Sponsored

Wondering not Swaying issue with brand new Rubicon diesel?

OLAF 4X4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Party Chief
I received my Gladiator from the dealership last week which I had ordered. It is completely stock right now. On my way home I notice it sways a lot. It is work to keep this in my lane at times. I talked to the company that will be installing my tires and wheels. He said it could be the M/T tires. They are the stock M/T Falcon tires. I had test drove the Mojave and the Rubicon before I ordered mine and don't remember this sway problem but they both did have A/T tires on them. Does anyone have any advice or does anyone have the same problem?
Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
First step is to check air pressure in the tires. Dealers are notorious for delivering vehicles with over inflated tires.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
What do folks recommend for the LT255/75R17C tires that come on a stock Willys? Little to no offroading.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Check the door jam for the recommended tire pressure.

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
I have the stock falken a/t and I keep them about 35-36 hot. Every time the dealer rotates my tires I get it back at like 42-44 hot..... it’s like driving on balloons and steering a boat. Check your pressure, compare to door jamb, find your sweet spot

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The Falken MTs are pretty good. If you still have handing problems after checking the pressure, you can take a look at your sway-bar disconnect. WITH NO CARS AROUND, and at LOW SPEED, put it in 4wd and poke the disconnect button. Try some swerving back and forth- it should be noticeably MORE wobbly. If not, have the dealer check that. If it is (then that's working OK) and I would have the dealer check the alignment.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
"Head sway", "butt wiggle" are normal with solid axle trucks. The softer the suspension, the more "head sway" when you hit the same big bump at an angle. It does not happen when you hit the bump at the same time with the tires. Typically, "head sway" is minimized with stronger springs and shocks. It is a trade off -- there is a fine line we all search for to balance the "butt wiggle" and suspension stiffness...
My JTR stock suspension was very soft. It had "head sway". I went with stiffer springs and adjustable shocks on my lift kit so I could minimize it.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
You should try driving a Mojave with over inflated MTs from the dealer. I picked up mine a few weeks ago with tires at 40 psi. She felt more like a boat than a car. Its OK though, the '64 Dart I learned to drive on had inches of play in the wheel and I roll with it.

What everybody else said. Welcome to the community.

The Gladiator is not for all, but those its for, its really for...

Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Mine came with 42 pounds at delivery. Aired it down to 33 and it feels pretty good now.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I received my Gladiator from the dealership last week which I had ordered. It is completely stock right now. On my way home I notice it sways a lot. It is work to keep this in my lane at times. I talked to the company that will be installing my tires and wheels. He said it could be the M/T tires. They are the stock M/T Falcon tires. I had test drove the Mojave and the Rubicon before I ordered mine and don't remember this sway problem but they both did have A/T tires on them. Does anyone have any advice or does anyone have the same problem?
Was Freebird on the radio, and was your Gladiator holding a lighter?

Note: I am available for diagnosing any other mechanical problems you might be having.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There are so many posts on the JL forum. Had the steering gear replaced on my JLU. It stopped the wandering. Made it safer to drive...stays in lane now And sidewinds aren't the horrible problem they were.
the fix was to put in a steering gear like the one in your Gladiator.

Before the swap I wondered if Jeep was ever going to fix it. But your Glad should have the best steering gear that Jeep has.

My selling dealer didn't do a real test drive (I'm Canadian) That was required. Said it was fine. So I contacted @JeepCares here and they referred me to the Canadian Customer Care.

I really hope that you solve this but likely will involve dealer service. Someone said check tire pressure. Good advice. And from there there's a lot you can do--but on the JLU there have now been two Technical Service Bulletins to get this fixed.

Dave

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
There is a TSB on this issue. Go to the dealer and say your Jeep is "wandering". They have a parts replacement and update for this. Several forum threads on it.

Other solutions include using one of the three Fox steering stabilizers.

I'm trying to get feedback from anyone that has done both. It may be that the TSB update (free, in warranty) solves the problem such that the Fox stabilizers are unnecessary.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
lower tire pressure and get a better steering stabilizer (preferably adjustable)...
Sponsored