Website
www.all-terrainshocksolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Owner/COO All-Terrain Shock Solutions, LLC
I need some quick advise! Here's a time line of events leading up to the current situation:

Bought a new pop up camper yesterday and left the trailer light connection hooked up over night. Came out this morning and the truck was deader than a door nail.

Jumped the truck off:

The "service start/stop system" display came up along with the @! symbol.

This was affecting my uconnect as well not letting me set the ac to any specific temp just taking it from whatever temp straight to hi or low.

Tried letting it run for a while, then tried disconnecting the battery hoping for some sort of reset (was reading 14.x volts at the time before the battery disconnect).

Some genius at work said you have to touch the positive and negative leads together to completely clear the computer.

As soon as he did that and I saw the spark between the leads I told him that was a BAD idea as there was a secondary battery (for the start/stop system) still active on those leads.

This is where the fun began.

Now I'm reading 11.x volts, the battery light is on as well and I'm getting the message that the vehicle will be shutting itself down soon.

I take the pop-up camper attached and park it in a safe place at the shop, then as I'm pulling away from it to park the truck next to the shop, it starts to die.

I threw the truck into neutral to coast to a stop, then put it in park.

When I hit the start button to turn the truck off, the display was telling me that the vehicle was still in gear (it was not). Couldn't turn it off (engine wasn't running, but the ignition was in the "run" position). Front windows down, Tazer still installed and married, and my only recourse that I can think of is take it to the dealership.

At this point, I can remove the Tazer but can not un-marry it. What the heck do I do now?

2021 Mojave with 3000 miles on it!

Jeep Gladiator Tazer Help Needed!!! 20210113_101133
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I need some quick advise! Here's a time line of events leading up to the current situation:

Bought a new pop up camper yesterday and left the trailer light connection hooked up over night. Came out this morning and the truck was deader than a door nail.

Jumped the truck off:

The "service start/stop system" display came up along with the @! symbol.

This was affecting my uconnect as well not letting me set the ac to any specific temp just taking it from whatever temp straight to hi or low.

Tried letting it run for a while, then tried disconnecting the battery hoping for some sort of reset (was reading 14.x volts at the time before the battery disconnect).

Some genius at work said you have to touch the positive and negative leads together to completely clear the computer.

As soon as he did that and I saw the spark between the leads I told him that was a BAD idea as there was a secondary battery (for the start/stop system) still active on those leads.

This is where the fun began.

Now I'm reading 11.x volts, the battery light is on as well and I'm getting the message that the vehicle will be shutting itself down soon.

I take the pop-up camper attached and park it in a safe place at the shop, then as I'm pulling away from it to park the truck next to the shop, it starts to die.

I threw the truck into neutral to coast to a stop, then put it in park.

When I hit the start button to turn the truck off, the display was telling me that the vehicle was still in gear (it was not). Couldn't turn it off (engine wasn't running, but the ignition was in the "run" position). Front windows down, Tazer still installed and married, and my only recourse that I can think of is take it to the dealership.

At this point, I can remove the Tazer but can not un-marry it. What the heck do I do now?

2021 Mojave with 3000 miles on it!

Could you have shorted out the battery or a cell in the battery?

I’d take the battery out and get it tested.

I’ve seen electrical systems get real funny when a battery has issues.

I don’t know much about the second start/stop battery in these things, but it could also have an issue.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Just take the module off if you can't unmarry it and don't mention anything if they ask if you did anything just say no I really doubt they will even know you did anything with a Tazer

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
all modern car do stupid shit( really cazy behaviors) when battery is low charge or going bad.. charge battery over night, should fix your issues

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blake Thomas

Blake Thomas

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yes, good chance the 150 amp fuse in the Fuse array is blown, amongst other possible issues..

Indeed, if you disconnect the positive cable on the Main battery and that cable touches metal, gets shorted, you will see the 150 amp fuse, in the 68368853AA Mopar Z Case Fuse Array get blown.

Here is a pic of the fuse array with the plastic covering removed from it. Note, the blown
150 amp fuse.. Fuse was blown when pos cable on main battery, touched nearby metal. 8-(
View attachment 127507

Fuse Array... retails for about $70+-.
fuse array.jpg
Yes sir. Already saved those images for purchase to have a spare on hand as advised. Thanks again! 😁

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wow - hope he didn't blow your alternator doing that BS. What a crock.
One should always charge the batteries with a good battery charger, not rely on dead batteries charging via alternator after a jump. That's bad.
Any time the batteries are dead - charge them. Don't jump and rely on the charging system.
I've got pictures of alternators sent to me for restoration with the diodes blown clean apart, tops blown clear off. Someone decided to do something silly.

Besides, as has been said, when you pull a cable off the main battery, the lower battery is still connected - meaning with the system and alternator.
Hope fuses are all that's blown.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Fascinating read about the PDC and the fuse.

I googled and they can be had for less than $50. I might pick one up to keep as a spare in the Jeep. That’s one of those things that will leave you stranded off-road it seems.

OP
OP
Blake Thomas

Blake Thomas

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yes, good chance the 150 amp fuse in the Fuse array is blown, amongst other possible issues..

Indeed, if you disconnect the positive cable on the Main battery and that cable touches metal, gets shorted, you will see the 150 amp fuse, in the 68368853AA Mopar Z Case Fuse Array get blown.

