First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Installing my 2” lift I wasn’t paying attention and I grabbed SAE hex bit for the shock relocation brackets and they’re metric. I went and got a set in MM but unfortunately the damage to the hex was done from trying to tighten and they are required to be torqued. Can I replace these bolts with the same size from a hardware store or is this something I have to get from AEV? I don’t know if they’re a special compound for extra strength? Anyone know?
Sponsored

Bulldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon 2018 JLU Rubicon wife’s ride
Occupation
Smitty/land lord
I would think a grade 8 bolt would do, 150,000 pounds per sq in tensile strength.
look at the top of the bolt the lines on it will tell you the grade.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The grade marking on the head will tell you what strength of replacement bolt you need. In metric, that could be 8.8, 10.9, or 12.9 with higher strength as the number increases. Compare to the stock bolts and be sure to use at least that strength, even if the aftermarket bolts were weaker.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Installing my 2” lift I wasn’t paying attention and I grabbed SAE hex bit for the shock relocation brackets and they’re metric. I went and got a set in MM but unfortunately the damage to the hex was done from trying to tighten and they are required to be torqued. Can I replace these bolts with the same size from a hardware store or is this something I have to get from AEV? I don’t know if they’re a special compound for extra strength? Anyone know?
I would go with factory equivalent. Remember this.... Thomas Edison did not fail a thousand times while inventing the electric light, he found a thousand ways NOT to invent the electric light.
Sponsored