First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
There is a member that put a stubby antenna on the center rollbar. The soft top cleared it and he said there wasn't any interfere as far as transmission/receiving goes. So, what short antenna with magnetic mount do you guys suggest?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
This is where I ran mine too. Many said it would not work, but they are wrong. It works great and gives me plenty of range.

I like that. Nice and clean. I may go that route. I need to pick up an antenna and cable.

Sponsored

Marman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Majove
Occupation
I make cardboard boxes
Mounted mine using a bracket from Cali Raised.

Jeep Gladiator Stubby GMRS antenna question. GMRS

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
This is where I ran mine too. Many said it would not work, but they are wrong. It works great and gives me plenty of range.

I don't think anyone said it wouldn't work but antenna people will tell you it won't work very well compared to being mounted on a proper ground plane. When you raise an antenna like this off the ground plane you introduce loss and usually a big change in impedance. It will certainly talk down the road but not to the potential range it might if mounted on the hood or other large flat conductive ground plane. Not everyone needs maximum range so if it serves your purpose that's great and I'm happy for you, but it still bugs the heck out of us antenna people.

None of these brackets that hang an antenna out in space are made or sold by antenna companies, they are made by off road accy companies that have little knowledge of how an antenna works and what it needs to function properly. I would compare it to a company that makes chop sticks and they designed a rifle scope mount. Will it hold a scope on a rifle? Probably. Will it hold a zero? Probably not.

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer

I also went with the windshield bolt mount, just on the passenger side, and I went with the lower side. Wiper blade just barely clears, it's tucked in between my snorkel so it's not noticeable. I can talk to other people on the trail, so I'm OK with the reduced range, I also have a 6db whip style laying around if it ever becomes a problem.

Jeep Gladiator Stubby GMRS antenna question. IMG_5951.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Stubby GMRS antenna question. IMG_5950.JPG

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Someone should tell Midland. They offer and even bundle these mounts into their offerings!
Midland is a radio company and I've had a few friends that worked for them years ago designing radios. They are not an antenna company and their marketing dept simply orders and rebrands other antennas. Their rebranded 6dB advertised antenna is actually around 2dBd gain. The little pud antenna they advertise as 3dB has lower gain than a 6" 1/4 wave whip that is rated unity or 0db gain. That is the marketing department doing their job I guess in making sales by whatever means they can, which happens to be lying.

I'm just using my experience to help others know or understand a few things in my very small area of knowledge. Its no different than someone posting about their new plastic tie rods or using motorcycle shocks on their truck and having a suspension person call it out here.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Midland is a radio company and I've had a few friends that worked for them years ago designing radios. They are not an antenna company and their marketing dept simply orders and rebrands other antennas. Their rebranded 6dB advertised antenna is actually around 2dBd gain. The little pud antenna they advertise as 3dB has lower gain than a 6" 1/4 wave whip that is rated unity or 0db gain. That is the marketing department doing their job I guess in making sales by whatever means they can, which happens to be lying.

I'm just using my experience to help others know or understand a few things in my very small area of knowledge. Its no different than someone posting about their new plastic tie rods or using motorcycle shocks on their truck and having a suspension person call it out here.
I was just looking at the Tram 6 1/4 i have, i noticed it said the antenna needs to be grounded.
Right now i have it mounted with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-MXTA...ble+fits+most+trunks/car+hoods,aps,115&sr=8-1

which is all painted and has a set screw that just presses into the painted hood, which i assume is a crappy ground connection.

Do i need to be doing something different to make sure the antenna is properly grounded?

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was just looking at the Tram 6 1/4 i have, i noticed it said the antenna needs to be grounded.
Right now i have it mounted with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-MXTA27-Universal-Connector-MicroMobile/dp/B0842BB2R9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=33LKZGSQ3GJGC&keywords=Midland+–+MXTA27+MicroMobile+Universal+Lip+Mount+with+NMO+Connector+and+6M+Cable+–+Fits+Most+Trunks/Car+Hoods&qid=1677608247&sprefix=midland+mxta27+micromobile+universal+lip+mount+with+nmo+connector+and+6m+cable+fits+most+trunks/car+hoods,aps,115&sr=8-1

which is all painted and has a set screw that just presses into the painted hood, which i assume is a crappy ground connection.

Do i need to be doing something different to make sure the antenna is properly grounded?
The set screws poking through paint on a trunk lid or hood is fine as long as they are making electrical contact. That allows the RF currents to flow from the antenna grounding point to the ground plane and back, etc.

I have two of those mounts on my hood. An antenna ground is not the same as a battery ground, if your hood was floating on rubber insulators the antenna would be happy with that mount, it doesn't have to ground back to the battery, that is a DC ground and has nothing to do with an antenna ground making connection to its ground plane.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
The set screws poking through paint on a trunk lid or hood is fine as long as they are making electrical contact. That allows the RF currents to flow from the antenna grounding point to the ground plane and back, etc.

I have two of those mounts on my hood. An antenna ground is not the same as a battery ground, if your hood was floating on rubber insulators the antenna would be happy with that mount, it doesn't have to ground back to the battery, that is a DC ground and has nothing to do with an antenna ground making connection to its ground plane.
Perfect, thanks for the clarification. I was getting ground mixed up with DC ground.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800

This is interesting information! Thanks for sharing, I had no idea what practices they were using for their stuff.

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I don't think anyone said it wouldn't work but antenna people will tell you it won't work very well compared to being mounted on a proper ground plane. When you raise an antenna like this off the ground plane you introduce loss and usually a big change in impedance. It will certainly talk down the road but not to the potential range it might if mounted on the hood or other large flat conductive ground plane. Not everyone needs maximum range so if it serves your purpose that's great and I'm happy for you, but it still bugs the heck out of us antenna people.

None of these brackets that hang an antenna out in space are made or sold by antenna companies, they are made by off road accy companies that have little knowledge of how an antenna works and what it needs to function properly. I would compare it to a company that makes chop sticks and they designed a rifle scope mount. Will it hold a scope on a rifle? Probably. Will it hold a zero? Probably not.
I was able to get the metal plate from Lowes and made the bolt hole a tad bit bigger. I do understand the range loss concept. I was on a ridge road and was able to receive from a town that was 60 miles away by way the crow flies (over ocean) but I could not transmit that far. The furthest I have been able to operate the radio, transmit and receive, has been 10 miles on trail. I didn't think that was to bad. As you said "it serves my purpose". I do have a plan for a bigger atenna and mount if I need to go that way.
Sponsored