First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
So I threw the IFP back on and “charged” it like stated from the dealer in the above post.... and wala... noticeably more stable on the highway, more stable over bumps and pot holes, better than the adjustable ATS on max setting.

I would not waste the money on either ATS, definitely not the adjustable one. I am also not a fan of the ATS design, the only thing that holds the end on with the bracket is two very small Allen bolts. They are only torqued to 12 lbs. Fox said they were having issues with these backing out so they decide to adding putting lock tight on these in the install directions. Kinda sketch if you ask me.

And just so everyone is on the same page the IFP is closed on one end and is still neutral. It is NOT unidirectional, that information posted was incorrect. If that was the case all stock Jeeps and stabilizers would be pulling to one side. If you put a regular suspension shock on, yes that would be the case.
Glad I could contribute something worth while..
Sponsored

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
So I had the factory stabilizer and upgraded to the Fox IFP 2.0. The IFP was having the issue of it would push outward, when it was supposed to be neutral. I said what the heck so I’ll just go ahead and upgrade to the ATS, which I threw on last night.

To be honest I’m not that impressed. Even at the highest setting I wouldn’t say it’s not tight or firm. I was expecting a more drastic difference.

I think I had a more drastic improvement from the stock to the IFP, than the IFP to ATS.

Also I have found my steering pulls to the left now with the ATS. Here are some pictures, the first is the left lane, the second is in the right lane:

1D0A41AF-0A8D-439B-A2CF-D1BB09EEBA73.jpeg

44D62867-95B6-4529-B8EA-F4507A4F0571.jpeg
Just picked mine up today. Steering wheel looks like that while driving. Did get the Fox 2" lift with Fox stabilizer bar and 35s. Steering is not good. Way too much play at highway speeds. My JKs have had oversize tires, but weren't lifted, so I'm not sure how much play to expect if anything. Should any be expected? I'd been told that's WHY I need the stabilizer, to get rid of the play in the steering.

I've already reached to the shop that did it. Waiting to hear back.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked mine up today. Steering wheel looks like that while driving. Did get the Fox 2" lift with Fox stabilizer bar and 35s. Steering is not good. Way too much play at highway speeds. My JKs have had oversize tires, but weren't lifted, so I'm not sure how much play to expect if anything. Should any be expected? I'd been told that's WHY I need the stabilizer, to get rid of the play in the steering.

Stabilizer doesn't get rid of play - it merely dampens the movement of the wheels or steering from side to side- takes out wobble and shake and gives more feel. If there's play, there's play - play means you have to move the steering wheel BEFORE the wheels respond.
1" of play means you move the steering wheel 1" before the wheels begin to respond and so on.
Stabilizer can help with "wander" which can help things feel like there's less play because you do less correcting.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload

Which stabilizer did they put on? I was shocked when I found of the ATS bracket was connected via those two small Allen bolts.

I will say I’m 100% satisfied with the Fox IFP. Just make sure you charge it first.

Last edited:

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which stabilizer did they put on? I was shocked when I found of the ATS bracket was connected via those two small Allen bolts.

I will saw I’m 100% satisfied with the Fox IFP. Just make sure you charge it first.
I'll post a pic tomorrow if it's not pouring down rain. I know its Fox, and I didn't ask for anything in particular. So I'm guessing something fairly standard.

@ShadowsPapa - Understood. Think I knew that somewhere in the depths of my brain. Still way more play than I expected. Constant corrections at 70 cruising down the tollway. I drove it before they did the mods, but it was probably less than 2 miles and not at highway speeds. The steering wheel was straight though. That has to get fixed. Will drive my OCD crazy.

So is there nothing to be done about the 'play'? Or something else I need to do?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll post a pic tomorrow if it's not pouring down rain. I know its Fox, and I didn't ask for anything in particular. So I'm guessing something fairly standard.

@ShadowsPapa - Understood. Think I knew that somewhere in the depths of my brain. Still way more play than I expected. Constant corrections at 70 cruising down the tollway. I drove it before they did the mods, but it was probably less than 2 miles and not at highway speeds. The steering wheel was straight though. That has to get fixed. Will drive my OCD crazy.

So is there nothing to be done about the 'play'? Or something else I need to do?
I'd check tire pressure to make sure that they weren't left over-inflated. Check toe-in - you can do that with a tape measure.
The front of the front tires should be approximately 1/8" closer together than the rear of the front tires. Easier to check with two people but you can do it with a good tape measure. Pick something like a center rib or thread on the front tires, measure and compare that to the same points on the rear of the front tires. The front of the front tires should "toe in" 1/8".

