Sponsored

Synthetic winch rope recommendations?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
My wife got me a warn zeon 12 for my birthday with the steel rope since the 12s seems to currently be a unicorn and honestly the 12 she got was 700 cheaper than the 12s so no real reason to hold out. With that said I want to move to synthetic rope so I'm looking for recommendations. I know warn has the spydura stuff but it sure seems steep for 500 bucks so I'm wondering if there are other quality brands I could go with for a better value. Also does anyone know if I would want a 1 or 1.5 inch hawse style fair lead?
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
If you try to find a different brand vs the warn it will have to hook the same.
I haven’t personally pulled out a wire rope zeon but I have the synthetic and it was a “keyed” style and only warn makes that drum and line that way.

I suggest looking into the install directions and check.

most wire winches use a bolt to lock down but, if your zeon is different you will only be able to go with the warm synthetic.

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
If you try to find a different brand vs the warn it will have to hook the same.
I haven’t personally pulled out a wire rope zeon but I have the synthetic and it was a “keyed” style and only warn makes that drum and line that way.

I suggest looking into the install directions and check.

most wire winches use a bolt to lock down but, if your zeon is different you will only be able to go with the warm synthetic.
Didn't even think about that. I found this tactical recovery equipment that asks if it's going on a zeon so I may just go with them since they're still a higher rating than the warn spydura

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Didn't even think about that. I found this tactical recovery equipment that asks if it's going on a zeon so I may just go with them since they're still a higher rating than the warn spydura
Good find! Glad to hear there’s options.

I found a video showing the synthetic and wire rope install on the drum for you.
Good luck sir!

Warn zeon line install here

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
TRE is legit and makes excellent stuff... have their thimble and it's a great piece of kit.

Sponsored

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Good find! Glad to hear there’s options.

I found a video showing the synthetic and wire rope install on the drum for you.
Good luck sir!

Warn zeon line install here
Pretty cool how Warn secures their line. Much safer if you've fed most of the line out. I'd like to upgrade to the Warn at some point.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Holy crap!! Pretty sure my Smittybilt would die well before that. :CWL:
on any winch that had a bolt to drum system, you need to keep a few wraps on it… most say in the instructions from 4 to 10 wraps… I’ve gone all the way to the bolt once …I broke the line out of the connector with a simple tug… I was mad at myself that I had to fix it. Lol

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
on any winch that had a bolt to drum system, you need to keep a few wraps on it… most say in the instructions from 4 to 10 wraps… I’ve gone all the way to the bolt once …I broke the line out of the connector with a simple tug… I was mad at myself that I had to fix it. Lol
I mean I wouldn't personally not keep a few wraps on the zeon but the better key system and the fact that it can operate submerged were the 2 big reasons I went with it over the vr