Sunrider Soft Top Noise Question

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I currently have the basic soft top on my gladiator. I am looking to trade for or buy a hard top. I found a hard top that comes with the sun rider but am curious how loud it is compared to a full basic soft top.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jobofly

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
Basically is there a noticeable difference between a basic soft top and a hard top with a sun rider?

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
In my experience , it seems to be a bit louder at highway speeds with the Sunrider than the Freedom Top panels in place. But the Sunrider is well worth it, and is easily swapped out for the panels. I install my Sunrider in spring, and leave it until it gets too cool for me to enjoy it opened.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Having had soft tops on other Jeeps, I think the hardtop with the sun rider top would be quieter. I agree with Charles236 that it is a bit noisier than having the freedom panels on, but it's nothing that affects how much I enjoy the sun rider top.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I haven't ridden in a full soft-top, but it would make sense that a Sunrider and hard top combo would be quieter than a full soft-top, as there are less soft spots to buffet in the wind.

With the Sunrider, we still can listen to music at a reasonable volume, or have normal conversations with people in the backseat.

Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Can't compare to a full soft top since i don't have one but most of the ambient noise i hear is coming from the sunrider. I can almost be certain that it'll be a quieter setup than a full soft top. How much quieter? Don't know.

Rzrhawg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
I have an early version of the cheaper option (black diamond). Sunrider is loud at highway speeds, especially if you have a head or crosswind. Not sure I’d ever take the Jeep on a long distance trip with the Sunrider on.

That being said, it’s a fun option 9 months out of the year in the south.

Last edited:

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I have a JL with the hard top and Sunrider.
My JT is the soft top.

They are pretty close in wind noise, with the sunrider actually having a bit more wind noise.
I honestly believe the hump that the gladiator soft top has helps for less wind noise.
I suspect there is a very good reason why the current jeeps dont have flat roof soft tops.

The hardtop over the back you get a little less noise from things like loud trucks or motorcycles behind you.
You get about the same from loud vehicles ahead for or beside you.

Last edited:

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I have the hard top with the BestTop SunRunner in from mid-April until mid-October.

I really don't notice any difference in noise levels between the two. I've had mine for around three years now. I ordered my Overland in 5/19 and got it delivered 7/19. I purchased the SunRunner in early '20.

Love the ease of being able to open it whilst driving around then, easily closing it when I arrive at my destination...whether it be the store, or a friends house, restaurant, anywhere, without having to fight the hard panels into place. Plus if it rains whilst out and about, just pull over, close the top quickly and continue on my way, nice and dry.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Accountant
Just installed the Bestop Sunrider Twill on my 2021 Jeep Gladiator. So far, so good. Plan to take it for a drive tomorrow [supposed to be in the 50's] and through a carwash to see how it holds up. Planning to keep it on over winter to see how it will do.

OP
OP
Jobofly

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
Just installed the Bestop Sunrider Twill on my 2021 Jeep Gladiator. So far, so good. Plan to take it for a drive tomorrow [supposed to be in the 50's] and through a carwash to see how it holds up. Planning to keep it on over winter to see how it will do.
Awesome, keep me posted
Sponsored