Sponsored

Test drove a new Jeep Wrangler

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I'm planning on getting a new Jeep Wrangler soon and wanted to take one for a test drive. Went to the dealer last weekend and took a Sport Altitude out for a drive with the 2.0L turbo engine and automatic trans. My background is driving mostly muscle cars and trucks (Challengers, Chargers, Ram, S-10, Ranger, etc).

First impression getting into the seat was, wow! I feel like I'm in a little tank! Very cool feel inside. I like the short dash, abrupt windshield, flat hood, and square boxy feel of the inside.

Started it up and took off down the road. Immediately noticed much looser steering feel and much wind noise coming from around the windshield driver door area. I was sort of expecting this though based on what I read on here and other sites. I realize a Jeep Wrangler will not handle/steer like a Challenger Scat Pack. I had to correct the steering more often than in my car to keep it centered which was annoying at first, but within 5 minutes of driving and talking to the sales lady, I didn't even notice it anymore.

The ride was much smoother than I anticipated. I was expecting a very rough and bumpy ride based on how my sister in law's 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door felt, but apparently they have come a long way since then. The ride was very nice in my opinion for something that is a true 4x4 vehicle.

The cab seemed to have a lot of room, plenty of room in the back seat for my kids and plenty of room in the cargo area for luggage going on trips or carting the dog around.

The model I drove had the hard top and headliner, which is what I want to order. It cut down on the whiteness of the interior from the hardtop to an extent and I'm sure it dampens road noise and retains heat/cool air better as well.

Overall I enjoyed the vehicle. I could see myself driving one. I don't think they are as easy to drive as my Challenger or say a Grand Cherokee, but those are more refined cars and Wranglers are supposed to be more rugged. That would be like me expecting my Scat Pack to get 35mpg, it's just not going to happen, it's a muscle car with a big V8, what do you expect? Haha!

I started out wanting a Rubicon because they look so cool, but then went into sticker shock. I started to like the Sport Altitude, but then decided that in person I didn't care for the look of the gloss black wheels. My current favorite is now the Sport S with the silver wheels, hardtop, headliner, and technology package. That's likely what I'll end up ordering. I'm thinking Bright White for the color, even though orange looks really cool.

We have lease deals through work (FCA) where we can lease them for just one year with unlimited miles, so I'm going to try one out and see what it's like. I've always thought Jeep Wranglers were cool looking, and now I have a chance to lease one for a pretty good deal, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Anyway that's my impression. Please feel free to share any input/comments/experiences you had/have with your Jeep as I'd like to hear some more before I order one.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
Go for a manual. Limited window of opportunity to get one and you won't regret it. It's how a Jeep was meant to be driven
That would be fun, but we can't order manuals from the lease pool at work, can only order automatics.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Aftermarket hardtop headliner is higher quality and less expensive right now because of Black Friday special. Check out @Hothead Headliners.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aftermarket hardtop headliner is higher quality and less expensive right now because of Black Friday special. Check out @Hothead Headliners.
I've heard good things about those headliners, but this will be a 1 year lease, so I'm just going to go with whatever I can get factory ordered, etc.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Went to the dealer last weekend and took a Sport Altitude out for a drive

The ride was much smoother than I anticipated. I was expecting a very rough and bumpy ride based on how my sister in law's 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door felt, but apparently they have come a long way since then.
Isn’t the Altitude only available on a 4-door?

The short wheelbase of a 2-door makes for a much bumpier ride than the longer 4-door models.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
...The ride was much smoother than I anticipated. I was expecting a very rough and bumpy ride based on how my sister in law's 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door felt, but apparently they have come a long way since then. The ride was very nice in my opinion for something that is a true 4x4 vehicle.
Apparently death-wobble didn't make an appearance. You want the full Jeep Experience.;)

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
That sounds pretty similar to my test drive impressions.

Steering was awkward at first, but you think about it less the longer you are behind the wheel.

Smoother than expected over bumps.

Personally, I was expecting the wind noise to be even worse than it actually was, but my expectations there were very low.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isn’t the Altitude only available on a 4-door?

The short wheelbase of a 2-door makes for a much bumpier ride than the longer 4-door models.
Yes. I was referring to my sister in law's Jeep being the 2 door. That's a good point, the 4 door has a longer wheelbase, smoother ride, etc.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently death-wobble didn't make an appearance. You want the full Jeep Experience.;)
I've heard about that. What is that exactly?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase