Sponsored

Suspension advice to deal with squatting while towing a 4300 pound trailer?

B29681

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator.... 2015 wrangler
Occupation
Stevedore
Hi everyone I'm new here
I am looking for advice or suggestions regarding my gladiator squatting while towing a 4300 pound trailer.
Ok my gladiator is rated to tow 6000 lbs.
It has a 2 1/2 inch lift and 35 inch tires I use an equalizer hitch set up for my truck, I was wondering how to minimize or eliminate the squat , although it's not really bad , I'm kind of anal about it riding at the proper height

20200627_131750.jpg
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Hi everyone I'm new here
I am looking for advice or suggestions regarding my gladiator squatting while towing a 4300 pound trailer.
Ok my gladiator is rated to tow 6000 lbs.
It has a 2 1/2 inch lift and 35 inch tires I use an equalizer hitch set up for my truck, I was wondering how to minimize or eliminate the squat , although it's not really bad , I'm kind of anal about it riding at the proper height

Jeep Gladiator Suspension advice to deal with squatting while towing a 4300 pound trailer? 20200627_131750
So first those are some really interesting looking tow mirrors.

Secondly what trim do you have? I know the springs are softer on non-max tow models.

I am actually looking to get air bags for my JT, just got a new trailer. 6000lbs on a rubicon and I am not liking the squat with the WDH even.

OP
OP

B29681

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stevedore
So first those are some really interesting looking tow mirrors.

Secondly what trim do you have? I know the springs are softer on non-max tow models.

I am actually looking to get air bags for my JT, just got a new trailer. 6000lbs on a rubicon and I am not liking the squat with the WDH even.
The mirrors are something I made up the day before my camping trip, they aren't pretty but didn't vibrate at 90kph (I bought clip ons but they came loose almost immediately)
I probably do have springs that are too soft . I have the 850 watt trans cooler and 240 amp alternator
Two different off road companies told me nobody makes an airbag compatible with my 2 1/2 inch lift , the local mopar dealer is looking into a purpose built airbag spacer...

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What’s the tongue weight on the trailer?

Sponsored

70deuce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20Gladiator/01TJ/96ZJ/83CJ7/42 MB/43 GPW/70M35A2
Occupation
Retired Navy Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Those springs must be on the soft side if it squats that much with a 460 lb tongue weight.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Those springs must be on the soft side if it squats that much with a 460 lb tongue weight.
Agreed. That’s not too much. The WDH hitch should be more than sufficient for that.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
OP
OP

B29681

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stevedore
Okay, read through this thread, https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-rear-bag-system-info-you-need-to-know.28205/

Concentrate on where they talk about a kit for a Ram (taller air bag) and then about using the Gladiator spacer. Pages 2 and 3. I imagine if you called the company and told them you needed Air Bag X and Spacer Y and tell them your set up they'd probably do a kit for you.
I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to reply to my problem .... and I'm going to investigate the options I didn't realize I had ... thank you all .... when I get it solved I will post pics

Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Take measurements of the FRONT for the WDH setup. Here are the instructions for my hitch:

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/FW_e2_Trunnion-Owners-Manual.pdf

Look at page 15 and see where yours is. With a 600 lbs tongue weight and the trunnions connected, I get back to the unhitched front fender height. In the back, I lose 1.5 in. This is a stock Rubi.

OP
OP

B29681

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stevedore
Take measurements of the FRONT for the WDH setup. Here are the instructions for my hitch:

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/FW_e2_Trunnion-Owners-Manual.pdf

Look at page 15 and see where yours is. With a 600 lbs tongue weight and the trunnions connected, I get back to the unhitched front fender height. In the back, I lose 1.5 in. This is a stock Rubi.
The place where I bought the trailer set up the eq hitch....... now I'm second guessing their install .... I will read these instructions thoroughly and if their install was incorrect I will give it my own try .....thank you

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The place where I bought the trailer set up the eq hitch....... now I'm second guessing their install .... I will read these instructions thoroughly and if their install was incorrect I will give it my own try .....thank you
I paid $120 for the dealer to install my e2 because I didn’t want to do it myself in their parking lot. It was clunking around worse than I’d expect. I found the shank bolts where loose. Spec on those is 250 ft lbs. They were less than 100. If you don’t have one, get the 1/2 in drive Tekton torque wrench that goes to 250 ft lbs. Amazon has it. I bought that and a Tekton socket wrench set for my lift install on a different Jeep. Nice tools.

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
Squat her down a little more and you'll look like all the high school kids around here with the front ends of their Chevy Silverados lifted.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Squat her down a little more and you'll look like all the high school kids around here with the front ends of their Chevy Silverados lifted.
Being from the carolinas I have had the pain of seeing what you are talking about. I am in love with the factory rake because i have seen the carolina squat.
Sponsored