Tazer mini question

foxman350

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I had set my new tire size with the mini and left it plugged in and then had to go to dealer so I unmarried it and unplugged it. A week later I plug it back in and my tire size is back to factory. I thought you could unmarry it after setting size and it would stay??
Sponsored

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
I had set my new tire size with the mini and left it plugged in and then had to go to dealer so I unmarried it and unplugged it. A week later I plug it back in and my tire size is back to factory. I thought you could unmarry it after setting size and it would stay??
no, if you unmarry it sets it back to factory everything. All you do in that case is unplug it. Then plug it back in and you only lose live functions while its unplugged. this is especially important for things like tire size and gearing. If you did that with different gears you would have went into limp mode. Also anytime you make a change, be sure to do a full reboot so it stores and does not trickle drain the battery.

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
@exfil offroad

This explanation is very unclear. Are you incorrectly suggesting that the OP should not have unmarried his/her Tazer JL before the dealership appt.
Simply unplugging the tazer before a dealership visit is not the same as unmarrying. The proper step would indeed be to unplug the tazer, nothing more before the visit.

jludave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
The proper step would indeed be to unplug the tazer, nothing more before the visit.
No. You want to UNMARRY before taking it into the dealer.

If the dealer should happen to flash/update the vehicle for any reason, and you unmarry the Tazer after, you lose whatever the dealer just updated as the Tazer restores the previous configuration it saved.

Always unmarry before heading to the dealer.

Also, after unmarrying and re-marrying you will have to go back and make your setting changes. The unmarry restores the vehicle back to it's stock pre-Tazer settings.

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
No. You want to UNMARRY before taking it into the dealer.

If the dealer should happen to flash/update the vehicle for any reason, and you unmarry the Tazer after, you lose whatever the dealer just updated as the Tazer restores the previous configuration it saved.

Always unmarry before heading to the dealer.

Also, after unmarrying and re-marrying you will have to go back and make your setting changes. The unmarry restores the vehicle back to it's stock pre-Tazer settings.
I see people doing it both ways. I am adjusting tire size and leaving it. Seems counterproductive to go back and forth IMO.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
I see people doing it both ways. I am adjusting tire size and leaving it. Seems counterproductive to go back and forth IMO.
Whether or not people do it both ways is irrelevant. There's a right way and wrong way to use the Tazer. The correct way is to unmarry before any type of dealer service.

The instructions clearly state this. And, the guys from Z Automotive are active members of the JL forums and have stated so many times.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I understand and agree that proper thing is to unmarry before visiting the dealer. It specifically states so in the instructions.
My question is will the Jeep drive like crap once you unmarry it since the tires size and gearing will all go back to factory settings? At a ,minimum the transmission will probably wonder what the hell is going on and your Speedo is going to be way off. Also surely the dealer knows you have something even if it’s not in the Jeep at that moment. No one would make alll the mods and then not get some flavor of programmer to address and maximize all the changes

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
no its not incorrect! you just unplug it
I think lots of people are confused. Unplugging is not the same as I marrying if that makes sense. The guys running 37-40” and gear changes unplug it at times. Highly doubt they unmarry as that returns all changes to stock settings

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@exfil offroad

This explanation is very unclear. Are you incorrectly suggesting that the OP should not have unmarried his/her Tazer JL before the dealership appt.
I am, if you have changed the gears alone your going to ruin your vehicle trying to drive it as a service technician and its reset. Tazer states to unmarry so you dont void warranty potentially, but I have had my vehicle serviced many times with no issue and dont unmarry it. Just unplug it for the vehicle and it will only show that gears and maybe your tire size have been changed. Or go ahead unmarry the thing with new gears if you want and watch the alarms go off and you only be able to drive 10 miles an hour, im sure the dealer wont think anything of that. And lets be clear, nothing I am stating is personal, nor am i in my feelings, Ive been running the tazer since 18 with the new JL and have never unmarried one until i sold one of my JL's to the dealer. And fortunately the only mod to that vehicle was slightly larger tires, but again now that vehicle is at the dealer and the tire size is incorrect because it was unmarried.

Sponsored

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand and agree that proper thing is to unmarry before visiting the dealer. It specifically states so in the instructions.
My question is will the Jeep drive like crap once you unmarry it since the tires size and gearing will all go back to factory settings? At a ,minimum the transmission will probably wonder what the hell is going on and your Speedo is going to be way off. Also surely the dealer knows you have something even if it’s not in the Jeep at that moment. No one would make alll the mods and then not get some flavor of programmer to address and maximize all the changes
If you unmarry it with different gears, your going to possibly ruin them, at minimum your vehicle will light up like a tree and go into limp mode. There really is zero resason to unmarry unless you sell the vehicle and want to keep the tazer.

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
If you unmarry it with different gears, your going to possibly ruin them, at minimum your vehicle will light up like a tree and go into limp mode. There really is zero resason to unmarry unless you sell the vehicle and want to keep the tazer.
Let the keyboard warriors figure it out the hard way. 🤷🏻‍♂️

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let the keyboard warriors figure it out the hard way. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I guess, I just hate miss information. I would also hate for someone to ruin their vehicle because of this. Think like a lawyer, this is an aftermarket part, how can I avoid liability giving you access to change computer programming on a vehicle that is thrown down a road 80 miles an hour? Oh idea... Use at your own risk... Then how can I avoid you claiming I am responsible for breaking your warranty... Oh idea... Unmarry before service :)

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
I guess, I just hate miss information. I would also hate for someone to ruin their vehicle because of this. Think like a lawyer, this is an aftermarket part, how can I avoid liability giving you access to change computer programming on a vehicle that is thrown down a road 80 miles an hour? Oh idea... Use at your own risk... Then how can I avoid you claiming I am responsible for breaking your warranty... Oh idea... Unmarry before service :)
💯

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
The people that parrot this same bullshit are the ones still wearing a mask. You either know or you do not, there is no fixing that side.😉
Sponsored