Sponsored

TFL: Can the New 2020 Jeep Gladiator Tow a Trailer With The Best Of Them? Highway MPG Review

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Best line:
“This vehicle has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick”

:giggle:

@TommyTFL what is the two click method for pumping gas? Was that a joke? Maybe I skip that part usually and I’ve missed the explanation in other videos. I’ve always stopped at the first click, period...

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah its like pump, it clicks off, wait a minute, pump again, clicks off, then note the gallons taken. I think.
But that means you’re overfilling it - no?
Always stop at the first click!
I’m intrigued by this two click method... a two second google search did not yield much.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
But that means you’re overfilling it - no?
Always stop at the first click!
I’m intrigued by this two click method... a two second google search did not yield much.
i do that too, max flow, after first click, put it on slow speed to top it up.

Hyper milers will top it up until they can see the gasoline in the neck to be accurate tank to tank. I know that's not a thing here.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
i wouldn't call it overfilling. I think the fuel pump shuts it off quicker when its going at full speed. Then when you wait a minute, it lets everything settle.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i wouldn't call it overfilling. I think the fuel pump shuts it off quicker when its going at full speed. Then when you wait a minute, it lets everything settle.
OooOooh...

So on my 2014 Ford Transit Connect, if I let one teaspoon more gas go in after the first click, the cabin fills with the gas fumes. No idea why, but ford issued a statement about it. Always stop at the first click...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OooOooh...

So on my 2014 Ford Transit Connect, if I let one teaspoon more gas go in after the first click, the cabin fills with the gas fumes. No idea why, but ford issued a statement about it. Always stop at the first click...
WOAH! no bueno.

On my 2001 Jetta tdi there was a mod to take out the fuel tank breather (required for gas engine, not so much for diesel so the community said) and by doing that you could get an extra like 1.4 Gallons into the system. Those guys would fill up their Jettas with like 16 or 18 gallons and drive for 800 miles, lmao.

They called it a vent-ectomy. lol

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOAH! no bueno.

On my 2001 Jetta tdi there was a mod to take out the fuel tank breather (required for gas engine, not so much for diesel so the community said) and by doing that you could get an extra like 1.4 Gallons into the system. Those guys would fill up their Jettas with like 16 or 18 gallons and drive for 800 miles, lmao.
Oh wow lol

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i lied, "This lets you add about 2 extra gallons of fuel" https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/fuel-vent-diy-for-mk4-vw-jetta-new-beetle-golf-and-passat-tdi/

anyways........i need to watch this TFL video, but again, i wanna know what these things do when they have 5000 miles on the motor, hopefully goes up by then.
I get that it doesn’t need a long break in period, but it still needs a break in period, and after it I’m sure the mpg will be slightly better.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get that it doesn’t need a long break in period, but it still needs a break in period, and after it I’m sure the mpg will be slightly better.
i posted in another thread, but the owners manual says "ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications” in this manual."

This is the same as my hybrid van with 3.6L pentastar.

So even if it doesn't require a long break in, i'm wondering if a 4000 mile break in makes the MPG come up.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm curious about that 8.5 mpg. I saw they were doing 70+ on the highway. I drive a JKU and know that dropping to 65 mph significantly improves my mileage. When towing, again, hanging out at or below 65 improves all of that. (I hate to hear that engine screaming at high RPMs.) I wonder if, on flat land and doing 65 with 6k lbs will net better results.