Sponsored

Taller, Bumpier, Winchier, and Better-Driving JTR c/o Rock Krawler, et al.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my JTR back from the shop. I walked six miles to get there. I could have called a friend or taken a taxi, but felt I the exercise would do me no harm.

So far, I had the following installed:

1. Rock Krawler JT 3” Pro-X "No Limits" Stage 1 lift kit’
http://rockkrawler.com/jt-3-0-inch-pro-x-no-limits-system-stage-1/

2. Fox Racing Shox 985-24-173 2.0 Performance Series IFP Steering Stabilizer
https://www.quadratec.com/p/fox-racing-shox/20-performance-series-ifp-steering-stabilizer-wrangler-jl

3. Synergy Jeep JL Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit:
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-steering-stabilizer-relocation-kit.html

4. Quadratec QRC Front Winch Ready Bumper Full Width with 12,000 lb Synthetic Winch:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/qrc-front-winch-ready-bumper-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt/full-width-12000-lb-synthetic

Sometime in February, I will have the remaining (backordered) items installed:

5. Synergy Jeep JL / JT HD Steering Kit:
HD Adjustable Drag Link
HD Adjustable Tie Rod
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-hd-steering-kit.html?category_id=4980

6. Synergy Jeep JL/JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace:
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-jt-front-track-bar-and-sector-shaft-brace.html?category_id=4980

I only drove it the six miles back home, but it immediately was obvious that it drives WAY better than stock. One of the main reasons for this is the steering. I never had the loose steering that has plagued some on here. My steering was tight, but required a fair amount of input to keep it straight in the lane. Now, it feels much closer to my 2015 GMC Sierra. It pretty much tracks straight with no input for long distances.

Only disappointment was that they could not reinstall the front skid plate with the Quadratec front bumper on there. However, when I take it back to the shop to have items 5 & 6 put on, the shop is going to cut the skid plate for me to make it fit.

I will take some better pics in sunlight, but here are a few. It appears that there is at least 17” of clearance now under the lowest hanging portion of the underbelly, not counting the diffs or axles.

Sn1dGH7.jpg

admlGpE.jpg

rYJwhGN.jpg

I think it might look a slight bit better with 37s, but I don’t care much about appearance for appearance’s sake alone, and the 35s should do all of what I need for a while without adding an extra 10 lbs at each corner.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Awesome build! You will love the new steering components when you get them on. I just put on your item #6. It’s a hella of a piece IMO for steering. I wish I put one on my last JKU I had.

OP
OP
MarineHawk

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome build! You will love the new steering components when you get them on. I just put on your item #6. It’s a hella of a piece IMO for steering. I wish I put one on my last JKU I had.
Thanks Sass. Good info. My steering is so good now, if the Synergy components make it any better, it will drive like a Maybach.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MarineHawk

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sunshine finally appeared:

bg0DCcK.jpg

a7lhxta.jpg

Did my first highway driving, and the steering is definitely improved. It tracks straight much better than before at highway speeds.

The lift doesn’t seem to have affected my gas mileage much, if any. I have a 16.2-mile stretch of urban highway that I have used as a benchmark test mpg run for years on various vehicles when traffic is low and there are no significant winds. It’s mostly level with slight ups and downs. I zero the tripometer after I get up to speed and when I reach a certain mile-marker. Without the lift, I was getting around 23 mpg on this stretch. Today, averaging 52.3 mph (ranging from 40 to 65 mph), I got 23.6 mpg on a that stretch.

wytu0Fm.jpg

I never actually get that kind of mileage in real-world driving because I’m generally either going much faster or engaged in more stop-and-go traffic. But I think that stretch is a good benchmark test.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
Just got my JTR back from the shop. I walked six miles to get there. I could have called a friend or taken a taxi, but felt I the exercise would do me no harm.

So far, I had the following installed:

1. Rock Krawler JT 3” Pro-X "No Limits" Stage 1 lift kit’
http://rockkrawler.com/jt-3-0-inch-pro-x-no-limits-system-stage-1/

2. Fox Racing Shox 985-24-173 2.0 Performance Series IFP Steering Stabilizer
https://www.quadratec.com/p/fox-racing-shox/20-performance-series-ifp-steering-stabilizer-wrangler-jl

3. Synergy Jeep JL Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit:
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-steering-stabilizer-relocation-kit.html

4. Quadratec QRC Front Winch Ready Bumper Full Width with 12,000 lb Synthetic Winch:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/qrc-front-winch-ready-bumper-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt/full-width-12000-lb-synthetic

Sometime in February, I will have the remaining (backordered) items installed:

5. Synergy Jeep JL / JT HD Steering Kit:
HD Adjustable Drag Link
HD Adjustable Tie Rod
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-hd-steering-kit.html?category_id=4980

6. Synergy Jeep JL/JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace:
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-jt-front-track-bar-and-sector-shaft-brace.html?category_id=4980

I only drove it the six miles back home, but it immediately was obvious that it drives WAY better than stock. One of the main reasons for this is the steering. I never had the loose steering that has plagued some on here. My steering was tight, but required a fair amount of input to keep it straight in the lane. Now, it feels much closer to my 2015 GMC Sierra. It pretty much tracks straight with no input for long distances.

