Sponsored

Think I’m taking myself out of the Gladiator game

SCJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1952 M38, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2015 F150
Vehicle Showcase
i just went down to a dealer to check out a Gladiator Rubicon. I actually went to with intentions to buy it. Billet Silver Rubicon. Problem 1 - they said no test drives. I said alright well have a good day, I can’t buy a car without a test drive. Some hemming and hawing and said well if you are serious we can take a brief ride. When he comes back he says we’ve added a $3500 market adjustment to the price. I said no thanks I’ll just move on with my day and start to walk off. He quickly backtracks and says hold on, goes off to the “sales manager” and comes back saying we’ll wave the adjustment if you are serious. So off we go on the 2 mile test drive.. everything was fine.

Come back and start a walkaround. He wants to start the deal. The problem was I wasn’t sold by the test ride as much as I wanted to be. I didn’t fall in love and feel like it gave me something that revolutionary. It just didn’t feel like it was enough truck for me. I need to tow my boat, the ride was too compliant and the motor has no guts. It was a fantastic Jeep , just not enough truck DNA for what we use. I’m disappointed as I was looking forward to getting back in a Jeep but it just didn’t make sense. Going to take a step back , let the market settle out and let more owner opinions roll in.
Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Definitely a good idea to take your time with this purchase. If you're not already a fan of our a Wrangler drives then I can totally see not liking the feel. I'm almost tempted to wait 2 years to buy one because I think there will be a lot of people buying one to be the first, or because they look cool, then returning them because a Jeep is not the same thing as most other vehicles. You're smart to be reluctant now.

Besides all that, you won't win a price for being the first guy in your neighborhood, city, office that has one. I just stopped my dealer today, but they only had 2 and someone was in the middle of driving one while the other was parked in the showroom. It was tempting, after sitting in one, to do something stupid. At the end of the day, it's a vehicle... its cool and new, but not worth the premium (the Jeep I sat in had an $8k "market adjustment" added to it.) I'll go back in for a test drive (probably more than once) before I'll sign up for that new expense.

OP
OP
SCJeeps

SCJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1952 M38, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2015 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I think if they would have put a Hemi in it I would overlook everything else and be happy. 285hp /260 ftlbs is not enough for a 5000 lb vehicle. I love my wife’s WK2 with Hemi and 8sp. My guess is that my perceived truck ride issues would be different on different tires. The solution for me might be a Sport S with max tow. So I will step aside let the market settle out. This is not a limited production vehicle, so why pay a premium for it. These dealers act like they are only getting a few of these. FCA will make as many as they can sell.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I think if they would have put a Hemi in it I would overlook everything else and be happy. 285hp /260 ftlbs is not enough for a 5000 lb vehicle. I love my wife’s WK2 with Hemi and 8sp. My guess is that my perceived truck ride issues would be different on different tires. The solution for me might be a Sport S with max tow. So I will step aside let the market settle out. This is not a limited production vehicle, so why pay a premium for it. These dealers act like they are only getting a few of these. FCA will make as many as they can sell.
Or will they? I can’t help but wonder if they will keep the production numbers down to about only 75,000 per year so they can justify the high price to the buyers as a limited production truck? Simple supply and demand.

Sponsored

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
I am like you it’s a lot of money for many more options of some really nice trucks. Hell you can pickup a freshly used Raptor and no lie I just traded my 2018 Raptor with 11k miles on her. My favorite dealer gave me 60k trade and sold her the next day for 63k. I picked up a Ford F-250 Lariat Magnetic color Diesel with the Black out package.
07DB58B1-2308-4FC4-88B7-18E71908BEA5.jpeg
C654CAA5-AB25-4F3B-A81E-78EC0D828AEF.jpeg

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Buying a hot ticket off the lot is insane. Do your homework on this forum. You’ll save thousands off MSRP when you order one how you want it. If you want to know how it drives just take a JLU out for a spin.

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
I test drive at a dealership that I had no intentions of buying from because they were asking over MSRP and they knew it. The salesman was a complete jerk and the test drive was only about 2 miles, I was completely turned off by the whole experience and i think this is what initially changed my mind about buying the truck. Fast forward 3 weeks later my local dealer gets his shipment in an I spent about 3 hours checking out and took a long test drive, I am now wanting the Gladiator again, but my dealer won't come off MSRP. I'm back in the hunt again.

Last edited:

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I'm honestly up in the air at this point. It was already a lot of money in my opinion, and now I'm looking at another 1k since the treadlightly discount isn't happening. I might grab a 2018 wrangler lease for 24 months and see how the gladiator is doing at the end if the lease.

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I'm honestly up in the air at this point. It was already a lot of money in my opinion, and now I'm looking at another 1k since the treadlightly discount isn't happening. I might grab a 2018 wrangler lease for 24 months and see how the gladiator is doing at the end if the lease.
Same. I was sold on a gladiator when they were announced, even got vanity plates 2 months ago that only make sense on a gladiator. Now I'm pricing out a JLUR for a lease, and then maybe go to a Gladiator at the end of the lease. My only issue now is that dealers (Canada), are saying the order banks are closed for '19 MY, and there's no pre built jeeps I'm interested in.

Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Probably some good deals on the JL to be had right now, and in 24 months the diesel and a bunch of colors will be available. Not a bad plan

Kdmerchant

First Name
Ketan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gobi Rubicon
I’ve owned 4 wranglers. After the trade in offer I got for my JKUR and the “We’re only selling at MSRP” plus a $1000 add on for the the dealer installed Bed-liner I don’t think I’m interested in a JT anymore. It didn’t drive much better than my JK and I have a trailer if I need to haul stuff anyway. To me, this dealership and brand are damaged goods now. Bad taste in my mouth. Good luck recovering my legacy business...

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I totally get what the OP is saying. My only suggestion would be to wait until the end of the year, at the earliest. If you still have any interest in the JT, then go get a GOOD deal on one. It’s a LOT of money to ask for a mid sized truck. Even one at cool as this one is.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I can’t buy a car without a test drive
lol, why not? every almost every LE buyer didn't drive one before they committed. I'm committed to a lease and I've only driven a Jeep once 4 miles around the dealership.

just think of it as a much nicer, albeit bigger Wrangler. lmao

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I test drive at a dealership that I had no intentions of buying from because they were asking over MSRP and they knew it. The salesman was a complete jerk and the test drive was only about 2 miles, I was completely turned off by the whole experience and i think this is what initially changed my mind about buying the truck. Fast forward 3 weeks later my local dealer gets his shipment in an I spent about 3 hours checking out and took a long test drive, I am now wanting the Gladiator again, but my dealer won't come off MSRP. I'm back in the hunt again.
don't let one A-hole ruin your experience. You know how many cellphone sales people are idiots (i use to be in wireless sales for 8 years)? MOST, do you still own a cellphone? Probably!

Just do your homework, wait, find a buddy on this forum that has one and ask if you can test drive theirs if no dealers near you will.

But you need to have the right mindset, nobody is going to hand you the best experience, for the best price, with all the options you wanted. If you really want it, you have to work for it. You might have to fly to Idaho for it.

At the end of the day, the hurdles are many, perhaps too many for you, and that's alright. You just need to set off with the proper expectations.
Sponsored

Last edited: