TASER JL Mini Kills 3rd Brake light upon connection

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
As soon as I attach my Taser JL Mini to my 2020 Gladiator the third brake light goes out.
I have everything reset to factory on the Taser, Unmarried and removed, Wait a couple of days to make sure any sleep cycles are over, and then reconnect the Taser. Without doing anything else, immediately the third brake light is off when pressing the brake. I've had my wife press the brake pedal so I can see it.

The Gladiator is a Mojave, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Has anyone with a Gladiator, perhaps specifically the Mojave tested to see if their third brake light works with the Taser installed?

Thanks
Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
After unmarrying it, did you do the full 2.5 minute reboot, and then run it though two actual sleep cycles?
Level ground, foot off the brake, turn the ignition off, close the driver’s door and
wait about 60 seconds AFTER the dash goes dark, turn the ignition on (but not the engine).
Repeat.

OP
OP

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
Yes, multiple times. Working with Vendor on this for about 2 months doing many more things than what I posted here, or what is in the instructions or their web site. My questions is specifically, has anyone one else checked their third brake light to see if they also have this problem. If I find more people, it may help the vendor troubleshoot. I wouldn't have known about this except I wanted to see what the different third brake light flashing options look like, and discovered the light doesn't come on at all once the taser is connected, and come on the moment it is removed, even with and without marry, unmarry, full reboot etc. The light quits working the moment the taser is connected regardless of what else is done. The vendor has had me try various things to get it working and pinpoint where the problem is. My thoughts were maybe it is specific to the Mojave or even Rubicon trim on the Gladiator. Thanks for your advice. It is appreciated.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I updated to the latest firmware and enabled random patterns on the CHMSL this weekend. I'll take a look and report back, 2020 JTR.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
@JeepJunky unfortunately (?) my light works as expected. Turns out I don't like the random pulse pattern, though.

OP
OP

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
@JeepJunky unfortunately (?) my light works as expected. Turns out I don't like the random pulse pattern, though.
LOL! Made you look? That was going to be my choice once the fine folks that make the Taser get this figured out.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I actually looked for the first time too, and am not a fan of whatever it was I set it to 6000 miles ago. It's too fast/subtle. Like 2 flashes in half a second. I want it a little more attention getting. That's it's purpose, right?

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob

Original Tazer JL (Firmware 11.2.8), also my CHMSL works as it should, 2021 JT Rubicon 3.6L/8-speed auto.

However I do like the pulsing CHMSL, might help get the attention of drivers behind me.

I have mine set as Live Function
PlsBrkNum: 16
PlsBrkSpd: ramp down

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I'll try that, my brain heard crackling and popping electrical noises from the random pattern. I think it's a synesthesia effect.

Jeep Gladiator TASER JL Mini Kills 3rd Brake light upon connection Pylons2016

Original Tazer JL (Firmware 11.2.8), also my CHMSL works as it should, 2021 JT Rubicon 3.6L/8-speed auto.

However I do like the pulsing CHMSL, might help get the attention of drivers behind me.

I have mine set as Live Function
PlsBrkNum: 16
PlsBrkSpd: ramp down

OP
OP

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
I actually looked for the first time too, and am not a fan of whatever it was I set it to 6000 miles ago. It's too fast/subtle. Like 2 flashes in half a second. I want it a little more attention getting. That's it's purpose, right?
I agree, It might wake up a road hypnotized driver from slamming into you.

DustyGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Gladiator Mojave, 22' Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Network systems engineer
Any updates on this issue? I have a 2021 Mojave and my third brake light doesn't work. I didn't notice until I tried setting up the pulsing on my tazer.

Coincidentally my wife has a 2020 Gladiator overland without the tazer and hers doesn't work either

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Might be a coincidence, but after running the tazer, I had the third brake light fail altogether. I replaced the light assembly and everything works as it should.

OP
OP

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
Might be a coincidence, but after running the tazer, I had the third brake light fail altogether. I replaced the light assembly and everything works as it should.
I have been working with the Taser folks through this experience. They are very responsive and helpful.
Here is my current status on figuring this out:
I was unloading the bed and noticed the third brake light flash when I slammed the tailgate shut.
Realizing that can't be taser related, I took the tailgate inner panel off to access the light and wiring harness.
I could turn the third brake light off an on by wiggling the connector.
I unplugged the connector and noticed it was full of 'black stuff' (Perhaps dielectric grease turned black from a bad connector causing arc'ing)
I brought it to the dealer who ordered a new light. It came in and they couldn't remove the light from the harness due to some back yard, shade tree mechanic using carburetor cleaner to clean out the connector. Yup, that maroon fused the two pieces together. Now we are waiting on a new harness to finish the testing process. Don't be me, I mean, 'that guy' and use carburetor cleaner on plastic. That's really stupid.
What I'd like to offer, to see if this is a problem with out Gladiators is, open your tailgate, remove the 6 or 8 screws that hold that center panel in, find the wire going to your LED third brake light, and wiggles the connector while observing the light. if you can make it wiggle, then we have found a new 'known' problem with our Jeep.
We will recommend that Jeep use a JL Taser Mini to test for bad connectors. :)
Please post here if you decide to try this and let us know if you also have bad connectors.

As for the guy whose wife also has a Jeep, You married the right woman! I can't get mine to go offroad with me. Something about mountains, thousand foot drops, getting stuck in large mud puddles etc.
Sponsored

Last edited: