Sponsored

Test Drove a 2.0L Hard Top Rubicon JL today

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I've never driven a Wrangler before and today I test drove a JL Rubicon with 2.0 Etorque engine. Here are my observations, mostly negative ones actually, but i'm kind of a pessimist.

CONS:
When driving 40-70mph i noticed what i think was buffeting. It was a similar sound to what a car or van sounds like when you crack only a rear window and you hear a slight fluttering on your eardrum. I figured there would be wind noise and when the wind was blowing hard I could definitely hear that as well, but this buffeting was slightly annoying. =(

It kinda wandered on the road a bit. Reminded me of driving a car with snow tires on dry pavement. It wasn't horrible, but noticable. Is this because of the K02 tires? I felt em when i got out, seemed pretty squishy.

The 2.0 engine was kinda loud. And just as I was thinking, man this 4 banger is kinda loud, the sales guy said, "bet you'ld never guess it was a turbo 4 cylinder in here". I chuckled. While the noise wasn't horrendous, I would certainly go with the V6. I'll have to test drive a V6 Gladiator, but I'm assuming that will be nicer.

Another note on the 2.0, when i came to a stop, I wasn't paying close attention, but when I stepped on the gas I noticed a slight hesitation, then it would kind of surge off the line. Not drastic and after driving it for a few months i'd probably just get use to it, but it was interesting.

I own a plug in hybrid Pacifica and when it switches from electric to gas, or from stop, no gas to gas motor on it is SEAMLESS, INSTANTANEOUS, AMAZING! I know the Etorque is a "mild hybrid" so eh, it is what it is, but it was just interesting.

Mirrors are kinda small, but less likely to hit trees and other stuff. I don't care that much.

Oh, and the door "stay" strap thing that keeps the door from flying open sticks straight to the right and kept poking me in the calf, lame. Probably can fix that too.

PROS:
You can see the whole hood!

Holy cow that seat heater is nice (my pacifica must be malfunctioning), the steering wheel heater is nice too.

I like the dash and how everything is "right there". Its nice sitting up "high-er" than i'm use to.

I'm only 5'7" so i'll be getting some kind of side rail, probably by RSE that retract for the JT. I had to slightly step in, and while i don't mind the workout, i'll eventually wear out the side bolster in the seat. Already doing that in my Grand Caravan.

I didn't bother looking at the back seat or trunk, just wanted to get a quick idea of what it felt like.

Don't take this the wrong way, it was fun, I still want a JT. I'll not be getting a 2.0 anyway, so the engine will probably be fine, the mirrors i'll get use to, the door stay can be "adjusted" somehow.

If others confirm the K02 just rides like that, i'll have to spend more time behind the seat of a Gladiator Rubicon to see if I like it, or if an Overland really would suit my needs as I probably won't be utilizing the Rubicon to all its glory.

That slight wind buffeting was the letdown. Anybody else notice this with their JLs? Is that just JEEP, its the way it is? Wondering if a soft top will be better or worse, or if it was just windy...... I've driven in several convertibles before, didn't notice this issue, though they weren't hard tops.
Sponsored

reedred

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geraldine
Oh, and the door "stay" strap thing that keeps the door from flying open sticks straight to the right and kept poking me in the calf, lame. Probably can fix that too.
Haha- I test drove a Wrangler a couple of years ago and that was my biggest issue. It wouldn't have mattered with an automatic, but my leg had to be right there to use the clutch.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha- I test drove a Wrangler a couple of years ago and that was my biggest issue. It wouldn't have mattered with an automatic, but my leg had to be right there to use the clutch.
lol, i'll get us to it or do somthing to adjust it. That one isn't a deal breaker.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I have both tops for the JK, IMO the soft top is not that much noiser from wind buffet. Hear more tire noise of course. The top is actually pulled pretty tight when closed.

Don't recall how much mine wandered stock but it sure likes to tramline with the big ass mickeys

I have heard the 2.0 felt really peppy, no complaints about noise though - but that is coming from current JK'rs

5'7" also which is why i have rock-sliders and front opar grab bars....

