First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC Acadia 2012 GMC Sierra 1954 Chevy BelAir
Occupation
retired
Hi I am new to the site and am thinking of buying a 2022 Gladiator.I have never owned a Jeep but always loved the look.When I first saw the Gladiator it was love at first sight.For the past year I have been researching and reading reviews on the Gladiator and hope to test drive one soon. My main concern is the steering, every review I have read states that their is a lot of road wander on the highway.If I buy one it will see mainly highway use and probably no off-roading.Right now I own a 2012 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton that I will be keeping as my winter plow truck.Could any of you owners give me some input on the steering issue and any other likes and dislikes you may have.Reviews from people who own one I think is the best way to get true info. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Welcome, Harry!

I think it's all relative. Mine (Rubicon) gets pushed around in the wind sometimes but I don't see it as an issue. I roadtripped a few of the older generation JK wranglers and the gladiator drives like a Cadillac in comparison. I bet you'll love it. I'm about 1,800 miles in and have zero regrets so far.

Maybe try to rent one? I know Enterprise stocks them. I rented a Sport S for a week a year or two ago and that sold me. However - the Rubicon I got is miles and miles better than that one was IMO.

chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S, 2021 Wrangler Freedom Edit
Occupation
Sr Quality Manager
Never had a problem with mine. Proper tire inflation is a must, as most will tell you they are way over inflated off the lot. I think mime were at 42psi when I bought it, dropped it to 36 no issues. Yes, wind can be an issue at times, it has the aerodynamics of a brick. Just remember it is a Jeep not a sports car.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Hi I am new to the site and am thinking of buying a 2022 Gladiator.I have never owned a Jeep but always loved the look.When I first saw the Gladiator it was love at first sight.For the past year I have been researching and reading reviews on the Gladiator and hope to test drive one soon. My main concern is the steering, every review I have read states that their is a lot of road wander on the highway.If I buy one it will see mainly highway use and probably no off-roading.Right now I own a 2012 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton that I will be keeping as my winter plow truck.Could any of you owners give me some input on the steering issue and any other likes and dislikes you may have.Reviews from people who own one I think is the best way to get true info. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.
Just to hopefully put a dent in a lot of these “loose steering“ rumors, I’ve often thought of posting a video as I’m cruising down the highway with my hands off the steering wheel on a long straightaway.

Maybe I just have a unicorn? My truck tracks straight as an arrow and steers as good or better than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned. Much better than the Tacoma I had prior to it which felt more like an ox cart than a pickup.

MoxiesDad

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
Have to totally agree with post #2. My JT Rubicon drives like a Cadillac compared to my TJ Rubicon (which I've driven from OH to SD and back without issue).

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome. I think you really need to go drive one.

my Gladiator is my first jeep. It definitely takes a bit more effort to keep it centered in a lane on the highway, but it becomes second nature eventually. I've got 5000 miles on mine and am getting better at it. ha.

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
Steering issue was resolved on Wrangler and Gladiators with new steering box around Aug 2020. My 2022 drives straight.

Florida Mojave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2018 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave
Welcome Harry!
Same idea that 869kph had, go rent one. Especially since you have never owned a Jeep.
You can't do diddily on a test drive especially with the salesman with you. I rented a S model from Avis and drove it 1200 miles. I already knew I wanted one but this helped me decide on the model too...as far as the steering goes I have not had any issues...I'll be rollin up on 11k miles very soon.
Best of luck with your new adventure!!

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I think there are a lot of people out there who like the idea of owning a Gladiator. However, you need to know exactly what you are getting yourself into. My 2021 Mojave steers beautifully and rides like a dream (for a Jeep). Things like wind noise, road noise, and overall handling are just nowhere near the same as a 'regular' vehicle, so you can't expect the same driving experience.

You'll know if a Gladiator is for you once you test drive it. As others have suggested, see if you can rent one or at least take it for an extended test drive.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
It will feel weird at first but you will get used to it. I have a hard time keeping my wife’s 370z straight since the steering is so tight! It’s a learning curve. With the long wheelbase of the Gladiator, it’s much better than my old 2 door JK.

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Like the previous guys said… you need to drive it… and for awhile… the solid axle and steering you will have to get use to. Larger tires and lift will excrebate the issues of driving and you have to beef up the steering up front, even with just a level it will do this. If you have never experienced it, you will have to drive it. That said I love my Jeeps, I’ve treated them well and they have treated me well back … they take way more money to make them ride at or better than stock.

Good luck sir.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Overland is the trim to get for you

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Welcome, Harry!

I think it's all relative. Mine (Rubicon) gets pushed around in the wind sometimes but I don't see it as an issue. I roadtripped a few of the older generation JK wranglers and the gladiator drives like a Cadillac in comparison. I bet you'll love it. I'm about 1,800 miles in and have zero regrets so far.

Maybe try to rent one? I know Enterprise stocks them. I rented a Sport S for a week a year or two ago and that sold me. However - the Rubicon I got is miles and miles better than that one was IMO.
when I had my Rubicon it wasn't bad in the wind, the mojave on the other hand is horrendous

Shawnu22

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Project Manager
I have a 2022 Sport diesel and it drove perfect off the lot, just added a 2" Mopar lift and 35" Recon Grapplers and.....it drives even better! Hands off steering wheel and tracks like a dream. Be careful reading to much of the online hype, I have to be careful after parking it, I almost walked into a few light poles looking back at it!

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I have the Overland...ordered early May 2019, received 19 July, 2019. Around 16K miles on it now. ZERO issues with wandering. Tires are around 38 psi. Yes, the wind affects it but so does the wind affect my 2019 GC Ltd.

The Overland package has a little softer suspension as it's the 'luxury' package of the lot. Doesn't mean it's less capable off road (not comparing to the Rubicon with front and rear lockers) as any of the others or, lesser in the ability to tow (not comparing to the MaxTow).

Do it!!! You won't regret it đź‘Ť đź‘Ť đź‘Ť đź‘Ť đź‘Ť
Sponsored