Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
This is less of a review - and more of a "hey I like both of these!"

I won't list all the features of the Tazer Mini, but I think it's good value. I like the fact that the mini does not need the OBDII port. That's a plus. It was a 3 minute install - no tools needed.

The iDrive Throttle Controller is also a great value. I drove about 3 or 4 days without it first, just to make sure there would be a difference. It isn't until I connected and enabled the iDrive that I realized how much pedal lag there really is in the stock config. The last few days I've been using the iDrive in A.C. mode, which is the automatic mode that senses your pedal pressure better than the stock system. I actually want to reach out to them and see if I can disconnect the screen and it will just still work. I don't expect to be adjusting settings on it very often. This too was a 3 minute install - no tools needed.
Sponsored

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi

I won't list all the features of the Tazer Mini, but I think it's good value. I like the fact that the mini does not need the OBDII port. That's a plus. It was a 3 minute install - no tools needed.

The iDrive Throttle Controller is also a great value. I drove about 3 or 4 days without it first, just to make sure there would be a difference. It isn't until I connected and enabled the iDrive that I realized how much pedal lag there really is in the stock config. The last few days I've been using the iDrive in A.C. mode, which is the automatic mode that senses your pedal pressure better than the stock system. I actually want to reach out to them and see if I can disconnect the screen and it will just still work. I don't expect to be adjusting settings on it very often. This too was a 3 minute install - no tools needed.
The iDrive is the one for JL?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Why not just secure the control unit under the dash once you have it set the way you want it?

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yes, that’s my current approach.
Maybe that’s more than enough.
Well, if nothing else it would be in the vehicle connected if some unforeseen circumstance were to arise.

I think I'd put some velcro in an out of the way place and call it a day.

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, if nothing else it would be in the vehicle connected if some unforeseen circumstance were to arise.

I think I'd put some velcro in an out of the way place and call it a day.
Yea, that's a good point... like a command strip... I'm struggling with all these little control panel thingies.
I'll have the iDrive one. The Genesis battery monitor soon, and an sPod. I need to figure out how to consolidate and not make it look horrible.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I was interested in the iDrive Throttle controller but I was watching one of the TrailRecon videos at YT and he was saying that it is more of a hindrance in the trails as it really gives too much power on the wheels and he couldn't control it as well as he wanted to.

@ralphjjr - Did you already get your Genesis dual battery kit? I contacted them and Shane was saying that they are still testing their unit for JT...

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was interested in the iDrive Throttle controller but I was watching one of the TrailRecon videos at YT and he was saying that it is more of a hindrance in the trails as it really gives too much power on the wheels and he couldn't control it as well as he wanted to.

@ralphjjr - Did you already get your Genesis dual battery kit? I contacted them and Shane was saying that they are still testing their unit for JT...
I saw that same trailrecon video. He didn’t actually use an idrive. I can’t remember the exact one he used... but the one be used was not as adjustable as the idrive.
I think the idrive solves the issue he had, mostly that you can very quickly, even while driving, go back to stock pedal feel, or even make the pedal feel laggier (Econ mode) if you want. That Econ mode on the idrive is marketed for trails, to take the edge away. I have not tested it on a trail yet, but it makes absolute sense to me.

As for the Genesis, yes I did order it. I’m going to be a Guinea pig. :lipssealed:
The kit arrives tomorrow, the batteries next Monday. So I’ll do the install then. On the bright side, I still haven’t sold my van, so if it all goes wrong I can still get around :CWL:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I saw that same trailrecon video. He didn’t actually use an idrive. I can’t remember the exact one he used... but the one be used was not as adjustable as the idrive.
I think the idrive solves the issue he had, mostly that you can very quickly, even while driving, go back to stock pedal feel, or even make the pedal feel laggier (Econ mode) if you want. That Econ mode on the idrive is marketed for trails, to take the edge away. I have not tested it on a trail yet, but it makes absolute sense to me.

As for the Genesis, yes I did order it. I’m going to be a Guinea pig. :lipssealed:
The kit arrives tomorrow, the batteries next Monday. So I’ll do the install then. On the bright side, I still haven’t sold my van, so if it all goes wrong I can still get around :CWL:
can't wait to hear about it.

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
can't wait to hear about it.
@ralphjjr - Yeah, please keep us posted on the Genesis dual battery kit... I want to get that first followed by sPOD and air compressor from JK Innovative Products.

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What battery did you go with? Did you just go with the Odyssey they offer?
Yes. I just ordered that one, less of a headache in my mind. Unfortunately it ships from California. Separate from the kit.

BosRacing

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2018 MegaCab, 2020 Gladiator
If that's the case, he wasn't using the proper settings.

I run an iDrive on all my vehicles including my Ultra4 Racing 4600 class JL. You can have preset settings which enables you to switch back and forth just by pressing a button. I currently have it setup to adjust on the fly depending on whether or not we are in the desert section or rocks.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.