put 12.5s on 7.5s (my 315s are going on 9s for example)

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
My 315/70-17s do fine on the stock wheel. I’ve gone up to 90 mph on them with zero problems or discomfort. Cornering is definitely softer than the 33s I had previously but that could be the low tire pressure I’m running (34 psi cold).

I haven’t had a chance to wheel them yet so I don’t know how low in pressure I can go before it comes off the bead. I’ll probably stay above 20 psi cold just in case.

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
My 315/70-17s do fine on the stock wheel. I’ve gone up to 90 mph on them with zero problems or discomfort. Cornering is definitely softer than the 33s I had previously but that could be the low tire pressure I’m running (34 psi cold).

I haven’t had a chance to wheel them yet so I don’t know how low in pressure I can go before it comes off the bead. I’ll probably stay above 20 psi cold just in case.
No problem even at 17 psi when wheeling them, I just came back from a trip over White Mtn by Big Bear, no issues whatsoever.
Sponsored