First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Electrician / Part owner Riverfront Honda Polaris
I have a 2021 Sport S with 14,000 miles. Weekend before last I was driving home when my engine light started flashing and running very
rough, I pulled off to the side of the road parked it, got a ride home, went back the next day and had it towed to
my local dealership. I was able to check to see what codes it had throwed, they were 0195, 0300, 0303 and 0304.
I called my local dealer and explained to them what had happened, they said they were busy and would get to it as
soon as they could, so a week goes by and they finally get to look at it. They found a misfire on cylinder 3 and said it was as simple as a
sparkplug and coil, but cylinder 4 is a different story, it had no compression. They proceeded to tell me that they are a busy dealership and
with vacations planned it will be another two weeks before than can do anything else with it. I called the dealership
I purchased it from, explained the situation to them, they told me if I could have it towed to them they would look at it within
a day. They looked at it today and the service advisor called and confirmed the issues, told me he tried to start it and it
wouldn't start. The service advisor called again later this afternoon and explained that the previous
dealership didn't put it back together and the issue with cylinder 4 was an issue with the exhaust valve and they would
know more tomorrow after talking with Stellantis on what step to take next. He also questioned me about my last oil change and I told him
I had it serviced regularly. He asked if I ever checked the oil and I explained that I hadn't, he proceeded to tell me that it didn't show any oil on the dipstick and he wasn't sure if it was burning oil or where the oil went.
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
I presume with 14k all your oil changes would be through jeep wave this far And if oil really was the issue, you would have gotten a red genie light and overheated before the misfiring.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No oil on the stick I'd assume would mean at least 2 maybe 3 quarts low. That low we're talking about half or less of the normal oil taking all the heat and contamination........ leading to really crappy oil.
That much oil loss would really lead to drips on the garage floor, or if burning it, smoke, bad small, etc.

Some of these have had cam and/or lifter/follower issues.
NO compression or low compression? That's one thing I'd wonder. The difference is important (at least to normal troubleshooting and diagnosis)

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I have a 2021 Sport S with 14,000 miles. Weekend before last I was driving home when my engine light started flashing and running very
rough, I pulled off to the side of the road parked it, got a ride home, went back the next day and had it towed to
my local dealership. I was able to check to see what codes it had throwed, they were 0195, 0300, 0303 and 0304.
I called my local dealer and explained to them what had happened, they said they were busy and would get to it as
soon as they could, so a week goes by and they finally get to look at it. They found a misfire on cylinder 3 and said it was as simple as a
sparkplug and coil, but cylinder 4 is a different story, it had no compression. They proceeded to tell me that they are a busy dealership and
with vacations planned it will be another two weeks before than can do anything else with it. I called the dealership
I purchased it from, explained the situation to them, they told me if I could have it towed to them they would look at it within
a day. They looked at it today and the service advisor called and confirmed the issues, told me he tried to start it and it
wouldn't start. The service advisor called again later this afternoon and explained that the previous
dealership didn't put it back together and the issue with cylinder 4 was an issue with the exhaust valve and they would
know more tomorrow after talking with Stellantis on what step to take next. He also questioned me about my last oil change and I told him
I had it serviced regularly. He asked if I ever checked the oil and I explained that I hadn't, he proceeded to tell me that it didn't show any oil on the dipstick and he wasn't sure if it was burning oil or where the oil went.
Sorry to hear this OP.

Any chance at all the first dealership drained the oil in preparation for doing something with it?

What's the delta between the min/max marks on the dip stick? A quarter of a quart? I wouldn't think it would have to be multiple quarts down. Clearly not down enough to throw the oil warning light, smoke, or leave oil on the ground from a leak.

I hope it gets resolved soon.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The stick indicates 1 quart low when it's at the minimum mark. There's similar distance between the quart low and bottom END of the stick, maybe a bit more. IF it's not on the stick, it's going to be 2 quarts down min.
Every engine I've worked on needed at least 2 quarts if the stick was dry.
Maybe this is an exception, but if so, the first I've seen.
Sponsored