Lush

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2020 Expedition Max
Vehicle Showcase
So my wife bought me some Alien sunshades off of my gladiator shopping list for our anniversary, and I was really looking forward to them yesterday coming home from work, this thing is still new to me and I hadn't gotten to enjoy it to myself yet (I mostly work from home) so I took my freedom tops off even though the sun was super bright with no clouds and I got me a nice sunburn out of it.

But, as I started to install it my wife sat with me and said "this looks a bit complicated to be able to remove and put back on" and I agreed with her, so I returned it. Too many separate bungie balls and other pieces to be able to just throw it on and take it right back off after a drive.

All I want out of a sunshade is to be easy to install quickly when I want to take the freedom tops off, and just as easy to remove. Preferably with no extra hardware, everything just attached to the shade itself. Additionally, it needs to be able to be installed with the rear top installed. Bonus would be if there is a rear shade in the kit, since I do want to have rear coverage when I do decide to take the entire top off as well.

Any recommendations? So far, the mastertop shademaker and dirtydog seem promising but I can't tell if any of them can relatively easily be installed without removing the full top.

Thanks!
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
They're designed to stay on even with the hardtop on. That way when you remove the panels or the top, you're already good to go. You wouldn't need to remove it after you're done with your ride. Is there a reason that won't work for you?

Also, I know of none that you can install without taking the top off. There simply isn't enough room to do it with the hardtop on.

OP
OP
Lush

Lush

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They're designed to stay on even with the hardtop on. That way when you remove the panels or the top, you're already good to go. You wouldn't need to remove it after you're done with your ride. Is there a reason that won't work for you?

Also, I know of none that you can install without taking the top off. There simply isn't enough room to do it with the hardtop on.
That's the thing, I really want to be able to easily and quickly install or remove the shade from the front whenever I feel like it, with only the freedom tops removed. Most of these sunshades cut down on headroom so I don't want to leave them installed all the time. Plus, I do prefer the experience of not having a shade, there are just some days where it is painful to drive around without SOMETHING there, and I would hate to just be stuck with the tops on for those occasions.

I already ruled out the popular and highly recommended JTops and spiderwebshade on those grounds, as both companies are both extremely expensive and only offer either full coverage, or front coverage only.

I would be ok having to remove the rear part of the top for a rear sunshade section, but would really prefer to find one where the front can be installed with only removing the freedom tops. If such a thing does not exist, then so be it, I suppose.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
I’m also curious. Just need a cheap Velcro attached one for low speeds until I figure some other stuff out. Was planning on the dirtydog.

OP
OP
Lush

Lush

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m also curious. Just need a cheap Velcro attached one for low speeds until I figure some other stuff out. Was planning on the dirtydog.
The dirtydog is for sure my top contender as well, some good discounts on it right now, but I hope someone who actually owns it can chime in on if they are able to install it with the rear hard top in place.

Worst case scenario I might just have to make my own, somehow

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lush

Lush

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a good reason for a sunrider.
I would totally go for this if it weren't so pricey. Perhaps later this year, but this summer/fall I want to get my tires, wheels and lift done for sure.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Willys
Vehicle Showcase
JTops… they’re awesome!!

OP
OP
Lush

Lush

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JTops… they’re awesome!!
Had to rule it out unfortunately, as I want both the front and rear to be able to be covered, or just the front alone. Sadly hey only offer either front or full coverage, which doesn't fit my goals.

Plus, its far more than I would want to spend on this anyway.

Grady

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
JTops… they’re awesome!!
Talked to Jtops today because they dont have the full length tops available for the Gladiator. They said that Jeep changed the roll cage so they need to modify their tops to fit now. She said they hope to have something available this fall.
Sponsored