Sponsored

Talk me into a Diamondback HD

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Objective of the Jeep build is to maximize options while making intelligent (overthought) choices on budget and space management. So here's where I'm at:

My ski truck configuration will be a diamondback with a ski rack config on top, similar to @Tim 's config. I can swap in a basket and/or cargo pod for taking the stuff to/from college. Stuff in the bed stays dry and enables a 4 person ski trip/3 person college dropoff trip. In those configurations, I don't need the 1600 weight capability of the HD. I have a trailer hitch mounted bike rack, so it works for bike configuration too.

My overlanding configuration is currently aimed at the eventual maximus-3 wayout rack with some kind of bed cover to keep things dry. Maximus-3 keeps saying they're working on it :). I've got time to wait for it to develop. I'd have to dismount the diamondback, but not the end of the world since that's 5 minutes to remove and 10 minutes to store the way I want it done. When I run out of patience, the Zroadz is my second choice. I don't like toppers - not my scene.

So the only configuration I can think of where I'd need the HD would be hauling the 800lb atv. I see problems with that. At $500 for the ramps, I can get a trailer which would be easier to use and multipurpose for lawn equipment. If the ATV is broken, I can push it onto a trailer, but not onto the diamondback.

What I'd really like is a single system that would let me use the diamondback HD, leverage the thule rack model, and then be able to swap that out for an overland rack on top of the diamondback. THEN it would make sense. However, I can't seem to find a way to make that configuration work without two sets of holes in the diamondback. I'm willing to drill one set for mounting the tracks, but not two.

Anything else I'm missing?
Sponsored