Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Rubicon JKU, 2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Blue Babe...appropriately named after Paul Bunyan's Ox.

I consider myself to be. a"rocklander." My wife and I take months long trips mainly off the beaten path, however I just can't seem to pass up the opportunity to crawl over things.

I've been a die hard JKU driver for years (I still have my 2013 Hemi swapped Rubicon w/106k miles on it) so when the Gladiator 1st came out I took one look at it and said "pass." Watching builds progress on Youtube and watching people try and wheel them in places like Moab pretty much reinforced my attitude.

That was all well and good until my wife decided it was time to upgrade our off-road teardrop to a bigger version with a weight that was well over the JK's 3500 towing limit. Suddenly I was looking at Gladiators with a different view.

Flash forward a year. I settled on a Mojave because I wanted the reinforced frame and liked the trim level better than the Rubicon. Knowing I was going to drop a Hemi in it, replace axles etc it really came down to the frame and trim....and the hood. A Mojave definitely has the better hood ;)

I found what I wanted already built and ready to ship this time last year and took delivery in Jan 2022. Lots to catch up in this thread. Some brilliant moves and some real disasters....

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_9934
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Planning ahead and getting the easy stuff done

As soon as I finalized BB's order I started ordering parts...especially given how long the lead time was going to be. I knew up front that I wanted to do the Hemi swap but knew that would be later in the year. My plan was to go ahead and get the lift, axles and wheels done during the winter and spend some time getting used to how BB drove offroad.

Obligatory pics from the dealership pickup and parked next to my 2013 JKU sitting on a 4.5" lift and 38's.

First pass on parts:
KMC 229 Machete Beadlocks (with rings powder coated to match the Mojave trim)
37" BFG's: Not my forever wheel but the best I could do while waiting on the lift and axle's to get done
Quake Fender Chop and DRL Lights (amazing how much space this gives you in the wheel well.
Molle storage solutions from 813 Fabrication
Onboard Air. Originally I thought this was the setup we'd use for air lockers but it didn't turn out that way. Still great positioning for airing up after wheeling though.

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_5955

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_5971

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_5981

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_5988

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_5997

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_6010

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_6197

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_6205

Last edited:
OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Awaiting parts...

I spent most of the later part of Feb and March stock pilling parts again. Lot's of frustration with parts I'd ordered in early Dec for delivering within 6 weeks were starting to extend well into 3 months (with one major exception that well into 9 months of delays before I cancelled it and went another direction). Targeting an April trip to Big Bend NP I'm starting to get a bit antsy about getting everything in the 1st phase done in time.

With the "easy" stuff out of the way I started on my least favorite part of any build - wiring. I swore I'd do it right the 1st time with this build (I've redone my JK at least three times in 10 years).

Parts list for this iteration:

Switch Pro's under the hood. I've used sPod in the past but really appreciates how clean the install would be given the upcoming Hemi Swap

Diamondback Tonneau cover. I love this thing and the fact that it will hold something like 900lbs on the deck. I especially like that I can add or subtract rails based on the load I'm carrying

RSE Step sliders. I had a set of these on my JK but without the steel reinforcement over them. Learned my lesson the hard/expensive way when I destroyed them during trips to the Rubicon and Moab. Unfortunately I got caught up in parts issues on this one when they sent me a set of Gen 1 armor plates instead of Gen 2. I do like how the Gen 2 version of the step sliders bends to fir the contour of the jeep behind the passenger door

Front & Rear bumpers. I really wanted a light-weight (aluminum) front bumper and steel in the rear. I've got a Genright aluminum front bumper on my JK and love it. Unfortunately I couldn't get anything from Genright other than "8 weeks or so on manufacturing, then shipping." I went with the Rebel Summit bumper and am just as happy that I did. Rear bumper is also Rebel's summit bumper. I had to do a bit of trimming to get the rear on but once done it was easy.

My one nit with the entire build? I hate that I lose 5" clearance because the rear trailer hitch drops so low. Something to fix later this year.

Last picture in this series is BB sitting on a stock suspension and 37" BFG's next to my JKU on 4.5" of lift on 38" Patagonia's

IMG_6279.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg

IMG_6296.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

IMG_6817.jpeg

IMG_6819.jpeg

IMG_6821.jpeg

IMG_6827.jpeg

IMG_6829.jpeg

IMG_6857.jpeg

IMG_6881.jpeg

OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bringing phase 1 to a close

Literally two days left before the shake down run the Big Bend National Park. Trying to finish cargo storage and add a bit of amber light for nights and dusty days in the desert.

I just happened to find a really good deal on a set of Baja Designs LP9 Pro's. I could have done just as well with LP6's, but the deal was great. The SwitchPro's install really help cut out about 5lbs of wiring harness on this install. I also added a set of KC Hilites Flex4's at the pillars.

Not part of my original plan for the Diamondback, I decided to add the support bars to give me a bit more storage space on top.

