Swap stock max tow shocks with rubicons

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
hey guys, i habe the sport s max tow package. will i lose any towing capacity if i swap out to the rubicon fox shocks?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
hey guys, i habe the sport s max tow package. will i lose any towing capacity if i swap out to the rubicon fox shocks?
NO. The towing capacity won't move a bit. But you may like the Rubicon Fox shocks - I put them on my Overland and it's much better as far as less bounce, a bit more firm ride but I love it.
Go for it!
DO keep your rear max tow springs, don't change those - that's what helps support the weight whether in the box or towing, but shocks, feel free to swap away.

OP
OP
Jobofly

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
NO. The towing capacity won't move a bit. But you may like the Rubicon Fox shocks - I put them on my Overland and it's much better as far as less bounce, a bit more firm ride but I love it.
Go for it!
DO keep your rear max tow springs, don't change those - that's what helps support the weight whether in the box or towing, but shocks, feel free to swap away.
Awesome thanks man

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Yep ... I'm running the Fox Shocks and front Rubi springs on my Max Tow. I'm very happy with the ride.
Do you have any pictures? How much did the Rubicon front springs raise the front?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pictures? How much did the Rubicon front springs raise the front?
Raised mine 7/8" as measured at the front receiver.
I didn't measure at the fenders like I should have.
Mine is an Overland, however.
Also keep in mind when we say "Rubicon front springs" that could mean any one of at least 3 or 4 different numbers as not all Rubicons used the same springs. So if some are lighter it won't make as much difference as the heaviest Rubicon springs - and it will vary with what they are put on, too - some JTs even in the same "trim level" are a bit heavier than others, depending on options.
If the springs I had would have come from a heavier Rubicon my results may have been different, and had the springs I used under mine been used under a Sport - the results could vary as well.

Reactions: Mac

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Yeah, when I put Rubicon springs on one of my JKs I think they were “61s” maybe, as I recall the higher the number the taller the springs. Has anyone cracked the code for the JT Rubicon springs?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno about a "code" but the last three numbers are in sequence, higher number, stiffer spring on the right side.

Rubicon I've seen 449, 450 and 451 rear coils.
One pair was 449 and 450 another was 450 and 451
Rubicon set I bought had 449 and 450 rears
Rubicon front spring pair I bought were 339 and 340
I put max tow rear springs under my Overland to prevent the thing from dropping so bad with a load.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Yep ... I'm running the Fox Shocks and front Rubi springs on my Max Tow. I'm very happy with the ride.
Do you get much bump steer with the rubi stuff up front? I haven’t driven my Max Tow yet, but my JKU sport was horrific when i’d go over a too big of an expansion joint on a higher speed road. I’m picking up Rubicon take offs today so I’ll have the option to swap when my truck is finally in my driveway.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do you get much bump steer with the rubi stuff up front? I haven’t driven my Max Tow yet, but my JKU sport was horrific when i’d go over a too big of an expansion joint on a higher speed road. I’m picking up Rubicon take offs today so I’ll have the option to swap when my truck is finally in my driveway.
Swapping shocks and springs won't impact steering. It's only better shocks, and the springs are only a bit stiffer holding the vehicle up slightly higher - very slight compared to a lift of 2".
There's no way shocks and slightly stiffer springs will cause steering issues.
It would neither cause, nor fix, bump steer or any steering related issues.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Swapping shocks and springs won't impact steering. It's only better shocks, and the springs are only a bit stiffer holding the vehicle up slightly higher - very slight compared to a lift of 2".
There's no way shocks and slightly stiffer springs will cause steering issues.
It would neither cause, nor fix, bump steer or any steering related issues.
I guarantee swapping shocks and springs affected it, as mentioned in my previous post. Going from stock shocks to aftermarket (Metalcloak) dramatically removed what was once a "prepare for the crack" moment on my morning commute to a non-event. Additionally, stiffer springs will prevent the roll as you swerve.

Springs keep you higher and will potentially stretch longer when flexing.
Shocks help slow down how quickly you drop or bounce back when something pushes on the tire.

The springs might not do as much with steering but the whole point of the Teraflex adjustable shocks is to help mitigate how your truck reacts to things you're driving into.

Luckily I'm still within commuting distance so I'll just have to take new truck on my standard commute route to see how it behaves and if it needs modification.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guarantee swapping shocks and springs affected it, as mentioned in my previous post. Going from stock shocks to aftermarket (Metalcloak) dramatically removed what was once a "prepare for the crack" moment on my morning commute to a non-event. Additionally, stiffer springs will prevent the roll as you swerve.

Springs keep you higher and will potentially stretch longer when flexing.
Shocks help slow down how quickly you drop or bounce back when something pushes on the tire.

The springs might not do as much with steering but the whole point of the Teraflex adjustable shocks is to help mitigate how your truck reacts to things you're driving into.

Luckily I'm still within commuting distance so I'll just have to take new truck on my standard commute route to see how it behaves and if it needs modification.
I've done steering and suspension for years as a trained tech (working in shops) - springs won't impact steering on normal roads at normal speeds - you are talking of extreme maneuvers. Shocks do dampen the spring movement and control the rise and drop of the vehicle, but won't impact normal steering. If you are doing auto-cross maneuvers, speeding through corners, etc. - yeah. I know exactly what they do and how they operate - I've still got my college texts.
BAD shocks, those worn out impact handling. They don't keep the wheels on the road. But for normal drives on paved roads - not like you are stating.
You must do some rad driving to have that sort of impact just swapping stock shocks to after-market.
I guarantee you having driven all types of vehicles and having worked on hundreds more - you are exaggerating the impact any normal person would feel under normal driving conditions at normal speeds.
We have some of the roughest paved highways in the state near us and all that could be noticed was a better ride, less bounce.
Bump steer being impacted by only shocks? Nope. Not unless you are driving crazy fast and have other mods. No stock vehicle will notice a difference like that. And bump steer isn't caused by shocks or lack of good shocks. Wheel and tire changes and lifts - yes.
Sway bars impact the "roll" far more than anything else. I have an Overland - it has the softest springs of any JT save for the Sport. ZERO troubles around really stupid tight poorly engineered Iowa "clover-leaf" ramps - what we call figure 8 race tracks here. Sway bars prevent one side from dipping or the other side from rising in a tight curve, impacting under-steer and over-steer. Too stiff or too weak a sway bar will impact those more than anything.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
It'll do no good trying to argue with you about this, I don't have years of studying and testing suspension for shops nor do I have any pedigree as a "gear head."

I can ONLY speak from my experience with a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S. When driving down a highway at 60 MPH in a straight line, upon running over an expansion or uneven section of highway I would feel the a jerking reaction, what I call "bump steer" in this case, noticeable and alarming. I attribute 3 things; shocks, springs and solid front axle (which was never disconnected... stock trackbar in this case.)

Upgrading my stock to progressive Metalcloak coils for a 2.5" lift coupled with Rubicon take off shocks with extensions was a marked improvement on these same sections. This included an upgrade to their adjustable trackbar as well as new upper control arms.

A year later, upgrading from the Rubicon shocks to the larger Metalcloak Rocksport I again noticed an improvement in vehicle reaction to those previously mentioned highway points... unexpectedly for me.

I've driven this section of road 100s of time under each of the 3 scenarios.

I'm bringing this up, again not to argue with you, but to state my seat in the pants experience for the original author and just to have it down here. I've searched multiple times to try and get a comprehensive expectation from Sport S Max Tow drive quality vs the same but with Rubicon shocks vs Rubicon Shock/Springs up front.

Once my new truck arrives I'll do a fresh new post with the same comparison but on the new vehicle.

Lms

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
Occupation
Steelworker
Go for it!
Can you buy them on with
Sponsored