Sponsored

The art of choosing your tire size.................

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
We all read the tire size threads...Bigger is better, 37's are the new 33/35's, 35's look too small, etc. Without getting into a battle, Im very interested to know people's individual thoughts on how they came to decide on tire size. Did warranty come into play? Daily driver? The extra expense of going larger (re-gear)? You like the look of a smaller or larger tire...
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
As a manual driver, 35s on 4.10s has been marginally acceptable, but it does feel like going larger without a regear would be ill advised. I was part of the kenda $80.44 35s club, so my original plan was 35s until they wear out, then 37s. Having driven on 35s... I will not go up a size unless I'm willing to commit to regearing (and aev2" with geo correction and trackbars)

I know people who swear 35s on 3.73s is fine, and 37s on 4.10s is fine... but I dunno man.

Last edited:

SuperBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTR
I have 37s on 4.10s with a 4.5ā€ lift as a daily driver with hills. The rubicon wheel wells along with my lift really swallow tires and it just looks like it should with 37s imo. The bonus is that with an empty bed as a daily driver Iā€™m pushing 19mpg even with 37 M/Ts and since I dialed in the caster along with properly balanced tires, it drives better than stock. I do not feel like a Regear is warranted for me, even with the daily hills and wheeling (mostly rock crawling) we do.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Bought the Mojave @1650 miles with really no clue that it had the 2" AEV already installed on it with the factory 33s.
After getting some steering and handling issues corrected, and learning a ton here, I opted to go to the BFG K02'S in 35x12.5.

The decision included
Weight of the tires
Better fill of the wheel well
Comments here about ride quality and handling
BFG brand reputation

The truck has only one real trail day since it was purchased, and that was well before the tire changes and some other things I've done.

For the most part it's our weekend fun truck, especially when the weather supports nakedness (for the truck you weirdo).
I've got at least one Fall trail planned but it's not a badge thing. Still will be interesting to see how it compares to the Falkens.

37s are just more than I need.
Took about a 1 mpg hit on these.

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Bought the Mojave @1650 miles with really no clue that it had the 2" AEV already installed on it with the factory 33s.
After getting some steering and handling issues corrected, and learning a ton here, I opted to go to the BFG K02'S in 35x12.5.

The decision included
Weight of the tires
Better fill of the wheel well
Comments here about ride quality and handling
BFG brand reputation

The truck has only one real trail day since it was purchased, and that was well before the tire changes and some other things I've done.

For the most part it's our weekend fun truck, especially when the weather supports nakedness (for the truck you weirdo).
I've got at least one Fall trail planned but it's not a badge thing. Still will be interesting to see how it compares to the Falkens.

37s are just more than I need.
Took about a 1 mpg hit on these.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the BFG K02'S in 35x12.5 on my 20 Rubi with no lift. No need to reset the shift points and it got 17 mpg plus on a recent vacation.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
35s with 4.10s auto for me, for my usage, I tow a couple boats around 3k lbs and daily drive it 35s are pretty good compromise of performance and looks.

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
So far with KM3s 315/70/17 (34.5"), MetalCloak 3.5" lift and stock 4.10s I'm totally happy with the overall - crawling, highway (noisier but OK), gas mileage. No need for the way more popular but heavier 37s which is mainly for looks unless you ALSO regear to 4.88 or 5.13 for my use. We have steep loose rocky rutty trails to climb around here. When my 35s wear out then I'll spring for the re-gear and 37s for a bit more clearance.

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
My previous jeep was a JKUR, 3.5ā€ lift and 35ā€™s. I wheeled it stock and then did all my work.
I got my JTR and went straight to the trails. I found out where I was hitting and made a plan. 3.5ā€ lift and 37ā€™s. Now I enjoy where I wheel and drive my vehicle. Do I want 40ā€™s , sure, but no real atā€™s in that sizeā€¦ plus 37ā€™s are enough for me atm.

Honestly, I wish more people who buy their vehicle take it out and see what itā€™s capable of where they want to wheel. I know most people donā€™t have this luxury but you can see itā€™s strengths and weaknessesā€¦ then you can plan accordingly!

PaJeeper

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator sport s non max tow
Occupation
Steel worker
37ā€™s purely for smiles. My last Jeep was a JK on 37ā€ mud grapplerā€™s. Thought they looked perfectly proportioned. I think my daughter still harborā€™s some animosity from me selling it. So I let her and my wife help me decide what all was going to be done to the JT. They were given the option of 35ā€ or 37ā€ instantly and simultaneously I heard 37ā€. Done deal. I did it for the smiles, theyā€™re only young once

CA1E0D69-EEFF-415D-AD1B-ECF9B745D862.jpeg

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Iā€™ve got a Max Tow so my stock tires were even smaller than a regular Sport. I knew before I got it that it wasnā€™t going to work, but I planned an upgrade path. Within a couple months Iā€™d added Mojave 33ā€ take-off wheels/tires, Rubi front spring, and Teraflex 1.5ā€ spacers. I would keep those to see if they would be good enough and then upgrade if necessary once the tires wore out.

After having them for about 25k miles, Iā€™d decided I wanted something a bit more. So at about the 15-month mark, I put on a real 3.5ā€ coil lift. This made the 33ā€ tires look smaller, but not unbearably so.

Iā€™m now about 6 months into having the lift and Iā€™ve got about 30k miles on the tires, but two of them are prematurely worn so I plan to upgrade before the end of the year to 35s. Specifically, Ridge Grappler 35x11.50r17 from Discount Tire. This way, I can keep the existing wheels, Iā€™ll have minimal (if any) tire poke, and I should be able to clear the big-ass 2.5ā€ reservoir shocks that came with the lift. The tires have an ā€œEā€ load rating, but Iā€™m ok with that. My build is more overland than rock crawler, anyway.

Who knows. Maybe when the 35s wear out, Iā€™ll move up to 37s, but that would probably involve a regear. Baby stepsā€¦

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
My choice to stay in the 33 club is logistics. That is other than US tires over that size are hard to get. 285/70r17 are available in other countries. And those are a maybe. Besides when I was young 33s were the tires to get. But sure as not, that price differences do climb steeply at 33s and up. Lockers and 33s will get you anywhere you need to go.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Depends on how you use the JT. To me...37-38 is the perfect balance of DD and wheeling/rock crawling. I had 33s, I have 35s..... but I wheel a few times a month.

As for a Regear......ask @Frank as we are both on 35s and he has 4.10 and I have 4.88 my JT is pigged out with off road gear....he will tell you about not being able to keep up from Buena Vista to Telluride. People debate this, but he can give you a real world comparison.
Sponsored