Sponsored

Talk me into Bearwallow...is it even worth it???

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
So, I've been researching Bearwallow as I often do any where I plan to wheel. Mainly just to get an idea of what to expect considering my rig isn't fully equipped as it could be (slow process). I'm from KY and I've hit all the badge locations within a 4-hour radius of me (Redbird SRA in IN, Turkey Bay KY, and Windrock TN). I do what I can and what my rig is capable of and have had a lot of fun.

Bearwallow is like 4.5 hours from me. So the drive is reasonable. But after researching reviews and videos, I honestly don't know if it's even worth it. To be honest I'd probably only be going to check off another semi-local badge. I mean I have heard that it's very scenic which I can imagine considering I've been through WV a few times. I've also heard that it's one of the most well-maintained trail systems there is. But that even brings me to my next point...the cost.

Now I'm not cheap by any means, but I think $50 per person is a bit ridiculous. Well-maintained or not. For that price I'd hope it would be maintained. Hell, they should include a tour guide for that. lol. In all seriousness, Windrock Park which is the largest off-road park in the nation and extremely scenic, isn't that price for a full Jeep let alone per person. And that's considering the additional cost to download Windrock's interactive trail map (which is very helpful might I add). Still doesn't equal the cost of one person at Bearwallow. Just seems kind of ridiculous especially when even after a bunch of research I haven't seen anything significant scream at me as a must-see/must do there. I've even seen comments online about how it's scenic but how it's one of those places you aren't dying to make a trip back to.

Second thing which has had me hesitant, is the "helmet rule". I get safety. I'm in public safety for a living. But again, just seems a bit ridiculous to be in an enclosed Jeep with a helmet. Could understand on ATVs. Once again, I'll reference Windrock. From what I've seen in person and through research, "overall" you're way more likely to flip at Windrock than Bearwallow. Yet no helmet rule there. I'm not saying that Bearwallow doesn't have sketchy stuff. I do understand they have some double black rated difficulty trails etc (none of which I would be on anyways). But to my understanding those aren't the majority of the trail system. And almost every video online I've seen looks like a simple scenic drive through the forest. Yet they make it seem like you're wheeling out in Colorado/Utah somewhere. Seen quite a few people actually flip at Redbird SRA which is probably the muddiest/difficult place I've ever been. Yet no helmets.

So overall, my point in this is not to "bash" Bearwallow. I've never been. I'm just throwing out why I've personally put it off this long and would maybe like some insight from those who frequent there or locals on if it would be even worth it for me to go. If I do, it'll just be a day trip. I wouldn't stay over-night.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Soldier
I will be curious as to what others say that have been there. I am about the same distance and have the same thoughts. I think if I ever have a reason to be close to there I will go, but to go out of my way for that badge is not worth the overall cost to me.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Seems like most off road parks you have to pay. Rausch Creek ($65+) and AOAA ($35+).

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like most off road parks you have to pay. Rausch Creek ($65+) and AOAA ($35+).
I'm good on that. I think you maybe missed my point. I expect to pay. I've paid everywhere I've been thus far. Just not that much per person. If I brought 2 others thats $150. All for what appears to be a forest ride. As I said Windrock admission and the cost to download their interactive map nearly equals the cost of one person at Bearwallow and it's a way better and bigger park. Just seems a bit ridiculous especially considering the helmet rule as well.

Besides, I haven't researched to verify but I'd be willing to bet Rausch Creek isn't $65 per person. Maybe per Jeep or even a discounted rate per person there after.

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
It's more than $65. $50 per year membership plus $65 for driver, plus $20 for each. One day will cost you $115. After the first day, it's $65. I remember when it was $20 for the day.

All persons 16 and older, whether a driver or a passenger, must become members of the park. The membership costs $50 and is good through 12/31 of the year you join (those joining Oct-Dec will be good through 12/31 of the following year). Once you are a member, the daily entrance fee for the vehicle and its driver is $65. Passengers are $20 each (the $20 is waived the day a passenger pays for their membership). Children 15 and younger free.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
To use the Mammoth trail at AOAA. You must pass tech. Full cage, 5 point seat belt, and helmet.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
That what I thought. A set price, then a discounted rate per person there after. That's isn't great considering the membership thing but isn't terrible either. Still isn't $50 per person regardless. Rausch Creek also has more to offer. Like no helmets and actual obstacles. And even then still seems cheaper if I was looking to bring company.

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
That what I thought. A set price, then a discounted rate per person there after. That's isn't great but isn't terrible but Rausch Creek also has more to offer. Like no helmets and actual obstacles. And even then still seems cheaper if I was looking to being company.
The helmet thing. They are trying to protect themselves from lawsuits. One big lawsuit and the park closes down.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
The helmet thing. They are trying to protect themselves from lawsuits. One big lawsuit and the park closes down.
I get it but as I mentioned in my initial post. Just seems like too much hassle to go out of the way for. So maybe I'm right by thinking it's probably not worth me making a special trip. Maybe if I had an opportunity to be near by.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: So just found out that if you're military or a veteran you can get a permit for the same price as an in-state purchaser at a rate of $26.50. Opposed to the normal out of state purchaser rate of $50. Permits regardless of price are good to the end of the year although I'd doubt I'd ever go back if I do go at all. Still good to know though.

But that lessens the blow of pricing a little, considering if I was to go, I would have liked to bring a few people.
Sponsored