Only disappointment was that they could not reinstall the front skid plate with the Quadratec front bumper on there. However, when I take it back to the shop to have items 5 & 6 put on, the shop is going to cut the skid plate for me to make it fit.

I will take some better pics in sunlight, but here are a few. It appears that there is at least 17” of clearance now under the lowest hanging portion of the underbelly, not counting the diffs or axles.

Sn1dGH7.jpg

admlGpE.jpg

rYJwhGN.jpg

I think it might look a slight bit better with 37s, but I don’t care much about appearance for appearance’s sake alone, and the 35s should do all of what I need for a while without adding an extra 10 lbs at each corner.
It looks great. I have a sport so I’m hoping the gap between fender and tire is not as big with my 35’s

OP
OP
MarineHawk

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It looks great. I have a sport so I’m hoping the gap between fender and tire is not as big with my 35’s
Thanks. Yeah, the gap, I think, on the Rubi is 1.5" more than with the Sport. So, yours should look better. I might eventually go to 37s, but for now, the 35s should do what I want off-road and do better on road--at least without re-gearing.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
Thanks. Yeah, the gap, I think, on the Rubi is 1.5" more than with the Sport. So, yours should look better. I might eventually go to 37s, but for now, the 35s should do what I want off-road and do better on road--at least without re-gearing.
Agreed! I love the idea of 37’s but can not justify the cost when my 35’s were free and are more than capable of doing the job.

OP
OP
MarineHawk

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed! I love the idea of 37’s but can not justify the cost when my 35’s were free and are more than capable of doing the job.
I will be doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZMOt4_W6k, and some similar stuff in the spring.

37s would make it marginally easier to get through that unscathed, but that is only because it would provide another inch of lift.

My friend on the right in the pic below could do anything with that rig with 35s and a ridiculously-high lift that he could do with his other monster rig (un-pictured) that had 40s.

MX4Jrrb.jpg

Taller tires do raise the diff height. But, on the rough stuff, I think lift is more important than increased tire-size. It’s just that a tall lift doesn’t look as good when the tires don’t fill up the well.

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 JT Rubi, 2020 JT Sport Hemi Swap, 2021 JT Rubi Diesel
37s would make it marginally easier to get through that unscathed, but that is only because it would provide another inch of lift.
The radius increase makes climbing tall obstacles easier and helps approach/departure angles as well... And we all know about JT departure angles.

but you're totally right, there's tons of examples of small tire rigs hanging with the big tire guys.

OP
OP
MarineHawk

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The radius increase makes climbing tall obstacles easier and helps approach/departure angles as well... And we all know about JT departure angles.

but you're totally right, there's tons of examples of small tire rigs hanging with the big tire guys.
Right. Totally agree, except that doesn't lifting equally help the approach/departure angles? I'm mostly just saying that going 2" (6%) taller from 35" to 37" likely is not going to be decisive on most obstacles. Maybe have to pick a different line, etc. … I'd prefer 37" for that environment, but I only have 2.3K miles on my 35" Coopers. so, I am going to keep them for a while. I got the 35s before I knew that I was going to lift. Probably would have gone to 37s if I knew I was going to lift.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 JT Rubi, 2020 JT Sport Hemi Swap, 2021 JT Rubi Diesel
Right. Totally agree, except that doesn't lifting equally help the approach/departure angles? I'm mostly just saying that going 2" (6%) taller from 35" to 37" likely is not going to be decisive on most obstacles. Maybe have to pick a different line, etc. … I'd prefer 37" for that environment, but I only have 2.3K miles on my 35" Coopers. so, I am going to keep them for a while. I got the 35s before I knew that I was going to lift. Probably would have gone to 37s if I knew I was going to lift.
You're totally right, both lift and tire size increase have the same effect on approach/departure angle.

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
So what is your roof height now with the lift? I love the idea of this lift, but wonder if I'll still fit in the garage after I put the rack and tent on it.

OP
OP
MarineHawk

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So what is your roof height now with the lift? I love the idea of this lift, but wonder if I'll still fit in the garage after I put the rack and tent on it.
Seems odd, but I’m measuring 76”. Maybe I’m doing it wrong. Specs say the JTR is 75” tall stock. I definitely have tires with a 1” taller radius; and a more-lifted vehicle by about 3”.

0t3LztS.jpg

Stock with those tires:

DXdLO6g.jpg

Sp75AsV.jpg

With the lift:

bg0DCcK.jpg

a7lhxta.jpg

So, I should be about 79".

But I came up with 76” measuring from the ground to the high point of the roof. I’ll try it again when it stops sleeting.

Is it possible that the 75" spec is for the soft top, and that is higher than the hard top? Or are they measuring it differently?
Sponsored

Last edited: