Sponsored

Straight 6 update...

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Well, this is a nice surprise. I just assumed that development of the long-rumored FCA straight six was abandoned now that 100% of R&D money is being flooded into electric vehicles. Maybe there is hope now?

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.stellpower.com/news-2021/whats-in-the-new-gme-t6-tornado/

"The target horsepower was in the 400 range, but there are many constraints, so don’t be too disappointed if the new engine is more like 370 horsepower; regardless, it’s likely to have a wider peak torque band than the current 5.7 Hemi. Over time, the GME T6 is likely to replace the 5.7 Hemi, because of its superior power characteristics and higher fuel economy.

The engine first surfaced over three years ago, when Allpar broke the news of a new in-line six, code-named Tornado—just like the classic Kaiser-Jeep Tornado engine. Officially, or at least semi-officially, because officially nobody will confirm the existence of a new in-line six, the naming is just a coincidence; Daimler/Fiat Chrysler has been naming new engines after airplanes for quite some time, and the Tornado, like the Hurricane, Apache, and so on, is also an aircraft. But we can trust Hemmings or Allpar to bring you to speed on the classic engine, so let’s press on.

The inline six was engineered to fit into tight spaces; it’s not just a Hurricane, sorry, GME four-cylinder with two more cylinders added on. One reason for the long time getting this engine into production was trying to keep it as small as possible in length, and we’ve been told it’s only slightly longer than the WGE 2.4 four-cylinder. To get there, Chrysler’s old and reliable iron cylinder liners had to be replaced by another process (Comau’s SmartSpray cylinder hardening process is one possibility, but not the most likely). It’s worth mentioning that saving space is not just needed to fit the engine into vehicles not originally designed for it, such as the Wrangler; it’s also handy to keep the crankshaft as short as possible, especially if higher-performance variants are desired".

Jeep Gladiator Straight 6 update... 1639890298131

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
"What else can we expect in the turbo six? Since it’s a GME design, the actual combustion chambers should be nearly identical to the 2.0 liter engine, with the same head design, fuel injection, and such. The turbo 2.0, in the Wrangler, produces 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque, with a 5,800 rpm redline and 10:1 compression, running on premium fuel (87 works via knock sensors) and assisted by electric motors. As a result, we would expect the 3.0 to be torque-biased. The 2.0 easily outruns the Pentastar in the Wrangler, too, so we might expect the 3.0 to outrace a 5.7 V8 in the Challenger, even if the Challenger is (a) available and (b) boasting more horsepower, albeit with lower torque. Fuel economy is not likely to challenge a Prius, but should be better than the V8.

Timing is to be driven by chains, with dual overhead cams on independent timing systems; expect 24 valves and direct injection, with cooled and throttled EGR. Heads and blocks are both to be aluminum. If a mild hybrid is made, it should be an advanced belt-starter-generator design. The turbocharger will probably be a low-inertia twin-scroll design with electronic wastegate actuation. Expect the intake air cooler, throttle body, and turbocharger to be on a separate cooling circuit.".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
BMW still has an I6, Pontiac's I6 of the 60s was quite the thing back then - especially when they slapped a 4bbl on it for some models. What will be interesting is that that sort of engine design is typically taller than any V8 or V6 so that would seem to limit its application to something that has the hood height, a tall engine bay. With DOHC I can't see these being "short" engines pan to top.
The old slant 6 was in part to keep hood profiles down. Low and lean was the phrase of the day. The V lends itself perfectly to that.
This will be interesting. I've been an I6 fan for as long as I've driven and built cars and engines.
I'd be surprised if they didn't pull some crazy torque out of these in the end.

Sponsored

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No worse than putting headers on a V8 in an A Body Mopar. 😜
Changing spark plugs in a 429 Cobra (with headers horrible job) - unbolt engine mounts, carefully raise engine..... etc.

You I6 fans never had to change exhaust manifolds?
Nope, never had one go bad or crack. I've had I6 engines since my second car when I was about 16 (waaaay back in the 70s)
I put headers on it for a while and that totally screwed things up because there was no longer a heat source for the choke or to keep the intake and carb warm - think carb icing.
So I swapped back to stock exhaust.
I put 120,000 on that one, I've had several since.
Granted they've mostly been AMC but both of my grain trucks were Ford powered by their I6 engines.
Even if I had - it's no worse than many things.
I've fixed exhaust leaks for other people but never viewed I6 manifolds any worse than a valve job on a big block Ford. That's a back breaker.

taintedsaint

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
retired military
I've owned 6 different I-6 engines of various vehicle type and I will absolutely trade/sell y current Gladdy to get into one of these. I think around 280-300 hp would be plenty, I just want that yummy torque

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I put a header on my 4.0l XJ. It’s been a while, but I remember it being a pretty easy job. Accessing anything on the front of that engine was a biatch though…

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I put a header on my 4.0l XJ. It’s been a while, but I remember it being a pretty easy job. Accessing anything on the front of that engine was a biatch though…
The header of the 90s 4.0 would split or crack at the collector. After-market headers used a flexible pipe on one of the pipes to allow for expansion and contraction with less stress. Seems there were other things 3rd party suppliers did. I never had one crack while on a Jeep but the engine I got for my Eagle had a cracked collector and I had a neighbor slice it off and re-weld it. Stupidly, I told him to put it back on in the same position instead of turning it to clear the front differential pinion brace! So I had to make a brace to clear my exhaust. If that head pipe ever goes bad I'll probably have to drop the engine out to replace it.

The holes marked with red lines are where the pinion brace bolts to the block for Eagle - exactly where the 4.0 exhaust points.
This is the only I6 I've owned that had any exhaust manifold issues and this doesn't count as I was pulling the engine out of a Jeep and putting it in my car so it was all apart for a complete rebuild and little bit of upgrading anyway.
This is pretty common on some years of the 4.0. This one went 100,000 miles.

Jeep Gladiator Straight 6 update... donor-jeep-exhaust-041

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
No worse than putting headers on a V8 in an A Body Mopar. 😜
Changing spark plugs in a 429 Cobra (with headers horrible job) - unbolt engine mounts, carefully raise engine..... etc.

Nope, never had one go bad or crack. I've had I6 engines since my second car when I was about 16 (waaaay back in the 70s)
I put headers on it for a while and that totally screwed things up because there was no longer a heat source for the choke or to keep the intake and carb warm - think carb icing.
So I swapped back to stock exhaust.
I put 120,000 on that one, I've had several since.
Granted they've mostly been AMC but both of my grain trucks were Ford powered by their I6 engines.
Even if I had - it's no worse than many things.
I've fixed exhaust leaks for other people but never viewed I6 manifolds any worse than a valve job on a big block Ford. That's a back breaker.
I had an I6 that I put several different manifolds and headers on. Just got tired of it. Wasn’t hard at all after the 3rd time. 😂
Sponsored