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have both tops for the JK, IMO the soft top is not that much noiser from wind buffet. Hear more tire noise of course. The top is actually pulled pretty tight when closed.

Don't recall how much mine wandered stock but it sure likes to tramline with the big ass mickeys

I have heard the 2.0 felt really peppy, no complaints about noise though - but that is coming from current JK'rs

5'7" also which is why i have rock-sliders and front opar grab bars....
The stuff I'm reading at jl forum is that jks didn't have this buffering helicopter effect. Something about the jl freedom panels causing the buffeting.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
When driving 40-70mph i noticed what i think was buffeting. It was a similar sound to what a car or van sounds like when you crack only a rear window and you hear a slight fluttering on your eardrum. I figured there would be wind noise and when the wind was blowing hard I could definitely hear that as well, but this buffeting was slightly annoying. =(

Glad you found this info on the JL forum.

It kinda wandered on the road a bit. Reminded me of driving a car with snow tires on dry pavement. It wasn't horrible, but noticable. Is this because of the K02 tires? I felt em when i got out, seemed pretty squishy.

Have you ever driven another Solid Front Axle before? I am thinking that has much more to do with it than tires, but not being there its hard to tell.

The 2.0 engine was kinda loud. And just as I was thinking, man this 4 banger is kinda loud, the sales guy said, "bet you'ld never guess it was a turbo 4 cylinder in here". I chuckled. While the noise wasn't horrendous, I would certainly go with the V6. I'll have to test drive a V6 Gladiator, but I'm assuming that will be nicer.

Although improved over past Jeeps, Jeeps just don't have the same level of sound insulation as most every other vehicle. You will hear road noise and engine more. That is part of why folks use hotheads and sound assassin stuff.

Another note on the 2.0, when i came to a stop, I wasn't paying close attention, but when I stepped on the gas I noticed a slight hesitation, then it would kind of surge off the line. Not drastic and after driving it for a few months i'd probably just get use to it, but it was interesting. Turbo lag?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I've never driven a Wrangler before and today I test drove a JL Rubicon with 2.0 Etorque engine. Here are my observations, mostly negative ones actually, but i'm kind of a pessimist.

CONS:

Another note on the 2.0, when i came to a stop, I wasn't paying close attention, but when I stepped on the gas I noticed a slight hesitation, then it would kind of surge off the line. Not drastic and after driving it for a few months i'd probably just get use to it, but it was interesting.

I own a plug in hybrid Pacifica and when it switches from electric to gas, or from stop, no gas to gas motor on it is SEAMLESS, INSTANTANEOUS, AMAZING! I know the Etorque is a "mild hybrid" so eh, it is what it is, but it was just interesting.

Mirrors are kinda small, but less likely to hit trees and other stuff. I don't care that much.

PROS:

Holy cow that seat heater is nice (my pacifica must be malfunctioning), the steering wheel heater is nice too.

I like the dash and how everything is "right there". Its nice sitting up "high-er" than i'm use to.

I'm only 5'7" so i'll be getting some kind of side rail, probably by RSE that retract for the JT. I had to slightly step in, and while i don't mind the workout, i'll eventually wear out the side bolster in the seat. Already doing that in my Grand Caravan.

I didn't bother looking at the back seat or trunk, just wanted to get a quick idea of what it felt like.

Don't take this the wrong way, it was fun, I still want a JT. I'll not be getting a 2.0 anyway, so the engine will probably be fine, the mirrors i'll get use to, the door stay can be "adjusted" somehow.

If others confirm the K02 just rides like that, i'll have to spend more time behind the seat of a Gladiator Rubicon to see if I like it, or if an Overland really would suit my needs as I probably won't be utilizing the Rubicon to all its glory.

That slight wind buffeting was the letdown. Anybody else notice this with their JLs? Is that just JEEP, its the way it is? Wondering if a soft top will be better or worse, or if it was just windy...... I've driven in several convertibles before, didn't notice this issue, though they weren't hard tops.

You forgot the part about now you will never forget that feeling. It's called 'driving Jeep'. And when you realize it drives exactly same all conditions, you will fall in love! Welcome home brudda!!!