Finally, my wife and I decided to keep the 40% seat in this build (I've deleted both in my JK). After pulling the 60% seat I wanted to build a platform that would be strong enough to hold a fridge and additional battery and would allow me access to the basket below. This was just a prototype...which worked ok, but wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Last pic. 1st test drive towing our teardrop. All good and finished with 12 hours to spare!

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_6956

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_6957

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_6960

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_6982

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_7012

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_7015

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_7032

OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This thing is just a pleasure to drive

Big Bend national park is a bit of a haul from just about everywhere, but an awesome park once you get there.

In Texas, towing a trailer into a head wind is pretty much a normal thing. I was impressed with how well BB handled the wind...much better than my JK. Mileage was about what I expected but the comfort level inside, the smooth ride and the awesomeness of an 8 speed transmission over the 5 speed in my JK really made this a better trip.

We weren't in the park but about 4 hours before we pulled our 1st car out of the sand...so I managed to pass the "recovery"test early on

2nd video is BB on 37's and stock suspension running through Black Gap Pass. If I'd stopped the build right here, I'd still be really happy with the way it turned out.

All in all, I was really impressed with how BB came together and even more excited about phase 2: Lift, axles and the engine swap

F16DEDB2-3FB7-4380-94EE-4C3F549E291D.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When my well thought-out plan met reality

I had timed this build to be done before we took off on a 2-month adventure north and west. It's late April and in Phase 2 of the build I want to get the suspension upgrades done before I send BB off to get the HEMI swap done. I've worked months in advance to get dates schedules for shops to do the work. In central Texas the wait can be a month or more for complicated things, so getting parts on time is a big deal. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me.

In December before I took delivery of BB I ordered a set of Dynatrac's new Profloat 60/44 axles. Same thing I have on my JK except the new rear axle would have been a true pro-float that would have allowed me to keep my 5-lug wheels. They should have been delivered by the end of January. Unfortunately come April the endless string of promises for delivery "within weeks" was a running joke in my house.

After running out of options (and time) I finally took the parts I had to a local shop to get installed. Still crossing fingers I'd see the axles before I sent BB off for the swap. So Phase 2A...

Terraflex 3.5" Alpine RT3 Short Arm Long Extension Suspension: I've been impressed with the alpine suspensions I've seen on other rigs and knew this was likely the direction I'd go. This kit flips the rear sway bar upside down and tucks it into the body well up and away from the axle, fixing one of the issues I've seen other Gladiators suffer from (catching the sway bar on rocks).

Apex Sway Bar Disconnects: Pricey but worth it. I have Rock Jocks on my Rubicon and for the most part they are outstanding. Unfortunately when towing a trailer in high winds on the highway the rocking of the vehicle gets a bit sporty. Given I planned to tow a heavier trailer with BB I didn't want to give up true sway bars in front. At the same time I wanted to be able disconnect them with ease. The Apex system is a great alternative.

40" Milestar Patagonia Tires. I would have preferred Nitto's but they were unavailable anywhere. I have Patagonia's on my JK and they have been a great tire although they are softer than most others and def won't last as long as the Nitto's would. Why 40's? because they look better on a lifted Gladiator and with 40's it stands a better chance of keeping up with the JK's on trails.

Phase 2A left BB sitting just a hair higher than my JK and with approach and departure angles that while not as good, were respectable

C8D85765-A0B3-4159-8214-4EE4023BFED0.jpeg

C9B52961-394A-4629-A23B-AD942C063C30.jpeg

IMG_7198.jpeg

IMG_7199.jpeg

IMG_7200.jpeg

IMG_7207.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg

IMG_7209.jpeg

HCBTAZ

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392JLUR, 2020 3500 GMC
Beautiful rig, great post with the pics and information!
Can't wait to hear about the Hemi swap.

OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Are you F***ing kidding me?

The HEMI 392 upgrade. This was the long pole in the tent. Finding a reputable shop that could do the swap before we were supposed to head out on our trip was tough. The shop that did my JK was building a new garage and couldn't take the work until fall. The go-to guys local to me were swamped and couldn't fit in a 2 week build until late August. I briefly considered shipping it to AMW4X4 in Michigan but even that would take to long.

Eventually I found an AMW certified shop in Houston Texas and made arrangements to drop off BB before memorial Day weekend. This was supposed to be a two week build and with some flex time given the holiday weekend I was supposed to have it back by mid-June, a month before we were due to leave.

WTF #1: At the start of week three I sent a note to the shop confirming that I could come down and pick BB up. The shop said "sorry we haven't had time to get to it yet, it will be a couple more weeks." I'm not out of time so I roll with it.

WTF #2: Two weeks later I check again. The response? "Sorry, we are short some parts and it may be a few weeks before we get them." Now we are screwed....my wife and I decide to delay the trip until early August in hopes we still get the vehicle.

