SumoSprings to stabilize loaded bed offroad?

Simple Man

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon / 3.5 Metal Cloak Lift
Occupation
T&D Operations Supervisor
BDS springs for a ram 1500 w/ a 3” lift in the rear for me. No need for air bags and they ride great empty and loaded down. I’ve never been further down than level with them.
I know this would be speculation, but I am running the Metalcloak 3" lift .... would the Ram 1500 BDS springs work for the rear of my rig?

Summitdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I know this would be speculation, but I am running the Metalcloak 3" lift .... would the Ram 1500 BDS springs work for the rear of my rig?
I would guess so, but my lift started as a 3” JKS, and I don’t know the differences between that and metal cloak’s 3”. I’d expect it would though. I will say it wheels so well in comparison to rigs with standard 3” rear springs, specifically regarding departure angle and steep climbs. And it’s not stiff, bouncy, or harsh in any way. It’s very smooth and controlled. It’s hard to say it’s the best mod I’ve done after everything, but I’d absolutely call it a game changer. You do need to be ok with the rake. I happen to really like the rake on trucks. If your goal is level, you won’t like these.

Simple Man

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon / 3.5 Metal Cloak Lift
Occupation
T&D Operations Supervisor
I would guess so, but my lift started as a 3” JKS, and I don’t know the differences between that and metal cloak’s 3”. I’d expect it would though. I will say it wheels so well in comparison to rigs with standard 3” rear springs, specifically regarding departure angle and steep climbs. And it’s not stiff, bouncy, or harsh in any way. It’s very smooth and controlled. It’s hard to say it’s the best mod I’ve done after everything, but I’d absolutely call it a game changer. You do need to be ok with the rake. I happen to really like the rake on trucks. If your goal is level, you won’t like these.
Thanks man !! I installed a decked storage system and when I go over speed bumps I can feel the rear hit the bump stops. Not going fast, but fast enough to get that usual bounce (maybe 10mph)

I might just go bags since I plan to tow a small camper and install a cab high bed rack.

Summitdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man !! I installed a decked storage system and when I go over speed bumps I can feel the rear hit the bump stops. Not going fast, but fast enough to get that usual bounce (maybe 10mph)

I might just go bags since I plan to tow a small camper and install a cab high bed rack.
For what it’s worth, with these springs, you wouldn’t need bags at any point. Towing, rack, it won’t matter.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have them in my truck AND my travel trailer. Sumos are legitimately a game changer IMO. More than anything they all but got rid of the “porpoise-ing” while towing and hitting a bump.

I have the bags as well and used to use them religiously while towing. My last couple trips I haven’t and the truck actually towed BETTER with just the sumos and a good WDH.

the bags will be handy if im running near max payload…so i wont say they’re useleas. But not nearly as necessary as I first thought.

2020 JTmt

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I installed the front Sumos last night. A little more challenging than I expected using my lift and jack stands. With the Sumos being longer than the stock bump stops it was difficult to get the springs back on over them after they were installed just because of the angle. This is probably not an issue with those with a lift, but I had my jack stands maxed out and my axle as low as it would go. I found inserting the Sumos into the springs while installing the springs solved the problem. It was just a little more work to get the Sumos installed, but not that bad once I figured it out. Now that they're installed I just need to test them out. I'm headed to Hidden Falls Adventure Park tomorrow to see the difference. Still no rears though, I just got the notice today they are on back order and expected in 2 weeks.

MDV Hank

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I just installed the Sumo Black for the rear. I'm running a Alu-cab canopy with a hard shell RTT, camping gear, tools so my JT is loaded. I simply put a hydraulic jack under the hitch and raised the rear just enough to very easily remove the OEM bumps and place the the pre-lubed( dawn dish soap) Sumo springs in place and lower the rear of the JT. They popped right in place. it took longer to get the jack out and raise the rear. I did a test drive and you can tell the difference, there is zero bottoming out over speed bumps at 10 MPH and seems like less roll when cornering.

MOJAVEC22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave 1991 Toyota Hilux
Occupation
Electrician
I 100% recommend the Timbrens. In my experience, the natural rubber doesn't fatigue as much as SumoSprings so if you're on a longer trail and using the bumps at all the hits are reliably smooth.

Just be aware you need to buy their spacers on top of the standard kit if you're lifted at all so the price is actually even more. Still worth it IMO and they're what I'm sticking with until I finally swap in some air bumps.
Which Timbrens do you have? The SES or the off-road bumps? I need them for the rear sag when towing my lil camper trailer. Pretty sure I need the SES.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
I’ve seen a fair number of JT’s with bent frames right behind the rear shock mounts, and also seen a bunch of folks add in steel to reinforce the frame at that crumple point.

my 2 cents is if you are loaded heavy enough to be on the front or rear bump stops, you are pushing it too far….

MOJAVEC22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave 1991 Toyota Hilux
Occupation
Electrician
I have the off-road bumps but yeah if you're going to use them for load control I'd get the SES.
Thanks I think so also. I’ll probably pull them off and put the stocks or buy the Timbren off-road bumps for when I’m not towing this thing.

F9238C0C-0A08-412A-ACA7-304F351C0B55.jpeg

E5EB3F88-B580-4919-873A-3778EE0D7755.jpeg