Sponsored

Supercharger- Can anyone guess what brand I Won’t be buying!?

502gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
In the immediate market for a Supercharger…Came to this section of the forum for better knowledge/experiences on the different manufacturers and their product offerings.. I have come to one conclusion….There is One brand that I Will Not buy now.. and it has nothing to do with HP or product performance!
Sponsored

OP
OP
502gladiator

502gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
no Hamburgers in my diet. Even with it being a great product. I’ll just let them tell me why my Edelbrock or Magnuson is not as good as theirs! Sounds like the most fun/best way to not have any buyers remorse🤣

Sponsored

OP
OP
502gladiator

502gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
go to “Magnuson supercharger installed on the Mojave”. Whew.. Hamburgers rep I guess has strong opinions. Lol

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I must be missing something or posts removed... dont see anything unless I skipped

OP
OP
502gladiator

502gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
It’s there in the thread.. you’ll see. That’s Its just interesting for someone to see when I was seriously considering their product and hadn’t decided which manufacturer to run with

Sponsored

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Professional Dork
I'm a confessing newb to all things forced induction. I'm probably pulling the trigger on a supercharger in the next 2 months. I have no stake in any of the products yet, and I find the opinions of many here to be supremely valuable. That said, i'm a bit willing to consider the Hamburgers SC simply because they are actually willing to engage on the forum. As a sponsor, they're putting the effort to support the forum. Now, I'm still up in the air as to which product I'll choose. I'm leaning one way because of the wisdom of certain members here. But, the engagement of PK as a rep for Hamburgers is actually a positive in my book.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a confessing newb to all things forced induction. I'm probably pulling the trigger on a supercharger in the next 2 months. I have no stake in any of the products yet, and I find the opinions of many here to be supremely valuable. That said, i'm a bit willing to consider the Hamburgers SC simply because they are actually willing to engage on the forum. As a sponsor, they're putting the effort to support the forum. Now, I'm still up in the air as to which product I'll choose. I'm leaning one way because of the wisdom of certain members here. But, the engagement of PK as a rep for Hamburgers is actually a positive in my book.
Just be aware that none of these things are actually turn key. You will have drivability issues at some point. you will have to fiddle with it. and you will most likely end up with a custom tune to get it to drive optimally. Which will mean you won't have the warranty from Magnusson or Edelbrock on your powertrain.

I posted recently in this forum looking to hear from anyone who had done one and was running the OEM tune and had experienced a turn key installation.

And NOBODY replied. I bumped it a few times and got nothing.

DaveCS seems to know more about tuning these things than either Magnusson or Edelbrock. And it appears that even he can't prevent drivability issues creeping in when the dealer reflashes the truck without being asked and the new flash doesn't work with the tune installed. Or something like that.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...wist-for-the-2021-jeeps-sorry-everyone.55605/

My jeep is first and foremost transportation for me and my family. I can't tolerate down time.

You may have a different situation. I just want to make sure you fully understand since you said you were a "newb".

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Professional Dork
Thanks for the well considered response, dcmdon. I've lurked for over 6 months here, researching as much as I can for my use case in forced induction. Mine is quite similar to others: daily driver with very occasional recreational towing of a heavy thing at elevation. To wit, smiles per gallon for the fam and I.

This forum represents an interesting collection of knowledge. Without trying to press too much into what others feel on the matter, I value that a vendor would participate in an open forum like this ( for better or worse). Since there is no true turnkey solution, I want multiple channels available to get an issue resolved. Ultimately it is the quality of the supercharger's integration with the rest of the engine system that is the deciding factor. But, a highly available support system post- install will make a world of difference.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Yes you have to reprogram the computer for a supercharger. Now why you would let you dealer touch the Computer afterwards is you own stupid fault. Magnusson comes with a clip on can bus port warning not to reflash. Find a decent tuner and all will be fine. Any shop that tunes mopars with hptuners will be able to do this.

Both magunsson and edelbrock use Eaton TVS internals that will give you OEM reliable for the rotors and gear sets.

The hamburgers have dug their own hole. I would touch their stuff with a ten foot pole.

Id use magnusson. I had one of the very first kits on my gen 1 SRT8 Jeep. I had minor growing pains with the tune, but it was great after I got that straighten out.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Just to be clear, my post about 2021 trucks and the operating system is not about the dealer touching the truck.

Jeep has done two very strange things to the 3.6L Gladiators that will be a gift that keeps on giving for years to come.

1. There are a number of jeeps running around with undocumented GPEC5 ECMs 18,19,20, AND 21 Jeeps use a GPEC2A ECM. There is no support for the GPEC5.

2. Just like your phone uses android versions or you PC uses windows versions. The engine controller in your Jeep has an Operating System. Usually it is no big deal to make an update inside of a Windows version for security or useability, bit jeep did not make an OS update. Using my example, they went from using Windows 8 to like using Windows 11. The menus to select and change stuff have been moved or redefined. And to make things more interesting not all 21 Jeeps have this OS update, and some have hybrid versions of this update.

I am slowly rectifying number 2 with HP tuners, but I am seeing a proliferation of operating Systems in 2021. I had a customer send in his tune this weekend and HP Tuners only had a handful of tables ot could access, not enough to set it up for supercharging.

I am looking at alternate solutions, like using older operating systems, but that needs development that I currently dont have the funds to do. Basically it will be like wiping a PC and putting a fresh OS on it. That is fine and all, bit who wants to offer up their Jeep for that test?

I would need to have backup unlocked ECMs with the working OS on it, and on top of that there are a bunch of things that will need logged to make sure all the features are working correctly with the engine hardware. If variable lift is not working you could wipe a cam. The cooled EGR does not come on you will overheat the intake, etc.

Anyway I digress. At the wnd of the day there is no simple clean way for a supercharger manufacturer to offer a bullet proof tune on the Jeep Gladiator unless they also offer their OWN ECM, that does a self check on the harness pin out.
Sponsored