Test drove the Gladiator in the San Diego Market

sandbaja

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
The dealer in Mission Valley had 4 ( red and black-Overland and Rubicon) on the lot and I went to just look but was offered a test drive. They sold a white one yesterday. The Gladiators look better in person IMO. As far as driving characteristics I would call it very similar to my JKU Rubicon ( I drove the Rubicon Glad), just a bit smoother in the rear. I thought the view out the back was much better. It was fully loaded and quite handsome. The 8.4" display is very nice and sharp. For the units on the lot they are MSRP and up. If you want affiliate pricing you would need to order. It's a lot of money. It's a lot of vehicle. I'll need to chew on this for a while.
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer in Mission Valley had 4 ( red and black-Overland and Rubicon) on the lot and I went to just look but was offered a test drive. They sold a white one yesterday. The Gladiators look better in person IMO. As far as driving characteristics I would call it very similar to my JKU Rubicon ( I drove the Rubicon Glad), just a bit smoother in the rear. I thought the view out the back was much better. It was fully loaded and quite handsome. The 8.4" display is very nice and sharp. For the units on the lot they are MSRP and up. If you want affiliate pricing you would need to order. It's a lot of money. It's a lot of vehicle. I'll need to chew on this for a while.
Great write up!

I believe the naysayers are folks that have not looked up close or even driven the JT. While our Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel was getting its settlement flash service they gave us a Ram 1500 crew cab Hemi for a loaner. The Ram 1500 is limo quiet, light on its feet and very comfortable. That said, it is also a beast. It’s really big compared to the JT we have driven.

So, for those on the fence go take one for a spin, then get in a 1500 crew cab. For us, after taking the loaner back, it made my wife and I even more anxious waiting for the LE we ordered.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
I'm in San Diego for work and will be stopping by there tomorrow.

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Unfortunately, the affiliate pricing is not available for the Gladiator at the moment. I tried with no cigar. Unless the dealer is going to honor it anyway.

OP
OP

sandbaja

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Great write up!

I believe the naysayers are folks that have not looked up close or even driven the JTnts i. While our Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel was getting its settlement flash service they gave us a Ram 1500 crew cab Hemi for a loaner. The Ram 1500 is limo quiet, light on its feet and very comfortable. That said, it is also a beast. It’s really big compared to the JT we have driven.

So, for those on the fence go take one for a spin, then get in a 1500 crew cab. For us, after taking the loaner back, it made my wife and I even more anxious waiting for the LE we ordered.
Those are some of the questions I am pondering. I'm close to retirement and that is a factor.
1. Do I still want the ride of a Jeep vs the ride of a Ram truck, like the 1500, as I drive back and forth from Mx. The best roads in Mx are about as good as the worst roads in US.
2. Do I really want a 1500 with a hemi and the MPG's. Love Hemis, had one in a Commander.
3. I've enjoyed the compliments I've received in my Rubicon. I don't think the Ram carries the same persona and am worried I'll just be another guy in a pickup ( I know, I shouldn't care but it is one of those intangibles...)
4. If I get in the stuff after weather (roads wash out every year) which has a higher probability to get me home.
5. Dollar for dollar the Ram is better...today, because this is a sellers market. Smart money says to hold a bit.
6. Do I really need all the extras? I sure as heck like what I have now. Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Yes
7. Pentastar Vs Hemi Vs Diesel
8. Stick Vs Auto ( loved a stick but the Auto is highly recommended and some of the features like 4.10 gearing requires auto. I think 4.10 isn't enough for 35's (it's not in the Auto with 5 speed JKU). 33's with 4.10 seem about right in the Gladiator. Will 35's make it slushey?

I suspect some of you have similar thoughts and questions.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sandbaja

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Unfortunately, the affiliate pricing is not available for the Gladiator at the moment. I tried with no cigar. Unless the dealer is going to honor it anyway.
Personally, I would not pay MSRP and it's not a factor of being unable to afford. That extra money can go to better uses. You should wait, as I'm positive the deals will be available once manufacturing catches up. There are A LOT of dealers in the SoCal area and none are too far for you. I was certain the manager was going to flat out say no and was surprised when he said if I ordered I could get affiliate. I really want affiliate plus a few points on any vehicle I buy.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I’m in L.A. and already ordered a week ago with Kent at Petersen in Nampa, ID.

Getting it 7% under invoice and $299 doc fee is worth the hassle. Plus I get a nice mini vacation driving it home.

I’m not going to waste my time screwing around with SoCal dealers and their MSRP+++ b.s. and games.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator

Getting it 7% under invoice and $299 doc fee is worth the hassle. Plus I get a nice mini vacation driving it home.

I’m not going to waste my time screwing around with SoCal dealers and their MSRP+++ b.s. and games.
Agreed. Fortunately for me, through some unfortunate incidents involving FCA, my local dealer was able to give me 1% above invoice. Not a whole lot of savings compare to your 7% below. but beat paying MSRP or above...

Sponsored

OP
OP

sandbaja

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU

How much do you estimate the licensing and taxes will hit you for, when you register in CA? It sounds like you made a smart move.

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Those are some of the questions I am pondering. I'm close to retirement and that is a factor.
How much plywood do you forsee hauling in retirement? The JT has a sweet setup that the ram doesn't.... :LOL:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
More than one and less than 100.
99 could be a pain in the butt without the mid tailgate setup, i would go with a Gladiator for sure then! Well worth the investment, besides, Wrangler resale value is off the hook, hopefully JT will be too.
Sponsored