WTF #3, 4, 5 & 6: The shop owner starts ghosting me. The guy working on my vehicle sends me a text and says he's been fired and is no longer working on it. Some other guy eventually calls me and says he's "filling in at the shop and needs me to send a payment for the transfer case swap."

In late July after not getting a response from the shop owner I send him a note and tell him I'm flying down. Suddenly he wants to communicate. When I get there I find BB mostly put back together but not drivable because there is a wiring problem that is causing a bunch of check engine lights.

After a couple hours of back and forth with AWM's service techs on the phone everyone agrees its time to ship BB to AMW's facility in Michigan and let the pros sort it out.

What a disaster!

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_8246

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_7238

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_8244

Jeep Gladiator The Blue Babe Build - 2021 HEMI 392 Swapped Mojave IMG_8245

HCBTAZ

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392JLUR, 2020 3500 GMC
Man I hope you have gotten it all resolved or will be? I'm shipping mine to a shop in New Braunfels, hoping I don't have any issues.

OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The best customer service in the industry

My wife and I ended up taking off on our delayed trip as I watched BB make its way to Michigan. A week later I checked in with the customer service rep at AMW and he tells me BB is in the bay and they are scheduled to do an assessment on it the following Monday. Him "I'll let you know what we find late next week."

Late the next week I get a call. "There are several fitment issues with your swap and some incorrect parts installed. We've ordered the right parts and have your jeep scheduled for work in 10 days."

Since my luck is running so good (not) I decide to see if its possible to redirect my Dynatrac axles which are supposed to ship "any day now" to Michigan - nope, not a chance....axles are still not ready and have no projected shipping date.

After 9 months of waiting on the axles I just cancel the order. The I call AMW back and ask if while they have it on the lift they can install their 1 ton axles. Turns out they had a set of axles due in right before BB was scheduled to go back up on the lift and they had some 8 lug wheels in the shop that would work out as well.

30th of September I get a photo dump from AMW of BB on the lift and work progressing. A week later while I'm on a work trip to the east coast I get a call from the service tech telling me they are about done...just finishing up a series of test drives so they can get the engine tune done. We talk shipping and timelines. In a flash of brilliance I decide it will be easier and faster for me to fly to Michigan and pick BB up myself...and besides I really want to stick my head in at their headquarters. So off I went.

AMW4X4 is an amazing shop. Great people, well organized and absolutely dedicated to customer care. Other than paying for my axles, at no point did anyone ask me to pay for anything...all the work they did was considered warranty work from the Houston shop.

I'm really, really happy with how this turned out....headed back to Texas now and absolutely in love with how well BB drives.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_9254.jpeg

IMG_9255.jpeg

IMG_9257.jpeg

IMG_9366.jpeg

IMG_9367.jpeg

IMG_09368.jpeg

IMG_09369.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Man I hope you have gotten it all resolved or will be? I'm shipping mine to a shop in New Braunfels, hoping I don't have any issues.
Exodus in New Braunfels did my JK swap. They will do good work for you.

OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to drive 700 miles with a transfer case with no fluid in it?

Yes it is....but you'll not hit 701 without it coming apart. Just ask me....

Day two after leaving AMW. I'm in the middle of Oklahoma making great time when I take my foot off the gas for something and the vehicle starts to shake like the ABS system is out of whack. Press down on the gas and it goes away. A few miles later I find a place to pull off the road and crawl underneath to see if something is seriously wrong.

Its past 5:30 in Michigan but I call the service team anyway and am surprised when they answer right away. With 4 of us on the phone I'm downloading a bunch DTC codes while they start looking for a local shop that I can pull into. After about :45 minutes we finally decide to try and limp BB back to Austin and try to get to one of the local shops. While I'm driving the AMW team is looking for a shop.

It takes me until 1am to get back...the service tech? He calls me about every two hours to check and see how I'm doing.

Shortening the story a bit. Round 2 Offroad in Austin took BB the next day but couldn't do an assessment until the following week. A few days into the week I get a photo dump and a call...."the root cause of the problem is the transfer case disintegrated...because there was no fluid in it. Ever!"

Apparently the Houston shop put the new transfer case on and never filled it. The AMW team didn't have to mess with the transfer case so they didn't check...although the service tech says they should have. Round 2 and AMW are talk and arranging a parts shipment from AMW to Round 2 to fix the t-case.

A week later I'm back in business and once again no one has asked me for $. AMW is still covering the bills to include Road 2's labor.

IMG_4330.JPEG

jn18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GLS63, 2020 AMG GTR Pro, 2021 GT500
Great thread. AMW has phenomenal customer service. I couldn't be happier with them.

Beautiful rig man. Enjoy it.

OP
OP
peteinaustin

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Back in business again....

Almost 6 months after I dropped BB off for the Hemi swap I finally got her back..this time with some confidence that she'll run the way I envisioned.

IMG_9624.jpeg

IMG_9687.jpeg

IMG_9688.jpeg
Sponsored