Sponsored

The 3.0 is actually $2,572 more than a 3.6...right???

snoshoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
I have read many posts saying that the diesel is $4k more than an auto gasser...

Spending hours attempting to justify the additional cost for the diesel has me thinking the following:
I will most likely order my JT Sport (Willys?) from one of the sponsor dealers offering 8% under invoice.
This means 8% below invoice ($3,600) for the diesel is $3,312.
The diesel comes with the limited slip rear end standard.
With no Max Tow ($1,120 invoice) the "basic" tow package ($316 invoice) is all you need.
This comes to about a $740 "savings" over the gasser with Max Tow at 8% below invoice.
So, $3,312 minus $740 is actually $2,572.

If my screwed up, self-serving logic is correct, the diesel with tow package will cost me "only" $2,572 more than a Max Tow gasser.

I hope my math is right, 'cause that sounds like a bargain for all that torque and improved mileage/range!
Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The diesel will probably pull 35’s without missing a beat, probably even 37’s. That means you could keep 2grand for a regear.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have read many posts saying that the diesel is $4k more than an auto gasser...

Spending hours attempting to justify the additional cost for the diesel has me thinking the following:
I will most likely order my JT Sport (Willys?) from one of the sponsor dealers offering 8% under invoice.
This means 8% below invoice ($3,600) for the diesel is $3,312.
The diesel comes with the limited slip rear end standard.
With no Max Tow ($1,120 invoice) the "basic" tow package ($316 invoice) is all you need.
This comes to about a $740 "savings" over the gasser with Max Tow at 8% below invoice.
So, $3,312 minus $740 is actually $2,572.

If my screwed up, self-serving logic is correct, the diesel with tow package will cost me "only" $2,572 more than a Max Tow gasser.

I hope my math is right, 'cause that sounds like a bargain for all that torque and improved mileage/range!
What are your towing needs? If you don't need the Max Tow capacity, then comparing it to a Diesel with the regular Tow package is just manipulating the numbers to make justification easier to sell. If you want the diesel, then order it. Just keep in mind that diesel costs more up front and costs more to maintain, in exchange for more power with longer life and better fuel efficiency. Consider how long you plan to keep it, and then do what will make you happy.

OP
OP
snoshoe

snoshoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
Yeah man, just having a little fun with the calculator, that's all.

Since the Max Tow doesn't seem to be available with the diesel and my tow requirements are in the 4,ooo-4,500 pound range, I felt the diesel would tow that 4.5k better than a 3.6 max tow.
Dunno - haven't driven one yet and all other operating costs and concerns aside, I just want the torque and some 35s.

My 2017 JKU is modified with lift, gears, locker, etc.
I want a "stock-ish" JT on 35s. No drivetrain mods this time.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R

Since the Max Tow doesn't seem to be available with the diesel and my tow requirements are in the 4,ooo-4,500 pound range, I felt the diesel would tow that 4.5k better than a 3.6 max tow.
Dunno - haven't driven one yet and all other operating costs and concerns aside, I just want the torque and some 35s.

Then the diesel should be a great option.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

This towing test from TFL may offer some insight to the 3.0 diesel. Its a Wrangler 3.0 vrs JTR (4.10 w/axles).

OP
OP
snoshoe

snoshoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
Irtexasman,

Thanks, yeah, I saw that video.
Either a gas or diesel would suit my needs as far as towing is concerned.
That said, it seems clear that the same 4,000 # trailer will tow "better" behind a 3.0.

I have the 3.6 in my '17 JKUS. With 35s and a manual, the added 4.56s work very well.
It has been trouble free and fun to drive even if it is a little low on torque.

I want (not need) something a little different in a JT.
If Jeep won't/can't offer a 5.7 Hemi from the factory, the 3.0's torque will do!

Since it is a want and not a need, the $2,572 I posted makes it a little easier to justify!

Steve

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
After towing with both and living with both engines...

Will the EcoDiesel tow better than the Pentastar? Absolutely.

Will you save money now, tomorrow, or 5 years from now with the EcoDiesel? Absolutely not.

