Sponsored

Tazer and Dealership visit questions

TacticalRedneck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
So I just want to make sure I understand this correctly when I go to the dealer.

1. Unmarry the Tazer and remove.
2. Plug the factory plugs back into factory module.

At this point my truck is back to everything factory setting.

So after I return from the dealer can I just plug the Tazer back in and I'm back to all of my Tazer settigns or do I need to set it all back up (tire size, AUX swicthes, etc.)?

Please correct me if any of this is wrong.

Thanks
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
What’s the likelihood anyone would notice if I just unplugged without unmarruing? I just want to use my free oil changes.

Proteus

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JT
I was wondering about this too. I think I've found that even if you unplug AND unmarry, it will still have the tazer settings until it power cycles a couple times. I wish I wouldn't have to go through it for every trip to the dealership

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
What’s the likelihood anyone would notice if I just unplugged without unmarruing? I just want to use my free oil changes.

Some dealerships will check VIN's during oil changes to see if you need any updates. If you do need an update things could get weird if Tazer is plugged in.

Sponsored

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
I totally forgot/forget that I have the Tazar and everytime I've been to the dealership(3 different dealerships Az, Va, WV) since I added it around 8l miles or 2 warranty items, 37s installed, and 4 oil changes/tire rotations, and no one has said a thing about it.

** This even included a PCM update that I was made aware of after the visit.

I'm not saying that it won't be an issue at some point, but I'm not sure they care.

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
You got it right... Unmarry, remove Tazer JL hardware and reconnect the 2 cables at the security gateway.
But what about the extension cables? Put those in yesterday, supposedly to make it easier to remove the Tazer before going to the dealer.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
What a PITA.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
@Jaydebe

It is up to the installer/user of an aftermarket adjunct to have a clue.... do his homework before installing.. With a programmer it is a must to keep current .... your knowledge on same and the firmware on the Tazer JL.

Joe at ZAutomotive has always mentioned what I have mentioned in this thread..

I did/do keep it current. And for the record, I've updated the device 2x since getting it in July; but not in 2021 yet because I tend to work 70-80+ a week managing 100 condos at a ski resort; barely having time to eat and breath let alone work on my truck.

That all said...
When you are on the product page, NO WHERE does it ever mention anything more than just Simple Plug and Play.

No bold, red lettered "AWAYS REMOVE BEFORE GOING TO DEALERSHIP, GETTING UPDATES, ETC."

I'm not blaming anyone for anything;

but... It's like have the Covid19 Vaccine info page tell you it's as simply as sit in a chair and get pricked in the arm. Then, having to go onto a "Goldilocks" Forums to find out all of the $hit$torm that can happen.

Personally, I rely on the Manufacturer's webite for 411 more than a forum because "social media" is almost always subject to people's perception, but the website of any equipment should always be the main source for any product 411.

I'm not new to any of this, I've been building cars (mostly VW's) for 30 years. I've used modules in Subi's, Toyotas, etc without issue.

And still, yet to have an issue here. I'm just saying the statement made by "Jay" in the Wrangler post should be more common knowledge and not something you have to ask, period.

Sponsored

Gary Cox

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Electrician / Part owner Riverfront Honda Polaris
I am in the same boat I have an appointment this Friday for an oil change, I am ok with removing the Tazer but not sure I want to unmarry it because I added the Mopar LED headlights and tail lights, so if it returns everything back to stock, will it cause an issue with my lights?

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
All I want is an accurate speedometer.

the dealership can recalibrate. Right?

anyone know the cost?

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
All I want is an accurate speedometer.
the dealership can recalibrate. Right?
There are many posts here about having someone else calibrate your vehicle, only to drive around and find out afterwards it's close, but still slightly off (or worse). I splurged and got the JL Mini and even then had to tweak it a few times until the calibration was right on target. I guess I'm picturing - you have the dealership calibrate, drive off and find that it's off (slightly or a lot), then have to go back X number of times until it's right. My time is worth more than that.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
Also.. you should definitely read here:

Read here... especially the last 2 paragraphs..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-mini-needs-to-stay-married.61293/post-1310209
I wanted to add this since I read this and it scared me a little since I forgot to take my Tazer out last Fall and the dealership did update my system.

I reached out to Tazer and this is the email from Joe:
(I bolded the part that to me in important!

Hi Jay,

There are several parts of that thread that are dead wrong: The Tazer doesn't write to the PCM at all; it writes to the BCM.
There's nothing in the BCM that'll render the Jeep dead. Worst case scenario is that the dealer flashed an update that had a BCM config change t go along with it, and it happened to be a bit of data that the Tazer can write to. When you unmarry after the dealer did their work, you'd be writing the old value back in. I've never seen this to be an issue (for example at some point they changed the default tire Psi on Rubicons from 37psi to 36psi...)

So you can carry on without worry.

Also it's U0168 loss of comm with SGW, not the other code listed in that thread (which is an ABS wheel sensor code).
U0168 is a benign warning and will never illuminate the check engine light. And the chances of a hacker taking over your Jeep (when they think all FCA vehicles are locked out due to the SGW)... well you're better off playing MegaMillions.

Thanks,
Joe Zizzadoro
President
Z Automotive Technologies
I honestly didn't read some of the initial thread that pertains to the U0168 commentary, but I wanted to share this so people have the best 411 on the device in question.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I leave mine in, getting my XXLT self under the dash to uninstall it is not worth it.

Invariably they ask if a tuner is present, and the answer is yes leave it alone.

I'm not concerned with "voiding" the warranty, ymmv
Sponsored