Sponsored

Swapping/Painting Tow Hooks? DON'T DROP YOUR REAR BUMPER! (write up)

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I wanted to swap my red JTR rear bumper tow hooks for blacks ones. I know some have done the inverse and others have added a second hook on their sports. There are only 2 bolts attaching the hooks to the frame but everything I have read states you need to drop the bumper to get to them. For the Rubicon this requires quite a few bolts, plugs, and plastic clips. Instead, DO THIS!

1. Use a 21 MMM ratcheting wrench to access and remove the bolt closest to the rear bumper. This can be done from under the truck.

2. Put the tailgate in the 45 degree position using the tether and hooks. The front bolt is now easily accessed from the top side! Just grab a 21 MM socket with extension and remove from the top. I wrapped the extension with a rag so prevent the extension from making contact with the paint.

2B. Remove the tailgate for extra room. Remove the two tether bolts, stopper bolt, camera plug ins, and slide the tailgate out.

Here's a pic from above that shows the access to the bolt with the tailgate tilted at 45 degrees

EDITED for clarity and a better pic (plus kevman65 pointed out the obvious use of the tether which somehow I forgot about)

Jeep Gladiator Swapping/Painting Tow Hooks? DON'T DROP YOUR REAR BUMPER! (write up) 20221202_135116
Sponsored

Last edited:

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Good info, I want to pull my one ('22 Willys) and paint it, and add a second one on the other side, for two of them in the rear. I have two stock front ones in black for sale if anyone interested
The bolts are 21mm? Mine dont seem that big, maybe 3/4, will have to back and check

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You can put the tailgate tethers over the tether hooks and it holds the gate at a 45 degree angle.....

For people that don't have buddies....

OP
OP
RodRecket

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
You can put the tailgate tethers over the tether hooks and it holds the gate at a 45 degree angle.....

For people that don't have buddies....
That too. I just took the tailgate off for the extra room
Sponsored