Strap tie down points instead of Trail Rail

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
I purchased some attachment points from amazon and some bolts/washers from HD. Gives me several places to tie down straps for about $30 total.
Sponsored

OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M6 x 25, but m6 x 16 would work great I bought stainless. I needed fender washers as the plate hole is larger.

Sponsored

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the info.
I have about 10 of those d rings lying around from an old project I was going to trash. Now I have a use for them, in your face Wifey!

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Nice job. I am looking for the same answer Pry

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I like it!

But I'd also like tie down points lower in the bed too
There are four lower tie down points in the bed, one in each corner. You can see part of one at the bottom of the picture, below the light.

Sponsored

OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do the bolts just screw in or is there a need to get behind the hole and put in a nut? If so how?

The holes are threaded already. These are the holes that you would screw the trail rail system into if you purchased it.

OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only real downside to this is that the screws are fairly small. This limits the actual load that they can hold. With the trail rail system (or something like that), you can spread the load over that rail. The tie down points that I bought are rated for 1500 lbs, but that screw and the side of the bed probably aren't nearly that robust. Just understand what you are wanting to do and how you intend to use these if you choose this route.

I rarely use tie downs. When I do, it's to hold things in place to keep from shifting.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
The only real downside to this is that the screws are fairly small. This limits the actual load that they can hold. With the trail rail system (or something like that), you can spread the load over that rail. The tie down points that I bought are rated for 1500 lbs, but that screw and the side of the bed probably aren't nearly that robust. Just understand what you are wanting to do and how you intend to use these if you choose this route.

I rarely use tie downs. When I do, it's to hold things in place to keep from shifting.
Would using wooden rails and putting the D-ring tie downs over them (and through the threaded holes in the bed) help offset this downside?

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Would using wooden rails and putting the D-ring tie downs over them (and through the threaded holes in the bed) help offset this downside?
I doubt it, because you're still pulling on the invidiual ring, secured with a bolt, as opposed to pulling on the entire beam secured with (3?) bolts evenly spread.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Do the bolts stay in place with the D-rings as you describe, relatively well? Or would vibrations cause them to work themselves out over time? Some blue loctite maybe?
Sponsored