Here is a pic of the fuse array with the plastic covering removed from it. Note, the blown
150 amp fuse.. Fuse was blown when pos cable on main battery, touched nearby metal. 8-(
View attachment 127507

Fuse Array... retails for about $60+-.
Should I just replace the fuse array and trickle charge the batteries over the next couple of day bypassing taking it to the dealer all together? I have access to those chargers...

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I think you would have been fine by charging the batteries after jumping. When the batteries get low, the start/stop function will temporarily suspend operation until there is enough charge. As others have said, vehicles will do goofy things and throw strange error messages when the charge is low.

I’ve only had to unplug my Tazer when taking it in. There is some confusing information out there. However, zautomotive told me I only need to unmarry if I was switching vehicles. Otherwise, just unplug for dealer visits.

Hope replacing the fuse and charging gets you back up and running. Keep us posted.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I've never unmarried my Tazer, just removed it, for multiple services including the TSB for the steering box. I know they flashed the ROM at the time, or the workorder said they did. Not a peep about anything.

Edit to add: I'd include there were two Samsung tablet Bluetooth profiles on my Uconnect when I went to re-add my iPad, so I know they were mucking in the guts with diagnostics and or flash updates.

I believe you misunderstood what you say ZAutomotive said. You might want to ask Joe at ZAutomotive again. He recommends unmarry and removal of Tazer JL hardware when the vehicle goes to the Service Department..

Here is a post that while is a little dramatic, does explain the concern of leaving the Tazer JL married... and well, how the Tazer JL works lets say... Read the whole post.... pay attention to the last 2 paragraphs.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-mini-needs-to-stay-married.61293/post-1310209

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@brianinca

Well, what you did is not in your / your JT's best interests...

This is not rocket science lets say.. DO, take the time to read the post I linked to earlier. The info in that post is relevant.

Do as you wish but the guy/gal that is up to speed on this stuff will unmarry and remove the Tazer JL. As mentioned, even Joe @ ZAutomotive will tell you in general it is best to unmarry and remove the hardware. Only takes about 4 mins to do this.... only prudent to do so.

IF, if you doubt it is best to unmarry and pull the hardware, I suggest you reach out to Joe at ZAutomotive and have him verify lets say, what is in the post I linked to... and also his feeling on whether to unmarry and remove the hardware.. I know if you communicate with JOE, himself, directly, that he will tell you unmarry and remove hardware.

Suggest you buy the SWG extension cable from ZAutomotive so you don't have so much angst about pulling the hardware and reconnecting the 2 cables.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/
The flash for the EHPS isn't going to be impacted like the flash for the trailer brake controller (ABS) or the PCM (misfire issues, etc.)- those are where people have indeed gotten into some trouble, DEPENDING........

snip:

The "two Samsung tablet Bluetooth profiles" you saw were undoubtedly related to the Samsung devices the Service Writer's used the day your JT was there. The Service Writer's are pushed by FCA to use the tablets when logging in a vehicle. The wiTECH ll, that the tech uses/used, for diagnostics and updates, does not leave a footprint in UConnect as those tablets did.

By the way, if you ever have trouble with your Smartphone, ipad, etc., in regard to your JT, do go to "Projection Manager", Paired Phones and Audio Devices in UConnect, and remove any and all devices in Projection Manager and then repair the devices you want. More often then not doing this will remedy issues you may have.

Right - the dealer stuff leaves NO TRACES, especially not in the uconnect. It's not bluetooth to the radio. And other updates can be done via USB........ it's not fun but the consumer can do radio updates via a USB drive (4 gig I believe is recommended)

I've unpaired my phone twice and still to this day uconnect doesn't deal with new text messages. It will if I unpair and reconnect or turn my phone's bluetooth off and back on while in the truck, otherwise the truck doesn't like to do my phone's texts. I even talked to the dealer - they cleared everything and re-paired my phone. It worked while I was there then the next day my wife texted me while I was out with my truck - she wanted some grocery items - it didn't come through.
So I've just resigned myself to the fact uconnect and my LG phone will never work together for texts. My wife's GC - works perfectly every single time. She has an identical phone.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa

To my knowledge, only, the 8.4 can be updated using a thumb drive..

My guess is that your issue with your LG is that your LG(s) is a dinosaur of sorts... Move to a newer Smartphone for a better experience lets say with the JT's, UCONNECT... 8-)
LOL - it's only about 2 years old, it was only a year old when I got the truck.
When I got it, it was the highest rated phone on the android market (best camera for sure)
My wife and I both get new phones roughly every 2 to 2.5 years. We get identical phones to keep it simple. We also keep the OS and apps updated. My truck is the only thing that has a problem with it.
My wife's Grand Cherokees have always worked with BOTH of our phones.
This is the first Jeep that's ever had problems like that.
Even my hearing aids, OBD apps and so on work fine with that phone. I can be OUTSIDE with my phone in the house and catch calls through my hearing aids - and even hear the alert that a text has come through. So if they work - and my wife's Jeeps work, why not the JT?
So why does a 2018 and a 2021 Grand Cherokee work flawlessly with both of our phones (phones are identical) and the JT not? Sounds more like a JT issue to me.
Sponsored