First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Wrangler
Occupation
Store Manager Weis Markets
I have the Tazer Mini and keep it in the truck installed. I need to schedule an oil change and am unsure what to do with it. Can I leave it set and installed while at the dealer. Normally they do check for and install any updates. If they plug into the Port under the dash, will that mess things up? Do I remove the Tazer but leave settings as is? Or do I take back to stock settings and remove Tazer. Or can. Just leave everything they way it is and not have any issues afterwards. All advice welcome.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I have the Tazer Mini and keep it in the truck installed. I need to schedule an oil change and am unsure what to do with it. Can I leave it set and installed while at the dealer. Normally they do check for and install any updates. If they plug into the Port under the dash, will that mess things up? Do I remove the Tazer but leave settings as is? Or do I take back to stock settings and remove Tazer. Or can. Just leave everything they way it is and not have any issues afterwards. All advice welcome.
Bumping, I would like to know this as well. Personally I plan to leave my settings in place and remove it before any service work.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping, I would like to know this as well. Personally I plan to leave my settings in place and remove it before any service work.
I was asking a local dealer's accessories fellow about swapping tires on my Overland. He looked and said they were 32" tires. I said I could go to a 33 and he said "we have a device I can sell you for $150, you download your vehicle profile into it, plug it in and recalibrate your speedometer and other things with it, you simply plug it in and leave it there if you want".
That was a dealer - they sell a device - I did not ask WHAT device they sell for that 150 but he indicated no big deal, everyone with a Jeep is doing something similar.
I'm not trying to answer definitively, but just passing along what a dealer accessory guy told me about either the same or a similar device.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I am very particular about my truck and things being flashed with out my specific permission. Had to many bad experiences with updates that made things worse, were very buggy or untuned something I worked hard to setup.

My standard protocol is to talk to the service manager and the tech directly and inform them I do NOT want any software updates and they are not allowed to plug anything into my obd2 port or any other port. I also have a Bluetooth obd2 reader plugged in. It is ziptied in with 4 different neon colored zipties and a piece of tape over that with NO in big letters written on it.
Overkill you may say... I had a bad experience before and I don't wish to repeat it. I keep an eye on all the TSBs and updates that come out and if there is one I may want I will research it heavily and make sure it hasn't caused more problems than it's worth.

If I opt to take an update I will pull all of my programming and unmarry it in the parking lot and remove the tazer or other device. I do not there since I have different gears and tires and don't wanna drive far on factory settings.

When I have a flash pushed I generally bring the tsb that indicates it with me printed out and ensure the tech and service manager are both aware this is all I want.

Before I moved the service manager at the local store was a good friend of mine and the club I was a leader of. He'd actually let me do it myself. I don't have that luxury anymore as every dealer near me is...... Well let's just say I drive a couple hours to get dealer specific work done.

I know what you are asking what caused all this fuss? I was a beta tester for Diablo when the codes for the first round of tuning the JK came around. They didn't tell me they were gonna flash anything and when they did it bricked my ECU and I had to send it to Diablo to be fixed. That was the first time. I then started telling techs not to flash anything. Well one clown decided to take it upon himself to flash the truck because "Jeep wants them to do it." Well he flashed my Jeep back to stock and the device was showing that it was married but the software didn't match so it was locked up until it could be mailed back and ungoofed. Me the tech and service manager had a long conversation about how the Jeep belongs to me and not to Chrysler. My words Trump theirs or I go elsewhere.

That got long winded. My bad.

OP
OP

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Wrangler
Occupation
Store Manager Weis Markets
Thabks for the replies and hope to get more. I’m also worried about something similar happening, but don’t really want to remove the Tazer. Maybe I should just unmarry it just before going in for the service, I alway wait there, and then marry it again before driving away from dealership. Still looking for more advice.
Sponsored