First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra, future Gladiator
Occupation
Systems Engineer
What am I missing here......if my gladiator moved like that Ram did....i would be really happy. The engine feels way stronger and smoother. Why wouldn't they do the same for JL and JT. The Ram didn't sound like the engine was going to fly out of the hood either.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was the weight similar?

4wd?

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
What am I missing here......if my gladiator moved like that Ram did....i would be really happy. The engine feels way stronger and smoother. Why wouldn't they do the same for JL and JT. The Ram didn't sound like the engine was going to fly out of the hood either.
What are the advertised power #s compared to the Jeep?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
What are the advertised power #s compared to the Jeep?
305hp and 269 lbft. Besides the slightly higher ratings I'm imagining it was on like 30 inch p metric tires. It may have actually been the etorque giving you a little more off the line because the ram is actually slower than a gladiator with the V6 0-60 by about half a second.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Isn't that engine a hybrid? Though the V6 puts out 305 hp and 269 lb of torque.

Sponsored

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I don't have any experience with the Ram, but what gears did it have? What configuration? 2WD?

Also, have you tried a throttle controller on your Gladiator? That could easily make up the difference you are noticing.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The tune for the Ram makes +20hp over the JT.
Its supposedly like that due to cooling restrictions in the Jeep.

Kevin

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
I've had a few other vehicles with the 3.6, including a Dodge Challenger, a Chrysler 300, and a couple Grand Cherokees, plus a long term Durango rental.
I always felt the 3.6 performed stronger in every one of those than in the Gladiator or Wrangler. It's acceptable, just not as satisfactory as in the others.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Making HP means burning fuel and disposing of the heat of combustion that doesn't result in moving the vehicle. Want HP you need to account for heat removal. Jeep had trouble getting to their towing and payload specs as it was. Like Kevin said - I suspect some of this is due to heat - cooling system. And compare weights, gear ratios, etc.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
NVH will be better in the Ram, which can add to the perception. It's a full sized pickup in a much more competitive category that values quietness much more than the Wrangler buyer does. Fiberglass tops alone won't allow as much control of NVH as a Ram's steel cab will, for example. You are also further away from the engine in the Ram, and the ram has much more room under the hood. It probably has significantly more insulation, too.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
NVH will be better in the Ram, which can add to the perception. It's a full sized pickup in a much more competitive category that values quietness much more than the Wrangler buyer does. Fiberglass tops alone won't allow as much control of NVH as a Ram's steel cab will, for example. You are also further away from the engine in the Ram, and the ram has much more room under the hood. It probably has significantly more insulation, too.
Oh, yeah - my Silverado had a nice solid thick insulated cab. It could be storming bad outside and you didn't hear it much inside. But that thick double-walled insulated cab with thick insulated doors also meant - WIDE. I bet the doors were at least twice as thick than the JT doors (and at least three times as heavy)

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I've had a few other vehicles with the 3.6, including a Dodge Challenger, a Chrysler 300, and a couple Grand Cherokees, plus a long term Durango rental.
I always felt the 3.6 performed stronger in every one of those than in the Gladiator or Wrangler. It's acceptable, just not as satisfactory as in the others.
I will concur on the Dodge Challenger, and Chrysler 300. Rented a few of these and they seemed much stronger than the Gladiator.

Average-Joe

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport Altitude
Occupation
Manager
I traded in a 2019 Ram DT Quad Cab 3.6l with 3:55 gears. It had the same 850RE transmission but also had a dedicated tow/haul mode. I loved that truck but my non max tow gladiator tows just as well with 3:73’s. Not disappointed with my gladiator at alll.

Average-Joe

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport Altitude
Occupation
Manager
The Ram pentastar comes with mandatory e-torque. 305hp and 269lb ft of torque. I couldn’t tell the difference when I got my JT with 285hp and 260lb ft
Sponsored