Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
So I am still waiting for my new JTR, but I have been looking at winches, and I have only used wire rope in the past. what are the pro's and con's of either aside from synthetic being lighter. also, what kind of maintenance goes into a synthetic rope? Thanks.
Sponsored

kahuna357

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Subarua CrossTrek, 02TJ, 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Mostly retired
I have used both, had failure with both, so my preference is synthetic. The video provided by chrisblaze is excellent. I will also add 2 more pluses for synthetic. First, if you need or want to respool the winch it is much easy to do. Second is failure under load. When wire rope snaps, it becomes a whip and can cause serious damage to anything it strikes. Synthetic rope just falls to the ground.

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have used both, had failure with both, so my preference is synthetic. The video provided by chrisblaze is excellent. I will also add 2 more pluses for synthetic. First, if you need or want to respool the winch it is much easy to do. Second is failure under load. When wire rope snaps, it becomes a whip and can cause serious damage to anything it strikes. Synthetic rope just falls to the ground.
thanks, considering how synthetic fails (when it does) deff. seems like the safer route. I have seen some nasty cable failures in different applications. thanks again.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Synthetic had come down so far in price that it is almost a no brainer. It is light for paying out, it floats so if you use soft shackles you stand far less chance of losing things in mud or water.

Wire rope still had a place in dirty conditions or where you have debris and rocks etc but that use case is mitigated with protection sleeves etc.

Synthetics are also field repairable and if you are feeling super froggy you can shorten up a line to just what you need for maximum single line pull while also being able to slice in bridles etc. If you can, go synthetic.

Sponsored

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
There is an Austrailan group who did a damage test on lines snapping. It was amazing the damage a steel line does to vehicles and anyone who might be in the vicinity. I swapped synthetic on my 12k winch and I keep a cover on it so the sun hopefully doesn't damage the line.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Ronny Dahl did the video

Some of the test cycle is unrealistic but it does represent the forces involved and potential for carnage very well.

Synthetic generally only needs a clean water wash but a trip in the washer in a delicates bag and no soap wouldn't be a bad idea after a big outing. UV can beat it up, a cover is cheap insurance if you arent using it enough to chew it up before the sun cooks it. A typical retirement point is 25-30% of visible fibre damage, it scuffs and frizzles through use and ultimatly has a life span.

kahuna357

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Subarua CrossTrek, 02TJ, 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Mostly retired
Interesting, the synthetic rope that snapped when I witness it was sold as AMSTEEL BLUE I beleive it was 5/16 diameter size. I went about 10 feet from break point in either direction and fell in the dirt. Nothing like in this video.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Ronny Dahl's video is demonstrating what happens when steel wire rope, typically 3/8", fails. Synthetic line, due to low elastic stress deformation AKA dynamic stretch, doesn't tend to recoil or whip in the same way steel does. It will still jump around bit but overall tends to fray and fail in a progressive manner where as steel suffers a very sudden waterfall failure, a strand then two then 5 then 10 then all of them... BANG!

As a side note, you should always try to use a damper on the line with synthetic, good habit and all. This way you don't overlook it with steel.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Ronny Dahl's video is demonstrating what happens when steel wire rope, typically 3/8", fails. Synthetic line, due to low elastic stress deformation AKA dynamic stretch, doesn't tend to recoil or whip in the same way steel does. It will still jump around bit but overall tends to fray and fail in a progressive manner where as steel suffers a very sudden waterfall failure, a strand then two then 5 then 10 then all of them... BANG!

As a side note, you should always try to use a damper on the line with synthetic, good habit and all. This way you don't overlook it with steel.
I always use to use floor mats so it would drop the line low.
Sponsored