First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
X-ray Tech
Read a lot of bashing on the Stop/Start feature and how the parts will wear out faster, blah, blah, blah... Looking for some real world experiences from those with long-term and/or high mileage ownership. I really like the feature and saving some gas is not a bad thing. Anyone have premature wear issues, oil consumption, broken starter/fly wheel, etc...? Thanks! And love having a Jeep that's a Truck! Best of both worlds!
Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
No issues

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No issues thus far other than a service light that came on last week. It turned off with engine restart, so I expect it might have been the hood switches. I don't expect much additional wear on the starter itself, but a quick start and go at a stop light doesn't read well in my book ... I always try to let the system start and get oil circulating before moving on.

My sole issue with the system is in how it operates ... it will shut off at inconvenient times such as rolling to a quick stop sign and/or when pulling into a parking space or my garage. it will cycle when putting into park. Hopefully Jeep will address this with a reflash at some point. As far as fuel savings ... haven't seen any between the system being active vs deactivated.

slothead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
No issues thus far other than a service light that came on last week. It turned off with engine restart, so I expect it might have been the hood switches. I don't expect much additional wear on the starter itself, but a quick start and go at a stop light doesn't read well in my book ... I always try to let the system start and get oil circulating before moving on.

My sole issue with the system is in how it operates ... it will shut off at inconvenient times such as rolling to a quick stop sign and/or when pulling into a parking space or my garage. it will cycle when putting into park. Hopefully Jeep will address this with a reflash at some point. As far as fuel savings ... haven't seen any between the system being active vs deactivated.
It caused me to hit a beamer in a pickup line. I just gently took my foot off the brake when the guy on the curb motioned us forward, and the Glad started and took off into the back of the beamer. (I was secretly pleased.)

Last edited:

HK31

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
See my thread. System failed. Fried fuses and electrical system. Sitting going on two weeks waiting on repair.

Sponsored

fins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
So when the Stop/Start is activated when I depress the brakes and the engine restarts while my foot is still on the brakes, does this indicate a problem?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I have not seen any kind of real savings using it. I have run mine with the unit on for some time and off doing the same type of driving in the city. I know its a pain in the butt during the hot summer here in South Texas cause when it shuts down the AC goes down. I know folks don't think its that long but when sitting at long lights and its 110 outside sun beaming through the window it gets hot fast.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I don't want to just deactivate it, or permanently disable it. I want to have it and the extra battery completely removed. I hope someday someone can offer doing this as a service for us and charge for it and make a few bucks for himself. Even if I have to wait for the warranty to be out.

HK31

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So when the Stop/Start is activated when I depress the brakes and the engine restarts while my foot is still on the brakes, does this indicate a problem?
The system sounds normal. It is supposed to analyze the load/conditions and turn on/off accordingly. Doesn’t sound like there is an issue (yet) based on what you describe.
But, given what I’ve been dealing with I’m thinking this system is not correct for this vehicle. Small battery and all...

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
It caused me to hit a beamer in a pickup line. I just gently took my foot off the brake when the guy on the curb motioned us forward, and the Glad started and took off into the back of the beamer.
No it didn't. This is in no way the functioning of this feature. You were probably texting.

Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
You can disable the start/stop at the press of a button after you start the engine.
The Start/Stop willshut down the engine when you stop with brake on firmly, slightly release the brake pedal,after you stop, s d the engine starts up, brakes still partially on holding the Jeep (on auto trans, This keeps the JT from moving, until the brake is completely released).

Also, if you have the AC on and the cabin temp drops below the set temperature, the engine will restart automatically, starting up the AC.

slothead, the only way you could have lunged forward into the BMW, is if you had the gas pedal down, whilst releasing the brake quickly, causing the Jeep to leap forward. Not going to happen with normal driving procedure, release brake slowly, give gas gradually as required to move forward slowly.

Start/Stop systems are being mandated and are here to stay as long as we drive gas buggies.
cheers

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want to just deactivate it, or permanently disable it. I want to have it and the extra battery completely removed. I hope someday someone can offer doing this as a service for us and charge for it and make a few bucks for himself. Even if I have to wait for the warranty to be out.
The ESS is part of the whole system. It cannot be removed or permanently disabled. Devices can be installed, or other hacks employed, to keep it from activating and turning off the engine. You can eliminate the ESS battery by installing a Genesis Dual Battery Kit. If you read through the Genesis installation instructions, you may find a way to eliminate the ESS battery without installing the kit.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
My aux battery died on me multiple times, and had it replaced twice (three batteries total) in two months. After the third battery died on me for the second time and left me needing to jump the truck from my GF's car AGAIN, I ripped out the shitty stock aux battery and installed the Genesis dual battery system.

Haven't had issues since.

Source:
- Have 25,000 miles on my Gladiator. 15,000 with Genesis kit.

Thedude42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport S
Read a lot of bashing on the Stop/Start feature and how the parts will wear out faster, blah, blah, blah... Looking for some real world experiences from those with long-term and/or high mileage ownership. I really like the feature and saving some gas is not a bad thing. Anyone have premature wear issues, oil consumption, broken starter/fly wheel, etc...? Thanks! And love having a Jeep that's a Truck! Best of both worlds!
its not for saving gas, its the stupid epa for emissions. i think it hurts your gas mileage i heard spraying to start the engine takes more then just idling... could be wrong but i will always shut it off figured saving my starter the wear and tare would be better.

Reactions: KVJ