First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director
Several quality issues with recent Sunrider purchase. Clearance holes were winked (things have to be pretty far off for a clearance hole to wink) and rough edges due to parting line flash right where hand touches. Tried to communicate with Bestop but got no response, so you get to hear it now :-(
Jeep Gladiator Sunrider quality issues F02AB156-D0A2-4F44-9E60-E86B9CD2B956
Jeep Gladiator Sunrider quality issues 1F74E65E-3795-48E5-ABD5-693BEF83545E
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It’s tough to tell, but it looks like those holes were damaged by forcing bolts in while misaligned. What’s the second picture showing? The hand hold looks identical to mine.

OP
OP
DPG4EVR

DPG4EVR

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director
i had to skive out the clearance holes with a knife to get the bolts to align. This pic is the result. The second pic is showing, if you put your hand in the pull cup, there was a rough edge right where fingers touch. I sanded it smooth but should not be necessary do do so.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
i had to skive out the clearance holes with a knife to get the bolts to align. This pic is the result. The second pic is showing, if you put your hand in the pull cup, there was a rough edge right where fingers touch. I sanded it smooth but should not be necessa do do so.
When I initially installed mine (I remove and reinstall each fall and spring) I had to leave every single bolt loose in order to align them perfectly. Had they been even a little tight, they wouldn’t have. Have you tried loosening everything to realign? It doesn’t look like the reaming damage would show after install. That plastic mold seam is in my hand hood as well. It doesn’t bother me. In fact, it adds some grip if I’m closing it at 20mph.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Do you have a pic of before you went at it with the knife? Hard to see what you're talking about or how bad it was only with the after photo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DPG4EVR

DPG4EVR

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director
Jeep Gladiator Sunrider quality issues 60EF9E1B-B782-484A-8DF8-997D778CFD14
Jeep Gladiator Sunrider quality issues F2C157BB-BFB7-4DEF-87E0-28EBC98768DA

I tried to take some. Here’s a couple but its hard to get the perspective. The holes were winked.

OP
OP
DPG4EVR

DPG4EVR

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director
When I initially installed mine (I remove and reinstall each fall and spring) I had to leave every single bolt loose in order to align them perfectly. Had they been even a little tight, they wouldn’t have. Have you tried loosening everything to realign? It doesn’t look like the reaming damage would show after install. That plastic mold seam is in my hand hood as well. It doesn’t bother me. In fact, it adds some grip if I’m closing it at 20mph.
I get what you’re saying! They were misaligned before install.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I get what you’re saying! They were misaligned before install.
The index points that drop into holes in the top of the roll bar, and the hinged arm at the front, create the proper alignment. But it only works if everything is loose prior. The bolts just slide through the much larger holes in the roll bar, from the bottom up. Looking at mine, I’m not sure how they could be misaligned. The mold with the embedded nuts on top is pretty specific.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I'll be honest, it doesn't really look that bad to me. When you consider that the bolts not only hold it in place, but pull it into place, I would think that what is being discussed with needing to align it loose and then tighten is right on the money.

I've seen lots of things work this way when you need a tight fit. If everything was perfectly aligned loose, you wouldn't get a nice tight fit at the end. You just have to be patient and deliberate with your install.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those holes are misaligned. But wow you really hacked that up.

Did you think about using a small diameter round file to open up the hole?

Its about using the correct tool for the job. And whatever you used wasn't the correct tool.

If done with a small diameter round file I suspect a few strokes would have gotten enough clearance. I figure there is some flex to the plastic, so you wouldn't have to clearance it perfectly.

Put the tip of the bolt in the hole, flex the plastic sideways and start the bolt. Once you've caught 2 or 3 threads go to the next bolt.

Its not too late to clean that mess up. I'd suggest you buy an inexpensive round file. (it only needs to cut plastic, so the cheapest Chinese crap will work fine) and smooth out those edges.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DPG4EVR

DPG4EVR

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director
I'll be honest, it doesn't really look that bad to me. When you consider that the bolts not only hold it in place, but pull it into place, I would think that what is being discussed with needing to align it loose and then tighten is right on the money.

I've seen lots of things work this way when you need a tight fit. If everything was perfectly aligned loose, you wouldn't get a nice tight fit at the end. You just have to be patient and deliberate with your install.
Thanks for the feedback. In order to align things loose, you have to be able to do a loose install. In this case, could not even install bolts because of winking. After skiving out the hole, everything went together ok. Issues are: for something to be that far off, what durability problems are down the road?; and, for that money, should not have to deal with it.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Its about using the correct tool for the job. And whatever you used wasn't the correct tool.

If done with a small diameter round file I suspect a few strokes would have gotten enough clearance. I figure there is some flex to the plastic, so you wouldn't have to clearance it perfectly.

Put the tip of the bolt in the hole, flex the plastic sideways and start the bolt. Once you've caught 2 or 3 threads go to the next bolt.

Its not too late to clean that mess up. I'd suggest you buy an inexpensive round file. (it only needs to cut plastic, so the cheapest Chinese crap will work fine) and smooth out those edges.
If trying to help him, suggesting that the plastic be flexed is not a great idea. This particular plastic is really quite stiff and inflexible.

GOT FLOYD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2021 Mojave gladiator
I had alignment issues when I tried installing the 2 channels first, then the top. Mounted the channels to the top first and everything fell into place. Hand tightened before I wrenched. Love the top

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback. In order to align things loose, you have to be able to do a loose install. In this case, could not even install bolts because of winking. After skiving out the hole, everything went together ok. Issues are: for something to be that far off, what durability problems are down the road?; and, for that money, should not have to deal with it.
Probably no durability issues. The sandwich method of attaching to the roll bar allows a decent amount of play. As long as you didn’t loosen the embedded nuts on top, you’re golden.

OP
OP
DPG4EVR

DPG4EVR

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director

Ya, I used a knife, it was what I had on hand. its not visible once everything installed.
Sponsored