Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Hello All!

I’m new to the Jeep Gladiator Forums, and I just purchased a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (in hydro blue), and I just wanted to see if another owner would be willing to test something for me.

Every time I accelerate to exactly 7MPH, after initially starting the truck, it makes a very subtle clunk noise. The thump seems to be felt from the driver’s footwell. This does not continue to occur after stops, after the auto-start/stop function runs, or any other time, other then after doing a full start of the truck. If I turn it off, restart it, and begin rolling forward, the subtle sound and clunk occurs at exactly 7MPH again.

Does anyone else observe this noise/clunk? If so, is this caused by some kind of normal startup procedure involving the powertrain? It’s obvious that it happens very deliberately, I just want to make sure that something isn’t functioning outside of spec on a truck with 300 miles on the clock.

I appreciate any feedback and/or observations you might be able to share! Thanks!
Sponsored

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
Tailgate lock

Sponsored

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Happen to have a trailer hitch installed? I actually had a clunk that would happen around 11mph, and it took me a couple of days to figure it out.

(Mine was my hitch locking pin, holding my hitch cover in place.. it'd rotate and do a 'clunk'. After figuring it out, I just rotated it, so it would sit angled downward.. no more clunk for me :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For us it's one of the neighbors finally letting loose of the truck & hitting the pavement.

They always want a ride when they see us leaving in our Gladiator
You win - no one can top that one. Give this guy the trophy way. No way anyone can top that.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Tailgate lock
That locks with the other locks - so he'd notice the doors locking.
Besides, the speed is all wrong for the door locks. It's well over 7 mph. I thought it was 15-20 so I looked it up - I was close - it's 15 -

Automatic Door Locks — If Equipped
The Automatic Door Lock feature default condition is
enabled. When enabled, the door locks will lock automatically when the vehicle's speed exceeds 15 mph

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Hello All!

I’m new to the Jeep Gladiator Forums, and I just purchased a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (in hydro blue), and I just wanted to see if another owner would be willing to test something for me.

Every time I accelerate to exactly 7MPH, after initially starting the truck, it makes a very subtle clunk noise. The thump seems to be felt from the driver’s footwell. This does not continue to occur after stops, after the auto-start/stop function runs, or any other time, other then after doing a full start of the truck. If I turn it off, restart it, and begin rolling forward, the subtle sound and clunk occurs at exactly 7MPH again.

Does anyone else observe this noise/clunk? If so, is this caused by some kind of normal startup procedure involving the powertrain? It’s obvious that it happens very deliberately, I just want to make sure that something isn’t functioning outside of spec on a truck with 300 miles on the clock.

I appreciate any feedback and/or observations you might be able to share! Thanks!
mine does the same thing and my ford fiesta did it too. I think it might be something to do with the cruise control "ready-ing" itself maybe? Totally guessing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Now I'm going to have to stop when I get onto the road at the end of the driveway and take off again from 0 and try to listen.
Is this a RUBICON only thing, or do others hear the same thing?
It's absolutely not locks - those don't engage until 15 mph and you can tell because it's not really a clunk and it comes from the DOOR right next to you.

Sponsored

ryandoubleu

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Project Engineer
I’ve got the same thing and it has done it since I picked it up in April. It could possibly be the torque converter engaging.

Last edited:

ryandoubleu

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Project Engineer
Now I'm going to have to stop when I get onto the road at the end of the driveway and take off again from 0 and try to listen.
Is this a RUBICON only thing, or do others hear the same thing?
It's absolutely not locks - those don't engage until 15 mph and you can tell because it's not really a clunk and it comes from the DOOR right next to you.
Mine only happens after the initial pull off from startup. It doesn’t happen after coming to a stop

OP
OP
Branpute

Branpute

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback already! It definitely isn’t a lock system. I actually disabled the auto locks in the infotainment system. It definitely sounds related to the powertrain when it hits that very specific speed only after initial start, not just from a normal stop. I’d be curious if this is trim-specific to Rubicon models.

If you’re a Gladiator owner, I’d love to hear if this subtle clunk noise occurs for you every time you push the engine start button, put into drive and roll up to 5-7MPH. You should be able to feel it in the pedals if you’re paying attention, if you have the same thing I have.