Thinking about running freedom panels only

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Since it’s getting warm here in NC, I’m thinking about running freedom panels only and keeping the doors open. On your, removing the freedom panels a lot of the time. I have a hard top and no soft top or bikini top. I don’t have room in my small townhouse garage so I’d be purchasing the Mopar rain cover.

My concerns are as follows. Does the mopar rain cover work with the front freedom panels in place? I opted for the leather interior on my Overland and I’m concerned about ruining the leather in the rear seat if I got caught driving in the rain or a pop up shower caught me by surprise. Thoughts for best way to protect the rear seat? Fold it down? Towels? I have the 8.4” screen and alpine system, not as concerned about up front or the Bluetooth speaker. Is the factory subwoofer water resistant?

This is all to be done on the cheap since my job hours and pay have been reduced for an undetermined amount of time... I’m just trying to enjoy my Jeep more for the spring and summer since my original plan of buying a soft top is not a viable option at the moment...
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for posting this. I'm not able to supply answers, but would like to know! It seems like "freedom panels only'" only would be a coolest configuration. On a trail you would be able to remove one or both conveniently. I would have paid money for that on my 97 Sahara instead of the bikini top. Hope somebody weighs in on pros and cons...

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
I don't have an answer to your specific questions, but I will chime in that I've been driving around with just my freedom panels on for a few weeks now and love it. Reminds me having a bikini top on my yj.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
On my Wrangler I have neoprene seat covers. Neoprene will protect your underlying seats and drys pretty quickly but does absorb some moisture so your pants will be wet if you don't wait long enough. I also removed all the carpets and coated the interior floors with bead liner. This formula works great for leaving the top off for months at a time here in NC. You will still want some kind of bikini top or cover. I plan to do this to my Gladiator but I have yet to get to that project.

Question: I am not sure you could safely run the Freedom panels without the hard top. I seems to me that part of what keeps them in place is locked to the back part of the rest of the hard top. Just wonder if they would not rattle excessively or even potentially fly off with a hard hit. Never tried it just wondering how it would work in practice.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
On my Wrangler I have neoprene seat covers. Neoprene will protect your underlying seats and drys pretty quickly but does absorb some moisture so your pants will be wet if you don't wait long enough. I also removed all the carpets and coated the interior floors with bead liner. This formula works great for leaving the top off for months at a time here in NC. You will still want some kind of bikini top or cover. I plan to do this to my Gladiator but I have yet to get to that project.

Question: I am not sure you could safely run the Freedom panels without the hard top. I seems to me that part of what keeps them in place is locked to the back part of the rest of the hard top. Just wonder if they would not rattle excessively or even potentially fly off with a hard hit. Never tried it just wondering how it would work in practice.
I’m pretty sure you can run the front panels only. I did it on my JKU Rubicon.

Sponsored

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
I’m pretty sure you can run the front panels only. I did it on my JKU Rubicon.
The JK was designed for that. A little tab folded down to contact the roll bar if the rear of the hardtop was off. This allowed the bolts to be inserted to snug down the back. No rattle at all. I don’t have a JL/JT yet so I don’t know if it has the same design.

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
You can--I do it. Just make sure all of your fasteners are locked down. You don't have the screw down things like the JKs have.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
You can--I do it. Just make sure all of your fasteners are locked down. You don't have the screw down things like the JKs have.
Yeah, when I first got mine, I thought the screw things were missing.

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
So just clip everything back on as if hardtop was there and it holds ?

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
So just clip everything back on as if hardtop was there and it holds ?
yep... easypeasy... I ran just the freedom panels for a few days because I burn pretty easy. Went 4 wheeling and drove down the interstate without issues.

408A5A64-B4BF-4139-A6C5-150A3D5B1DAE.jpeg

759E5EA3-1BF1-475E-9E92-9DBBDB5F786C.jpeg

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I guess anything is possible but would think that on a bumpy off road trip that they might just bounce pretty hard.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I guess anything is possible but would think that on a bumpy off road trip that they might just bounce pretty hard.
just think of it this way... they stay on just like your hard top, the only difference is that the back hardtop has a weather seal on it pushing against the panel. If your panels are locked down they are locked down. I did have them on while I did a trail and they never once had an issue... just my .02

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
yep... easypeasy... I ran just the freedom panels for a few days because I burn pretty easy. Went 4 wheeling and drove down the interstate without issues.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking about running freedom panels only 759E5EA3-1BF1-475E-9E92-9DBBDB5F786C

Jeep Gladiator Thinking about running freedom panels only 759E5EA3-1BF1-475E-9E92-9DBBDB5F786C

WOW! I always wondered but never tried with my JK or with the JT. Wonderful to know that I dont necessarily have to buy a bonnet or sun shade until an after market soft top is released.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

Thank you for posting that. Nice Jeep btw

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
We are planning on a day trip on Sunday and driving several hours with no top, Freedom panels only. Its not supposed to rain, but I guess we shall see. I'm really only concerned about the leather on the rear seats and the subwoofer if it gets wet. I'm not sure how weather resistant it is. I read somewhere that the Alpine amp is up in the dash, is that correct? I'm going to fold the rear seat down and bring towels and I'm sure the leather will be fine...
Sponsored