If you decide to go diesel, make sure you establish a good relationship with a local service department. Keep great service records. Change the oil and filters (fuel and oil and air) often. Don't expect an engine that drives sporty and quick. Just know what you're going into ahead of time and you'll enjoy it.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Thanks WXman. Having experience with the JT and Ram Eco, would you prefer a gladiator Sport S with diesel over a Rubicon or Mojave gas with cost being about the same? Towing nothing over 4k and using 50% around town and 50% long highway drives (600+ miles round trip).

OP
OP
snoshoe

snoshoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
WXman,

Thanks, that is good advice about the local service contact.

I have owned two turbo diesels prior and loved them both.
If I order a 3.0 JT, the decision will not be based on "value"...

Interested in your answer to Irtexasman's question, too!

Appreciate the input - thanks.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thanks WXman. Having experience with the JT and Ram Eco, would you prefer a gladiator Sport S with diesel over a Rubicon or Mojave gas with cost being about the same? Towing nothing over 4k and using 50% around town and 50% long highway drives (600+ miles round trip).
I had a Gladiator Sport S Max Tow and obviously now a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. The curb weights, payload, etc. are pretty darn similar between trucks. If I was ordering a truck again today, my choice would be a Gladiator Mojave with the Pentastar gas V6. I have gotten to the point where I'd take the higher trim level and just figure out a way to beef up the payload for my needs. And the Jeep is just a lot more enjoyable to own.

Reason for the gas V6 for me: More dependable, less expensive to maintain, easier to find fuel, less headaches, and more fun. With the diesel, it's a constant worry. You never know when a regen cycle is going to begin, have to keep an eye on DEF levels, have to let the turbo cool down before shutting the engine off, service intervals are EXPENSIVE, repairs out of warranty would wipe out your 401k, throttle response is horrendous, etc. etc. The diesel is a work horse, but you make a lot of sacrifices to own and drive it. The Pentastar gas V6 is the opposite. Very snappy, quick, fun, simple, easy as pie to maintain, cheap as dirt to maintain, dependable, proven, etc. It feels more athletic in spirited driving. It's fun to drive, whereas the diesel is a mental chore.

The diesel has significantly more torque, yes. But the P-star has more horsepower and weighs 400 lbs. less.

WXman,

Thanks, that is good advice about the local service contact.

I have owned two turbo diesels prior and loved them both.
If I order a 3.0 JT, the decision will not be based on "value"...

Interested in your answer to Irtexasman's question, too!

Appreciate the input - thanks.
Yep for example my 2020 EcoDiesel has been in the shop for two weeks and I have no ETA on getting it back. It's already let me down and p***** me off. But, when it developed the issue I did not take it back to the selling dealer. I took it to my prefered dealer in another city because I trust them. They took the truck in and have been very responsive so far about steps they're taking to fix it. Hopefully I'll get it back soon. But having that good relationship with the service department is critical with the diesel, because there's a high likelihood that you'll need it.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Thanks. My line of reasoning has followed the same process I’m leaning towards getting a Mojave at this point. May wait to test drive the eco but if if I come across a good deal....

OP
OP
snoshoe

snoshoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
Super helpful.

When it comes to Jeeps, I have an attention deficit disorder.
I absolutely love my 2017 JKUS; 3.6, 6-speed manual, 35s and 4.56s - great fun.
As much as I would like a bed for yard, camping and mountain biking junk, the JK does everything I NEED a vehicle to do. I just can't help myself always wanting a new Jeep!

Your assessment of the gas vs diesel seems to be spot on as far as I am concerned.

As much as my original post was simply meant to start a conversation, I think the $2,572 PLUS the other costs and potential reliability issues makes it a no go for me. Especially since my only real reason for a 3.0 was the torque/driving dynamics. I will most likely purchase a "retirement" vehicle in 5 or 6 years anyway. That means no chance this JT will see anywhere near 100k miles before I trade it in. The 3.6 in my JK seems very reliable....I take very good care of my vehicles, so longevity should not be an issue.

All good conversation, thx!
Sponsored