JeepPrototype.FordGP.JumpingMidAir.jpg

2176f18f6707d6728362f1cdaac1ad11--wrangler-jeep-jeep-jk.jpg

1966-10-12-southeast-missourian-flying-jeep-cj5.png

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
JLR owner replies inline --> bold

CONS:

Wind noise is there especially on windy days and if you're in the passenger seat. I think it is a combination of how the windshield frame meets the top and the channel that runs between the windshield itself and the frame. There is no where for the wind to flow smoothly off the front of the glass. If you get the high end stereo active noise cancellation works okay. I installed Sunrider top, so when it's warm out, problem fixes itself.

Tires need to be deflated to 36psi. When you drive off the dealer lot tires at 44psi seem to grab every road imperfection. Not saying 36psi turns it into a canyon carver but makes the ride plush and steering predictable.

I've the 3.6L with 6-spd. Smooth and quiet. I deleted the factory muffler for a straight pipe so when I want it to sound like a Lotus I just push the loud pedal.

The 2.0L eTorque does a good job of making the transition from engine off to full throttle. Where I had a problem, when test driving, was the flat spot where torque and HP meet and felt like a 4 banger running out of juice. Down low or at cruise it's not an issue but all those spots in-between pushed me toward the 3.6L; those reasons and not being offered with a 6-spd...

The wires to the door window and mirror motor are encased in that so it is stiff.

PROS:

Yep

Yep

Yep

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Have you ever driven another Solid Front Axle before? I am thinking that has much more to do with it than tires, but not being there its hard to tell. I don't think i have, but even if i did, it was not for very long. My friend has a JKUR and i'm going to his place tomorrow, maybe we'll take it for a spin so i can compare.

Although improved over past Jeeps, Jeeps just don't have the same level of sound insulation as most every other vehicle. You will hear road noise and engine more. That is part of why folks use hotheads and sound assassin stuff. If the V6 is also loud then so be it. It wasn't horrible, and I know its part of the appeal to hear the noise. I just didn't dig the 4 banger I think.

Another note on the 2.0, when i came to a stop, I wasn't paying close attention, but when I stepped on the gas I noticed a slight hesitation, then it would kind of surge off the line. Not drastic and after driving it for a few months i'd probably just get use to it, but it was interesting. Turbo lag? I've driven a few turbo cars before, Ford Probe Turbo, I've owned 2 TDIs, and it wasn't lag I was noticing. It was like, no movement-and we're off. Isn't the eTorque just 40volt? My plug in is like 200-400 volt?
I'll do some research on the JL buffeting and drive a few more jeeps and Gladiators when they come out to figure out what I like best. Also need to get into the 60s in Wisconsin, so I can experience the top down!

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I'll do some research on the JL buffeting and drive a few more jeeps and Gladiators when they come out to figure out what I like best. Also need to get into the 60s in Wisconsin, so I can experience the top down!
report back when you do. I want to hear the negatives to. Otherwise I will be a kid in a candy shop and not notice but you better believe my wife will spend the next 10 years saying "you didn't notice that on the test drive? I did"

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
report back when you do. I want to hear the negatives to. Otherwise I will be a kid in a candy shop and not notice but you better believe my wife will spend the next 10 years saying "you didn't notice that on the test drive? I did"
Well hopefully I have the positives too.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My JL's hard top doesn't buffet much on the highway. But on rough gravel roads it does. It drives my wife crazy.

Once I put the Sunrider for hardtop on in place of the freedom panels it got better.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
I've never driven a Wrangler before
I was not aware of that... I’m not judging you, I’m only sad and sorry for you! :crying:

But your future is promising... I’m seeing your dream Gladiator on the horizon!!! :fingerscrossed:

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
When driving 40-70mph i noticed what i think was buffeting. It was a similar sound to what a car or van sounds like when you crack only a rear window and you hear a slight fluttering on your eardrum
It’s funny... everything is always relative to the situation...

My spouse can’t support that fluttering at certain speed when our Jetta TDI sunroof is opened, but she never complains about all the sounds of our Wrangler... A Jeep is a Jeep... the Jeep noise is part of the Jeep experience!!! :LOL:
Sponsored