Sponsored

Wondering not Swaying issue with brand new Rubicon diesel?

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
lower tire pressure and get a better steering stabilizer (preferably adjustable)...
It shouldn't be necessary to add parts to a Jeep to fix a design or assembly fault. There are good reasons for updating and upgrading making a Jeep more capable. But adding parts? Oh my.

It took 1-1/2 years to get the steering almost fixed on our Wrangler. That's from first day, and first time I heard "It's a Jeep Thing."
Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I'll take "Over-inflated Tires" for $500, Alex.

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Had the same issue. Solution, FOX ATS 2.0 Stabilizer, expensive fix. Also, have you noticed bottoming out the front on the smallest of potholes?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
First thing to check has been mentioned repeatedly, tire pressure.

Do a Google search for "tire chalk test" and watch a couple of videos.
There is no cure all pressure for everyone, each ride/set of tires is different.

Once you find the sweet spot for your tires, either the ride will improve dramatically or you have another issue. But it's always best to mark the easy stuff off first.

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
It shouldn't be necessary to add parts to a Jeep to fix a design or assembly fault. There are good reasons for updating and upgrading making a Jeep more capable. But adding parts? Oh my.

It took 1-1/2 years to get the steering almost fixed on our Wrangler. That's from first day, and first time I heard "It's a Jeep Thing."
C
First thing to check has been mentioned repeatedly, tire pressure.

Do a Google search for "tire chalk test" and watch a couple of videos.
There is no cure all pressure for everyone, each ride/set of tires is different.

Once you find the sweet spot for your tires, either the ride will improve dramatically or you have another issue. But it's always best to mark the easy stuff off first.
My issue was from the “loose” steering wheel. Once I put on the FOX steering stabilizer and set the dial to 14 it was like a new car, problem solved. Have the same setup as his Rubi.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
My issue was from the “loose” steering wheel. Once I put on the FOX steering stabilizer and set the dial to 14 it was like a new car, problem solved. Have the same setup as his Rubi.
On my Rubi I had all the symptoms of loose steering, then I checked tire pressure and was at 46-48 psi on the tires.
I did the chalk test and on OEM 33's I went down to 36 psi and fixed it. On my 35's I had to go to 32 psi.

Since then, the problems I get are tar snakes or road seams love to "guide" my 35's.

Deleted member 28696

I received my Gladiator from the dealership last week which I had ordered. It is completely stock right now. On my way home I notice it sways a lot. It is work to keep this in my lane at times. I talked to the company that will be installing my tires and wheels. He said it could be the M/T tires. They are the stock M/T Falcon tires. I had test drove the Mojave and the Rubicon before I ordered mine and don't remember this sway problem but they both did have A/T tires on them. Does anyone have any advice or does anyone have the same problem?
It's part of the Jeep Adventure,
When I drove mine home a passing a Semi Truck about blew me off the road & just normal wind really affected it quite a bit. I also see another issue when changing lanes at highway speed that it will kind of take off on you all of a sudden & it would be easy to over correct if your not careful. I think that may be due to the more aggressive tires gripping the pavement all of a sudden. I will say that the steering is kind of squirrely. I've kind of gotten used to it now. I think some refer to it as lose steering. Some fix it by installing a Yeti steer smarts Traction bar which tightens that up & makes it more controllable supposedly. I'm having one installed soon with my Lift so we will see. Hopefully it's nothing more.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The "it's a Jeep thing" is BS like I've said before. And worse - the "it's a solid axle thing" is just as bad.
There's no reason for these to steer poorly.
First - make sure we have the correct description -
SWAY and WANDER are two different things. Sway is what a sway bar takes care of. It's the leaning of the body, like a ship on rough seas in a way.
Wander is having trouble keeping it between the lines. Like a drunken sailor (no offense to our Navy folks here)
If you have to keep correcting steering, it want to go left and you compensate then it wants to go right and you compensate - that's wander.

It's not a solid axle thing as the truck is on even roads, highways, and the steering has the same angles and settings as most cars - camber, caster, toe-in, SAI, scrub radius and so on. So why should one wander and the other not as far as a Jeep compared to any other truck? It should not. On rough roads, that's different because the SUSPENSION comes into play but driving down the road there is no reason for a solid axle vehicle to do different than a Ford or Chevy with IFS.
Think of it - Grand Cherokees for years had solid axles and they handled like a dream. I sold my WJ today - 128,000 miles - and the guy was super impressed with the handling and ride and drive - and he's got trucks and other SUVs that have independent front suspension. The WJ is solid axle - and a Jeep to boot.

So if it SWAYS - is the sway bar disconnected? ;-)
IF it wanders, yeah, check tire PRESSURE. Every time any dealer touches these things they seem to put in at least 5 extra PSI for some weird reason, no matter what the door sticker says. Goofy.

OP
OP
OLAF 4X4

OLAF 4X4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Party Chief
The "it's a Jeep thing" is BS like I've said before. And worse - the "it's a solid axle thing" is just as bad.
There's no reason for these to steer poorly.
First - make sure we have the correct description -
SWAY and WANDER are two different things. Sway is what a sway bar takes care of. It's the leaning of the body, like a ship on rough seas in a way.
Wander is having trouble keeping it between the lines. Like a drunken sailor (no offense to our Navy folks here)
If you have to keep correcting steering, it want to go left and you compensate then it wants to go right and you compensate - that's wander.

It's not a solid axle thing as the truck is on even roads, highways, and the steering has the same angles and settings as most cars - camber, caster, toe-in, SAI, scrub radius and so on. So why should one wander and the other not as far as a Jeep compared to any other truck? It should not. On rough roads, that's different because the SUSPENSION comes into play but driving down the road there is no reason for a solid axle vehicle to do different than a Ford or Chevy with IFS.
Think of it - Grand Cherokees for years had solid axles and they handled like a dream. I sold my WJ today - 128,000 miles - and the guy was super impressed with the handling and ride and drive - and he's got trucks and other SUVs that have independent front suspension. The WJ is solid axle - and a Jeep to boot.

So if it SWAYS - is the sway bar disconnected? ;-)
IF it wanders, yeah, check tire PRESSURE. Every time any dealer touches these things they seem to put in at least 5 extra PSI for some weird reason, no matter what the door sticker says. Goofy.
Fixed it to wondering.. thanks! Sorry!

Was not Tire pressure that was the first thing I checked.

Had the 2" Mopar lift installed and 37" Nexen's and it drives like a dream! Now it goes down the road with 1 finger.

OP
OP
OLAF 4X4

OLAF 4X4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Party Chief
It's part of the Jeep Adventure,
When I drove mine home a passing a Semi Truck about blew me off the road & just normal wind really affected it quite a bit. I also see another issue when changing lanes at highway speed that it will kind of take off on you all of a sudden & it would be easy to over correct if your not careful. I think that may be due to the more aggressive tires gripping the pavement all of a sudden. I will say that the steering is kind of squirrely. I've kind of gotten used to it now. I think some refer to it as lose steering. Some fix it by installing a Yeti steer smarts Traction bar which tightens that up & makes it more controllable supposedly. I'm having one installed soon with my Lift so we will see. Hopefully it's nothing more.
That was exactly what I had going on.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
C

It's easy to adjust the steering gear, as long as there is good access. Access is my issue; lot older now.

Day we picked up the Jeep told them it needed it. They said" it's normal...It's a Jeep thing"

Adjusting the steering gear would have proven if it was defective, or poorly installed.
Sponsored