Sponsored

Sunrider installation advice

wrknk9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Hi all, My first post here.... I just got my Gladiator a week ago and I'm completely smitten. I've ordered an A.R.E. cap for the bed and am planning on getting a Mopar Sunrider for the top. My question is whether I should have the dealer install it or just do it myself. I had a Bestop Sunrider for my Wrangler, which we installed ourselves, but it always leaked. I definitely don't want leaks in my new ride! I'm not concerned about the money, but the guy at my dealership said the mechanic on duty put one in his own Wrangler and it leaks! So... is the mechanic who installed it just bad at his job? Or is it a fitment issue on Wranglers? I saw the earlier thread on here about Sunriders and no one mentioned leak issues... What's the collective brain say?
Sponsored

grant1

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
Best top will do the install. I put theirs on my a couple of years ago and take it off for the winter. No leaks. The Har cover wad put on by the dealer and leaks bad. They say they can't do anything about it

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
My wife got one of the very first JL Sunriders for hardtopā€”they ā€˜gaveā€™ it to her to test and review. Itā€™s been installed and removed seasonally since late 2018. No issues at all, none. The only reason I donā€™t have one for my JT is because I sold my JLU last summer when I bought the JTR, but I kept the JLU softtop for her JLU thinking she would switch to that and I could have the Sunrider. No luck. She has me swap the hardtop for the and Sunrider out for the softtop and never wants the freedom panels in. šŸ§

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Just pay attention to the assembly.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I had a Bestop Sunrider for my Wrangler, which we installed ourselves, but it always leaked.
Anyone else have issues with leaking? I was going to order a Bestop Sunrider, but this gives me a little pause.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Only slight leakage I've had is in a touch less car wash if one of the jet streams hits it just right from the side. Otherwise no issues whatsoever in rain.

mert34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
did the install myself on mine, and i can go through car washes without a leak.

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
did the install myself on mine, and i can go through car washes without a leak.
I concur. I installed it myself. I have mine on from March till October. Itā€™s seen many car washes and several rain storms without a single leak.

The key is to make sure you follow the instructions carefully that very first time. After that, installation and removal takes less than 5 mins. The Sunrider is my favorite modification to date. I love it!

learjet

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon LE
agrred with above, self installed, on and off each winter in 10 mins, never leaked.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Anyone else have issues with leaking? I was going to order a Bestop Sunrider, but this gives me a little pause.
I bought mine second hand, so it's not nly been on and off, but on and off of two different JTs. No leaks, and Ive had it out in driving rain a few times.

Sponsored

BtrLtThnNvr

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2008 JKU
Iā€™ve installed two. Take your time, make sure that silly little z bracket is seated well, donā€™t fold the fabric at the back, and Iā€™ve never seen a leak. These are fantastic.

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
No leaks on ours at all. Went Twill and installed it ourselves.

CoachA

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
I concur. I installed it myself. I have mine on from March till October. Itā€™s seen many car washes and several rain storms without a single leak.

The key is to make sure you follow the instructions carefully that very first time. After that, installation and removal takes less than 5 mins. The Sunrider is my favorite modification to date. I love it!
I think I agree. Never having had a convertible, this thing rocks!

MATADOR1

First Name
JOHN M HILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Best top will do the install. I put theirs on my a couple of years ago and take it off for the winter. No leaks. The Har cover wad put on by the dealer and leaks bad. They say they can't do anything about it
I would definitely recommend this option. I installed one on my JK a few years ago and it was a pain in the backside. Nothing seemed to line up just right. I finally got it working with modifications three hours later.

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Put ours back on yesterday. 10 - 15 minutes tops including zipping up freedom panels in storage bag.
Sponsored