The Important of Painted Fender Flares on Stock Jeep

Myka L

First Name
Myka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
About to pull trigger on a Sting Grey and I just have this thing with the lack of painted fenders. I was thinking of going black instead so they sort of match and black was my third choice anyway. They cost $575 to replace fenders and with paint and installation I got a feeling it will be closer to $800. Shipping will make it hard to sell originals even if new.

Am I crazy or do they kill the look of stock jeeps? I am not putting on the big tires or making real modifications. I saw a comment in Sarge Green forum about how much better that color looks with the matching fenders as well. Maybe it depends on the color? Any thoughts? I know taste is taste but I am asking about other peoples taste.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I kinda wish I would have gone with basic black fenders and top. Rocky Mountain pin stripes suck. Also, I could mash my fender into a rock and it wouldn’t really matter, just add some 303 protectant and you could barely notice.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you have no plans to drive it off road, painted flares start to make sense if that's in fact what you prefer.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
It’s all about preference and what you like. I like both with and without. I’m attaching some pictures of non painted ones to help you. The vehicle does have the mopar lift with 35’s and 17” wheels.

FBF06447-E932-4F06-B77D-13E26EEE4525.jpeg

0FFC9F4E-E340-4FFC-B05D-8B2EE9F262B4.jpeg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
About to pull trigger on a Sting Grey and I just have this thing with the lack of painted fenders. I was thinking of going black instead so they sort of match and black was my third choice anyway. They cost $575 to replace fenders and with paint and installation I got a feeling it will be closer to $800. Shipping will make it hard to sell originals even if new.

Am I crazy or do they kill the look of stock jeeps? I am not putting on the big tires or making real modifications. I saw a comment in Sarge Green forum about how much better that color looks with the matching fenders as well. Maybe it depends on the color? Any thoughts? I know taste is taste but I am asking about other peoples taste.
Are you talking about having a dealer replace and paint fenders on a Wrangler in stock at a dealer?

Order them from the factory if you like them because you will regret it every time you look at your Wrangler after buying it.

PersonallyI like the look of the painted fenders.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct: $800 to $1,000 is closer to the final tab, once you add the cost of the parts, and to have them professionally painted.

Painted fenders is a personal thing; I always liked them. Back when I owned JKs, dirt and mud would get into the textured surface of the black fenders, rendering them a total pain to clean.

The black fenders on JL have a smoother finish, making them easier to clean. But I still find a Wrangler with matching top and fenders looks totally bitching. That’s the look I went for with my JL.

nc_oc=AQl4y7hiI_Oc8KPW7m06jfuUy7bwiqs348ZCo4n-r5qv30mGVfK94oeZOw2rZ_Zdjso&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Good luck!

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
All Wranglers have added on fenders that stick out from the body tub and to me it's an iconic look. Mine are black even tho I opted for a body colored hardtop. As far as my not having painted flare's. I have heavy scratches in them and think little of it. They really don't show and add character IMO. Like wheel's with rock rash, a "Jeep Thing"

Last edited:

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,

these things take a lot of gravel abuse
if i went painted I would definitely do mud flaps, painted ones are awesome if you don't plan on tight trails or branch scratches. even then there's always buffing or touch up paints, or leave it as pinstriped and nicked up.
Flat Willy's style aftermarket look great too, etc.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Another thing about painted fenders. It's a very good idea to cover them with clear paint protection film because they get beat up from the front tires throwing rocks and debris at them. The better paint protection film is self-healing. The scratches heal and disappear when the sun heats them up or when you pour hot water on them.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I like the painted fenders more but went with the black on my JL order. If you wheel around rocks or brush, your fenders will get scratched and damaged. I had a rock damage a black fender on my JK. I purchased a used, but nearly new one online for 90.00. Easy fix. A painted fender would have been for for expensive and complicated to get fixed.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I like the black fenders but kinda wish I ordered the sting gray hardtop. I think a bit of contrast is a good thing, but have seen quite a few body colored hardtops w/ matching painted fenders and that's a good look too :)

Would be more concerned about paint damage to the fenders though as they are in a very susceptible place, if undamaged fenders are your thing. And until any damage occurs to mine, it will be my thing, lol :)

OP
OP
Myka L

Myka L

First Name
Myka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It’s all about preference and what you like. I like both with and without. I’m attaching some pictures of non painted ones to help you. The vehicle does have the mopar lift with 35’s and 17” wheels.

FBF06447-E932-4F06-B77D-13E26EEE4525.jpeg

0FFC9F4E-E340-4FFC-B05D-8B2EE9F262B4.jpeg
Appreciate the pictures. These pictures looks good.
Where I live, trails are a dream only, but we get snow. I should have mentioned that.
One of the issues with factory orders is you cant always find what your looking for on local lot but factory you have to have a little faith sometimes.

I am looking at Sport S or Altitude and Altitude doesn't allow matching tops.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it’s the white balance but that Jeep doesn’t look firecracker red.
Correct. I was against the sun and it was incredibly white outside that day, rendering my Firecracker to look burgundy.

Here’s a better shot of the Firecracker red with the sun to the side.
nc_oc=AQl6teDDlPF5JQnI1TuV5Gt3o7XdHUpBuyrFUBvETaY-oOt9DfPHaIlz9Kfol3jRtrY&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I like the black plastic for two reasons:

As others have said, it’s an iconic Jeep look. To me, painted fenders make it look closer to a hummer or other brand rigs.

Rocks/debris thrown off the front wheel will damage paint, unless you protect it with films. Scrub the plastic ones with a brush and wipe with 303 and they look like new.
Sponsored