Sponsored

T-Case???

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Did I read somewhere that the JL and possible the JT would have an option for a full time/all wheel drive, in addition to the 2H, 4H, N, and 4L? I thought I read that a month or so ago but haven’t seen anything lately. While I think it would be a really useful feature it would be unprecedented for Jeep.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
JL gets Selec-Trac, JT likely won’t due to the slightly lower torque handling of most current SlecTrac versions.

It’s not really unprecedented for Jeep, just for the CJ-JK, it was offered on a Willys-like Jeepster, and of course is on many previous Cherokees, GCs, and all e current non-Wranglers.

We still don’t know exactly what this Selec-Trac is,and it definitely it doesn’t sound like the NV-242 due to the varyng torque distribution method described by FCA in the user guide / owners manual, so it might be a more robust system than an NV241OR, but I doubt it, so I think it won’t arrive in the JT, or if it does there may be some de-tuning limiting done to accomodate it.

So JL is definite, JT is unlikely, but things can always defy expectations.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I think the varying torque thing was created by a technical writer working on the manuals...

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the varying torque thing was created by a technical writer working on the manuals...
Hopefully. I like love the NV242 (essentialy NV241 with FT), and hope that a refreshed & strengthened version of that is what we get. It can’t be a straight NV242 drop in due to axle/spline issues, but a variation like they did for the Hummer would address that, so a nice new NV242OR sounds perfect,

I hope it was just an inelegant technical writer, but my fear is that it’s a Slec-Trac II style solution rather than true Selec-Trac, though I’m not going to worry about it as there is always the NV241/241OR to fall back on.

OP
OP
homerun

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Thanks Ape, knew I could count on you for the intel. You are completely right about the precedent set by jeep, I guess I was only thinking wranglers when I made my comment.

What you said makes sense although I am still hopeful for the JT to get an full time 4x4 option as the most difficult driving situations for me is getting to a trailhead when the roads have been salted/plowed and are 90% in good shape until out of knowwhere there is a section that causes the rear wheels to fish tail. So then you are like maybe I should be in 4x4 but then the axles start to get wound up and I worry about breaking things. I would rather have there be a foot or more of snow on the roads then that inbetween I so often find myself in.

Based on what I know so far here is my set up. JT, 3.6 Pentastar, manual, 4.10 axels. Still undecided on tops and wondering what options will be offered on the JT.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, that’s exactly my need for Selec-Trac too.

I usually drive about 100-200 miles to get to the Ski Hill or the BackCountry / Trailhead; and while the Ministry folks usually do a good job cleaning the TransCanada and other big highways, sometimes first tracks / ascent means being on the highway before the plows and salt-trucks wake-up / hit the roads. Also, while I’m not worried about binding at that speed, it’s the slower approach stuff that’s of course where the NV242 Selec-Trac shines, especially if I need to drive up an access road and/or parking lot that may cause the NV241 some binding in tight turns / switchbacks, but where you still need the 4x4 to get & keep moving.

I think the JT tops are still a fluid thing, I don’t think we’ve even seen a true JT body mule yet (they all look like repurposed JKU bodies right now to me), so I think tops are gonna be a big test feature next Spring/Summer.

OP
OP
homerun

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgive me for not being up on all of the t-case options. In addition to the XJ listed on my profile, I drove a YJ in high school and college, but I haven’t kept up with everything the TJ/JK features so I know this is dumb question but does the JK t-case have a mechanical linkage still or are they moving everything to electronic? It looked like a mechanical linkage system on the JL Rubicon pic. Has there ever been full time 4x4 or all wheel drive with mechanical linkage?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Yes, it's still mechanical, and yes, selectrac is mechanical with full time mode. It's been in the XJ & KJ for years.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These may help, pretty detailed including some of the drawbacks;

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1201-jp-guide-to-jeep-transfer-cases/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...ems-and-cures-for-popular-4x4-transfer-cases/

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np242/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...grand-cherokee-zj-np242-hd-sye-transfer-case/

This goes into a bit of detail about the HD version on the Hummer and the recent Tom Woods upgrade kit;

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...2-hd-np242-transfer-case-build-super-duty-np/

The Problem is that there are 2 prior, Very Different, types of Selec-Trac (the good mechanical original NV242 and the weaker and electronic SelecTrac II), and we still don’t know what this one in the JL will be, it could be something completely new and totally unrelated to the previous ones, so SelecTrac III essentially.

I personally hope for a strengthened NV242 (beyond the Tom Woods upgrd), that would be perfect for me, and likely for you too.

OP
OP
homerun

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Ape, very interesting reading. I never had the NV242 in either my old YJ (see updated profile pic) or my current XJ. It defiantly sounds like the t-case I want, to bad you think it won’t be available on the JT.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, it’s possible, don’t lose hope based on my assumptions.
One thing’s for sure, we’ll have a much better idea once we see exactly what it is on the Sahara JLU, especially if we get some torque specs on it at some point.

VA6489

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500, 56 F100 4x4,
Any news on the Rubicon T-case ( Rock track?) for the JLU or JT?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Confirm RockTrac for the JL/JLU, still not known for the JT.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
JL gets Selec-Trac, JT likely won’t due to the slightly lower torque handling of most current SlecTrac versions.

It’s not really unprecedented for Jeep, just for the CJ-JK, it was offered on a Willys-like Jeepster, and of course is on many previous Cherokees, GCs, and all e current non-Wranglers.

We still don’t know exactly what this Selec-Trac is,and it definitely it doesn’t sound like the NV-242 due to the varyng torque distribution method described by FCA in the user guide / owners manual, so it might be a more robust system than an NV241OR, but I doubt it, so I think it won’t arrive in the JT, or if it does there may be some de-tuning limiting done to accomodate it.

So JL is definite, JT is unlikely, but things can always defy expectations.

CJ-7s (and all Jeep models of the time) were available with full time four wheel drive (Quadratrac) in the 70s. :)
Sponsored