Temptations in a crazy market.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
Hey guys, so I have owned my Gladiator since March and have put 20k miles on it (alot I know). The dealer I purchased it from called me offering to buy it for what I paid for it.... Seems like a deal too good to pass up. When can you drive 20k miles in such a sweet ride and pay nothing aside from tax? I think I am going to accept and drive this older ranger until the market corrects itself then order a new one.... Am I crazy?

Jeep Gladiator Temptations in a crazy market. 20211019_132349
Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yea definitely sounds like a good enough deal if you want to get out of yours for one reason or another. New vehicle prices aren't getting to get any cheaper in the future though. Maybe the used market will cool down, but future new prices are only going to increase

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I think you're crazy. Well, not full-on crazy, but how do you know what the market is going to do?

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Well as someone that lives on a street with a new pickup truck in almost every driveway because of this situation (no joke just about every neighbor on my street traded in a 1-5 year old truck, and got insane money for it on a new truck, along with good loan terms on the new truck) part of me says go for it. The "conservative" part of me says if you are not doing it on a direct trade-in to get something right now there might be a little risk involved. You never know what prices and availability will be like on new vehicles in the future, as well as loan terms.

Sponsored

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you are crazy, fiscally. If you've got a reliable vehicle(ranger) that will meet your needs in the mean time, then go for it. I do agree with others that we aren't going to see truck prices come down anytime soon on new(except smaller trucks like the Ford Maverick).

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I think now is the time for people to keep what they have. If you can line up a purchase deal you’re satisfied with then go ahead, but any money you think you’re making on a sale will probably be given back on a new purchase. You can say buying a cheaper car will save money but that’s ALWAYS true. Our current situation isn’t a special opportunity to trade down.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Like others I guess I don’t get the point? If you were upgrading to something newer and better it would make sense. Otherwise all you’re doing is dumping your payment and paying more in the future?

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I think now is the time for people to keep what they have. If you can line up a purchase deal you’re satisfied with then go ahead, but any money you think you’re making on a sale will probably be given back on a new purchase. You can say buying a cheaper car will save money but that’s ALWAYS true. Our current situation isn’t a special opportunity to trade down.
Mostly true. Unique opportunities like mine present themselves. Make 9K selling, save $9,500 in discounts and rebates on a new car. I’m only 3K more in debt on my Gladiator than I was on my challenger and the Gladiator is 2 years newer and cost 9K more to start. For me it was the deal of the century to change vehicles.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even if it does work, it means you’re getting a deal on a truck you don’t really like and will be stuck with for a while.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
So if you sell it then what would you get? What sucks is that you’d sell for a decent price but then when you go to buy something the price is even higher.
That's the trick. He's not buying something else, he already has a second vehicle.

This is essentially the vehicle form of a hedge. He's looking to sell it now and cash out for the high value, then re-enter the market when it lowers. Nobody can really tell you if this hedge is going to work out or not, but experience has shown me that new vehicle prices never drop year-over-year. You'd have to hope the bottom drops out of the used market and re-enter there.

So the only way this makes sense is if you are taking the equity you receive back and investing it somewhere that it can make money in the meantime. If you aren't, then you aren't getting anything out of selling it other than a very temporary feeling of "I've won!".

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
My Gladiator doesn't have selec-trac or max tow. Which I really wanted. But I wasn't able to order a Nacho because I missed the order window by a few days. I had pondered getting a Gecko exactly like I wanted. So my dealer guy went ahead and ordered one and said we would see how the trade would work when it finally comes in. Since the market changes by the week. No obligation to buy. It's due in between the 29th and November 5th. We will see how it all pans out then. Just really on the fence if I even want to give up my Nacho. If I had only been a little quicker on the draw when ordering earlier in the year.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly true. Unique opportunities like mine present themselves. Make 9K selling, save $9,500 in discounts and rebates on a new car. I’m only 3K more in debt on my Gladiator than I was on my challenger and the Gladiator is 2 years newer and cost 9K more to start. For me it was the deal of the century to change vehicles.
Yes, non-negotiable factory incentives are probably the one eye in the needle that you can thread. But that’ll be very specific, case-by-case.

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
If you really want to get out of it and have a backup vehicle, sell it private party. If you have the market for it, you would actually stand to make money.

I've heard some dealerships do this, I also had the Toyota rep point blank tell me they do that too but only if you buy a new vehicle from them and it's just a rumor that gets people back in the door looking at a new vehicle.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yea and not gonna lie, I gave it some serious though back in the spring. Could have made $1-2k on my current rig, but if I was going to get a new one I would have ordered from one of the below invoice dealers, and upgraded to a Mojave with leather and what not, and still would have spent probably another $8-10k on a new one. Just not practical at this point for me. I'm keeping mine for the long haul and adding to it when appropriate. Even at 10 years old these will resell well I believe, and by then I'll be in a different tax bracket and go no compromise on an order.

Here's another idea. That ranger looks to be in great shape, and the they're fetching good money used now too. Sell it for some mod money!
Sponsored