There's a lot that can be checked, and if there's still excessive play - a dealer needs to check things out. There appears to be multiple causes of similar symptoms. Steering sector in some cases is being replaced, at least two cases of forum members having cross-threaded track bar bolts, improperly torqued parts in the front steering and suspension, and so on.
Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
What do you do to "charge" it? I'm admittedly ignorant on this, and couldn't find any info online.
I’ve heard people say charge or prime, either way same thing. I have attached directions from another members post from this thread, this was notes from his work ticket:

501D3290-31D0-4CDD-B1D2-29EEBBDE707C.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve heard people say charge or prime, either way same thing. I have attached directions from another members post from this thread, this was notes from his work ticket:

501D3290-31D0-4CDD-B1D2-29EEBBDE707C.jpeg
Oh, ok. Thanks for that - like we used to do with new shocks right out of the box. Run them full out and full in a few times to work air out and get them "primed" in a sense. So basically, work them to the extremes both directions a few times - not TOO fast, to move the oil in and any air out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone wondering about my comment on those little bolts, just two of them, the light torque applied, and what it's holding - torque on two small bolts like that is extremely unreliable because torque can be impacted by the thread pitch, plating used on the bolt, and many other factors. You could reach that torque value and not have enough STRETCH on the bolts to provide the CLAMPING FORCE needed to keep the parts from slipping or sliding. We aren't talking the sheer of the bolts, or tensile strength of the bolts, we're talking clamping force. That's a formula with some unknowns.
The idea is to have enough stretch on the bolts that the two parts being held together act as one.
We aren't talking angles, threads, pitch, whatever. We are talking bolt stretch and clamping force resulting from such stretch.
Two small bolts with that light torque applied isn't in my mind enough clamping force. You are talking a whole lot of force trying to make that bracket move - and at some point a jolt is likely to cause the bracket to move and sheer the bolts or at least cause them to be stretched beyond their limit and break. BUT - if you want to check me on it, there are formulas you can use to plug in the bolt size, torque and other criteria and numbers and see what sort of force you end up with.
For critical apps (not saying this is one) the only real way to guarantee enough clamping force is to tighten using bolt stretch but that's another topic, sort of..
It is related to why it's really bad when you find cross-threaded bolts involved in steering and suspension parts.........

Anyone wondering or wanting more info, look up bolt torque, tension, stretch, clamping force and other key words - then I won't get into a 2 page thing here LOL

Sponsored

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd check tire pressure to make sure that they weren't left over-inflated. Check toe-in - you can do that with a tape measure.
The front of the front tires should be approximately 1/8" closer together than the rear of the front tires. Easier to check with two people but you can do it with a good tape measure. Pick something like a center rib or thread on the front tires, measure and compare that to the same points on the rear of the front tires. The front of the front tires should "toe in" 1/8".

There's a lot that can be checked, and if there's still excessive play - a dealer needs to check things out. There appears to be multiple causes of similar symptoms. Steering sector in some cases is being replaced, at least two cases of forum members having cross-threaded track bar bolts, improperly torqued parts in the front steering and suspension, and so on.
Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!
The installer picked it up this morning and took it back to fix the steering wheel and check things out. I get to pick it up in the morning, so we'll find out. In the meantime, I got another Gladiator to drive as a loaner, no mods. I paid special attention to the steering. About 1/4 to half inch of play in the wheel itself. That doesn't bother me, and I'd say most vehicles have some sort of play there. Way better than the old power steering. That s#!* was terrible. I did notice I was still making noticeable corrections while driving. Not as noticeable as mine with the lift and tires, but it exists. I've never driven a JL, but this seems to be quite different than my JK. Maybe I just read too much on here so my brain subconsciously locked onto it. Maybe its just the JT and that's how its gonna be.

I did check the tires. Forgot to check my tire pressure 1st thing. Drove from East of Dallas to Ft. Worth, and it sat for a couple hours. Pressure was at 39. Believe the placard states 36 cold, so we're close to within spec.

Jeeps have always had squirrely steering. My daughter couldn't wait to drive my 1st JK. I warned about the steering. She drove about a block, stopped and got out. Never drove it again. So we know its it's own beast. I just didn't expect the JT to be THAT much different.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
So a few months ago I picked up the fox TS stabilizer to throw on my truck. I will say it was a lighter feeling but smoother than the stock unit. Since I put it on I still have somewhat flighty steering (but I know that my caster is off which will be remedied shortly with my MC lift) fast forward to today... I installed synergy’s trackbar and sector shaft brace... wow Just wow... it shored my looseness up. Now I need to get my lift... till next time all.

02FB0EE5-9D0B-4673-8967-655E94B96031.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So a few months ago I picked up the fox TS stabilizer to throw on my truck. I will say it was a lighter feeling but smoother than the stock unit. Since I put it on I still have somewhat flighty steering (but I know that my caster is off which will be remedied shortly with my MC lift) fast forward to today... I installed synergy’s trackbar and sector shaft brace... wow Just wow... it shored my looseness up. Now I need to get my lift... till next time all.

I read an article by a suspension engineer talking about solid axles, and the track bar design - and his thinking was that there's still too much flex in today's designs.
Well, you took care of some of that.
I can't say I have a problem, but after seeing a youtube video about that track bar brace - I'm thinking of doing that anyway, just because. I'm sort of OCD about steering and suspension and brake things........
Interesting - you aren't the first person to suggest these can be a help.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Do you have a link or any more info on it?
Thanks!