Sponsored

Tesla Truck less than $50k

terrordbn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Freedom Edition, 2020 Jeep Granite Crystal Gladiator Launch Edition (on order)
Vehicle Showcase
https://electrek.co/2019/06/02/tesla-pickup-truck-price-f150-elon-musk/

Elon Musk:
“We don’t want it to be really expensive. I think it got to start at less than $50,000 – it’s got to be like $49,000 starting price max. Ideally less. It just can’t be unaffordable. It’s got to be something that’s affordable. There will be versions of the truck that will be more expensive, but you’ve got to be able to get a really great truck for $49,000 or less.”
Sponsored

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
I'll believe it when I see it. They may not even be in business by the time it's supposed to hit the market. Wouldn't be surprised at all if a bigger OEM buys them out.

I do think my Gladiator will be the last gas vehicle I buy, but battery tech needs to advance a lot before I'm buying an electric truck.

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
I'll believe it when I see it. They may not even be in business by the time it's supposed to hit the market. Wouldn't be surprised at all if a bigger OEM buys them out.

I do think my Gladiator will be the last gas vehicle I buy, but battery tech needs to advance a lot before I'm buying an electric truck.
What makes you think they won't be in business?

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every headline about the company.

I'm a believer, but they seem to ignore legitimate concerns from the market. No complaints about my Boring Company Not A Flamethrower though.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Elon is to busy dreaming about Mars to ensure his production line at Tesla is working properly. Also Tesla recent pluming stock prices are a clue as well.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
6238BC78-704A-4CE8-803D-3572CE06E20F.jpeg
Is it just me or does this look like a Ford Taurus sedan on tire steroids and the tonneau looking like a trunk lid? Certainly does not look like a truck to me.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Looks like a mars rover. When the kids are out of the house (20 years from now), my wife can trade in the van for one.

EDIT: Featured Image: Tesla Pickup Truck imagined by Turkey-based car designer Emre Husmen

If Musk wants it to have a ton of payload, the box has to be bigger than 2 feet, unless he means people just driving around with 2,000 lb blocks of steel in their bed.

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big oil is after Tesla. Don't believe 95% of the stuff you read. Elon sets the bar high so even if he does not meet the goals he sets for his employees he still way ahead of everyone else. All the big automakers are in big oils front pocket. It's 2019 and a Jeep still gets 14 mi to the gallon. Do you think Ford gm FCA could do better by now or is it that they're being paid by big oil?

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big oil is after Tesla. Don't believe 95% of the stuff you read. Elon sets the bar high so even if he does not meet the goals he sets for his employees he still way ahead of everyone else. All the big automakers are in big oils front pocket. It's 2019 and a Jeep still gets 14 mi to the gallon. Do you think Ford gm FCA could do better by now or is it that they're being paid by big oil?
Is that you, Elon?

Kidding aside, I have nothing but support to offer. We all saw the painfully slow rollout of the Model 3 and the delayed availability of the $35K model that was supposed to be the big seller. They haven't really proven they can make money. That's kind of important to a business. I really hope they can figure it all out and Rivian can provide some effective competition to benefit us consumers and the planet. Would love a 300+ mile range pickup and a better supercharger infrastructure.

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that you, Elon?

Kidding aside, I have nothing but support to offer. We all saw the painfully slow rollout of the Model 3 and the delayed availability of the $35K model that was supposed to be the big seller. They haven't really proven they can make money. That's kind of important to a business. I really hope they can figure it all out and Rivian can provide some effective competition to benefit us consumers and the planet. Would love a 300+ mile range pickup and a better supercharger infrastructure.
Slow rollout by who's standards? Like I was saying, Elon sets the bar high. If he didn't, could you imagine how long it would take? Why sell a 35k car if the 50-60k model is selling? Gladiator LE / fully loaded Rubicon anyone? No one's busting fca's balls. Now, compare the tech in the model 3 vs. gladiator. Like comparing a bicycle to a spaceship. As for money, why do they want to make money now? Why not put it back in the company and keep the afterburners running? I really don't think elons in it for the money. I think he just wants to help make a positive change in the world. The latter is much more fulfilling. Not really a fan of rivian yet. Just not sold on them yet. Not sure of their motive. Not really doing anything new. Bunch of Tesla wannabes. Do something new. Ground breaking. Like tesla has been doing for years. The charging network is constantly growing. Can't get the buggy ahead of the horse.

That said, can't wait to get a gladiator!! Tesla truck will probably be next...

Sponsored

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just think about this news article...

General Motors Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV disclosed to the state of Delaware earlier this year that they reached agreements to buy federal greenhouse gas credits from Tesla. While the filings are light on detail, they haven’t been reported on previously. They also represent the first acknowledgments from carmakers that they’re turning to Tesla for help to comply with intensifying U.S. environmental regulations.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whether Elon is in it for the money is irrelevant. Tesla is a publicly traded company. The board answers to shareholders. THEY care about their investment and Elon serves at their pleasure. I really do hope for nothing but success for Tesla and was sad to see the declining sales. Hopefully they can get it all sorted soon enough. If they built a bigger variant that could replace the wife's Acadia, I'd snatch one up ASAP.

I don't doubt the other OEMs are doing everything they can to fight Tesla. Murica.

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When was the original gladiator concept published? 2005?

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When was the original gladiator concept published? 2005?
Not really comparable though. That was built on the JK platform as a preview of the Wrangler. It had two doors and an inline 4 cylinder engine. Completely different vehicle. Jeep never intended to build that truck and they certainly didn't need it to boost struggling sales or help with anemic cashflow like Tesla is experiencing.

For real though do you work for Tesla or something? These are legitimate concerns.
Sponsored