Tell me all about your decked system

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
So, I'm looking to get some insight into the decked system on the gladiator and what the real world experience is. They have a heap of marketing that makes it look like the answer to all problems and this is all well and good but of course it's always gonna work because they chose what to put in it before filming.

Some background, I am not looking for it to be "The Ultimate Extreme Overlanders Solutiuon to Storage!" but rather in the trunk of my JK I have a collection of milk crates that hold stuff I might need but not at the moment. Added to this is work tools, PPE kinda stuff like climbing harnesses etc, chainsaw and stuff etc. A gladiator seems to be out on the horizon and I want to get my plan planned so it can all assemble like voltron on or about day 1 and I need to know if I'm wasting my thoughts on a system that seems to work well and perhaps does work well for other trucks but may not be best fit for the gladiator.

Additional background, I am also looking to add the Leer top and both front and rear front runner racks for a complete look. I am well known to use front and rear hitch baskets for the "heavy things" you don't want on the roof like a 165qt cooler full of ice and a 90qt cooler full of liquids to be iced. So my typical methods are distributed loading with heavier or harder items down low and light fluffy things ups high. The issue I see is the decked to leer space being restrictive, perhaps too low for a travel kennel but we shall see. Simple math on this says the decked should finish up around seat bottom height so seat to hardtop should be ~=~ to decked to cap height. For honking big stuff the cap can come off and for those peeled at the beach days it can all be stripped with coolers/grill etc lashed to the decked.

But enough ramble, please tell me all about your decked; that you like, what you don't like, what could be better, what is just marketing puffery and all that jazz. Action photos encouraged.

Advertisement

869 KPH

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Ram Sport SLT+ 4x4
Occupation
Dirt & Rocks

Relevant to my interests. I'll be getting an ARE topper and am wondering if that's enough or if something like a decked system should be added too.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled
Occupation
Project Manager
I had one in my previous truck (tundra) so I was used to the costs and benefits. I will say with the gladiator you almost HAVE to have a topper of some kind to keep any kind of bed functionality because the remaining height to the top of the bed rails is so limited. I bought both of my decked units used. People tend not to do their research and end up unhappy with the system. I struggled to keep the system watertight (it was WELL used and I removed and reinstalled it constantly so that could be my fault) in my tundra, but the one in the gladiator is newer and I've left it in full time, with no water issues. I think the nice thing about them is that your gear is right at waist level. No crawling into the truck to get tools out. But, it also means that your tailgate can't be used at the same time (example- can't set the camp stove on the tailgate if you need to get back into the drawers for anything). All in all, I think it's a good system, evidenced by the fact I've bought 2. Watch the gladiator forum classifieds and facebook marktetplace. They come up for sale all the time.

Berserker556

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
k5 Blazer, '21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I love mine. Find a used one. I paid $850 for mine and it was practically brand new and had an entire extra hardware set with it.

DiscoSlug

First Name
Mick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator; '74 Dodge PowerWagon
Occupation
Drugs
I bought one and ended up listing it. I think I used it regularly for 6 months.

Your mileage may vary but my experience from a functionality perspective is that the decked system for the Gladiator was poorly thought out. I use my bed for everything, and since I went to a rack with molle panels I've been much happier. I can throw my engine hoist on the rack and lift and drop it out of the truck in about 15 minutes, or you could do something similar with a cheap hoist in a garage from harbor freight.

My largest gripe with the Decked was that there is no quick way to get it in and out. You need to completely unbolt every single screw in the deck to get the back corners unbolted and lift it all out. You lose a ton of space in the sides around the wheelwells and after only 6 months one of my drawers warped from the summer heat beating down on the black plastic. It did not affect it's ability to function, it just looked terrible when fully extended. I do not doubt that it is a phenomenal system for trucks that had a more well thought out design period, but for the gladiator it really seems like it was an afterthought.

My personal suggestion is to stay away from it or try to buy one used on this forum. They are made from a pretty indestructible material so you shouldn't have any concerns about picking up even an abused one for the right price.

Berserker556

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
k5 Blazer, '21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
yeah basically you have to pick: do you want organization for lots of small-medium stuff or do you need the open space for medium to large items?
I dont typically haul mowers or furniture and stuff like that but I haul alot of smaller gear that I like to keep dry and secure and organized.

Advertisement

Advertisement