Sunrider vs Full Soft Top

Which top would you choose?

• Total voters

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
The rebate for the Sunrider ends tomorrow and I'm torn between getting that or springing for a full soft top.
Sponsored

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
The sunrider is just so easy, I love mine can't wait until weather gets nice to put it back on!

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I didn't vote in the poll because I don't have any experience with the soft top. I will say that I love the Sunrider so far. It's just so easy to put up and down. The only issue I have is that there needs to be a retractable sunshade available for it (especially for where you live!)

robburns76

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S with Max tow
Both!!! sunrider for the shoulder/winter months and full soft top for summer :)

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
If you only have the hardtop, the sunrider is nice. I have both hard and soft tops and so far have not had any reason to use the hard top.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I went both tops because I found a brand new in box soft top last winter for not much more than the twill Sunrider. With having 2 kids, I love being bale to open the roof over both seats unlike the Sunrider.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I just put my Mopar premium soft top on my Rubicon JT for the first time. I had it stored for 7K miles since new. Installation was a breeze, I just followed the Quadratec video. I put all the parts in the sun, and they were hot during installation. Fit was fantastic, nice and tight, perfect fit. It is very high quality. If you do not have the card board template, spacing is 1/8 inch on each side for the cab mount. I took it on the fwy at 80 mph, soft top up, and soft top down. No noise, no buffeting. When closed, on the fwy, I was surprised how quiet it was. I really like it a lot, and I am super happy I got it. The hardtop will not go back on until winter again. It is hard to compare it to the sunrider because they are so totally different. For example, it is a breeze to take the back pillars and back window out, then, put the top up or down, which changes the truck completely. I also bought the storage bag for the back window which seems needed if you want to throw it into the bed. Here are some pics.
Note: Hardtop is rolled around on the Quadratec hardtop cart until I figure out where to put it.

z3RlXA.jpg

bxdk9A.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Sunrider vs Full Soft Top AAF6A2

Last edited:

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
You need to drive around with the Freedom panels off and then take the whole top off and drive around. There is a huge difference between them. The Freedom panels with the Windows down and back window open does not a convertible make but it is still very nice. Top down or off driving is a very different experience.

I would love to have a Sunrider because it would make the targa like experience instant. You have to stop and remove the panels plus store them. Not a big deal but not as easy as flipping the Sunrider back at a stoplight.

I don't consider it a big deal but putting the top down is difficult for my wife. It also takes a significant amount of time to put it down. I have a Miata and the top on that flips up and down fast and easy like the sunrider. Hence it gets used all the time. The soft top on the Gladiator more more of a commitment. You are not going to put it down for a 10 minute trip to the store even if it is nice out.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You need to drive around with the Freedom panels off and then take the whole top off and drive around. There is a huge difference between them. The Freedom panels with the Windows down and back window open does not a convertible make but it is still very nice. Top down or off driving is a very different experience.

I would love to have a Sunrider because it would make the targa like experience instant. You have to stop and remove the panels plus store them. Not a big deal but not as easy as flipping the Sunrider back at a stoplight.

I don't consider it a big deal but putting the top down is difficult for my wife. It also takes a significant amount of time to put it down. I have a Miata and the top on that flips up and down fast and easy like the sunrider. Hence it gets used all the time. The soft top on the Gladiator more more of a commitment. You are not going to put it down for a 10 minute trip to the store even if it is nice out.
For my 10 minute trips, I just flip the soft top back. It takes about 20 seconds and other than the back window being out is pretty much the same. Even taking the back window and panels out only adds a couple minutes. Now if you want to take the whole top off, that's a different animal.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
For my 10 minute trips, I just flip the soft top back. It takes about 20 seconds and other than the back window being out is pretty much the same. Even taking the back window and panels out only adds a couple minutes. Now if you want to take the whole top off, that's a different animal.
Taking the back window and panels off is fast. I bought the mopar rear window bag and put it in my bed. The experience and wind flow change dramatically with the back window and panels off. Lots of fun !

Jeep Gladiator Sunrider vs Full Soft Top {filename}

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Taking the back window and panels off is fast. I bought the mopar rear window bag and put it in my bed. The experience and wind flow change dramatically with the back window and panels off. Lots of fun !

Jeep Gladiator Sunrider vs Full Soft Top {filename}
Yeah they are super easy, I finally remember to put my bag in the truck so I can do that.
Sponsored